Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Temporary water trap  (Read 710 times)

wlmartin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Temporary water trap
« on: August 19, 2014, 06:06:44 am »

I have the premise of the trap in my head (a room that fills with water and expels the water when done)

But to make this work, how can I create a floodgate in the floor?

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Temporary water trap
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 06:29:09 am »

You can't put a floodgate in the floor, you have to use a lever operated floor hatch.

wlmartin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 07:17:47 am »

I don't want to do that... for reasons

Basically I want my bad guys to drop a tile, land in a normal room, i flood it, i empty it.
However if I create a floor hatch I will also drop the body and I can't loot it.

Ideally I need a grate that opens/closes somehow.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 07:43:00 am »

Build a floor grate, preferably one that is the product of a strange mood (as to prevent building destroyers from breaking it), and then on the next level down, build a floodgate
Code: [Select]
....#....
...._X___(Drains)

Where . = wall, _= open floor, X = floodgate, and # = floor grate

wlmartin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 10:34:57 am »

Build a floor grate, preferably one that is the product of a strange mood (as to prevent building destroyers from breaking it), and then on the next level down, build a floodgate
Code: [Select]
....#....
...._X___(Drains)

Where . = wall, _= open floor, X = floodgate, and # = floor grate

Yeah i was thinking that as well, just was thinking about it backward (floodgate on top of grate instead of your suggestion)

/facepalm

Cool, looks interesting... now to try and build it 100 times before i get it right and then realize that once I have the preset conditions and scenario to deploy it, i might as well have just used a spike trap

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 11:11:37 am »

...preferably one that is the product of a strange mood (as to prevent building destroyers from breaking it)...
For the record, building destroyers can still deconstruct it. They can't destroy it, but they can deconstruct it.

For stuff like this, I would have a timed retracting bridge with a floor of grates under it. The bridge should also mean no mud, and no plants.

SeelenJägerTee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 11:29:40 am »

Just pump the water out from above through a floor grate.
As long as the building destroyer can't path to the floor grate he can't destroy/deconstruct it.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 01:27:45 pm »

Just pump the water out from above through a floor grate.
As long as the building destroyer can't path to the floor grate he can't destroy/deconstruct it.
That would work too. I'd use a few pumps dispersed evenly through the hall so you don't have to deal with too much evaporation. It would likely require more power (or useless idling dwarves), but would have less complexity than timed retracting drawbridges. You also don't have to worry about the possibility that something doesn't drown, and the bridge either won't open (too large a creature) or drops an enemy into part of your fortress (the collection area).

I had a similar trap, it was intended to push building destroyers down a pit, and the bridge would close and trap them there. It had a failsafe, if the bridge couldn't retract then it would stay sealed until I could pump magma in to obsidianize it.

if you have a 3 tile wide hallway, you may be able to perform a similar setup.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This way, if something decides not to drown, you can still eliminate it, and get some obsidian in the process.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 09:27:46 pm »

You could adapt something like this design.

All you need to make it work is an aquifer, instead of the magma sea.  And of course the aquifer is a source of infinite power , as in (M)achine power, not... ultimate mwahahah power. ;)

I've gone the route of fluid drowning chambers with logic circuits (water & gear, both styles), retracting bridges, snorkel sensors, reservoirs, massive drainage arrangements, soft seals, hard seals, etc, etc.  It can be done, but there are simpler designs, depending on your goals.