Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 51

Author Topic: Cities: Skylines, The Sim City we all wanted! New Industry DLC!  (Read 116892 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Cities: Skylines, The Sim City we all wanted! Out Now!
« Reply #435 on: March 19, 2015, 12:20:20 pm »

My city's stagnated at 40k population, and I can't tell how to make it grow :(
Zone more residential or high density residential
there's no demand for it though :(

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: March 19, 2015, 12:25:34 pm »

Do it anyway.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: March 19, 2015, 12:29:01 pm »

Zone it and they (eventually) will do something with it. As long as it isn't too small.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #438 on: March 19, 2015, 12:29:22 pm »

Zone more residential or high density residential
there's no demand for it though :(
What is in demand?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #439 on: March 19, 2015, 12:32:57 pm »

Generally only industry demand goes up, and the other two are very low. So I just keep building offices.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 19, 2015, 12:33:12 pm »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #441 on: March 19, 2015, 12:42:13 pm »

Generally only industry demand goes up, and the other two are very low. So I just keep building offices.
Sounds like you have more people than jobs then. Once you are at jobs > people then residential demand will rise.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 19, 2015, 12:48:27 pm »

Buy more land. Make your city bigger.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #443 on: March 19, 2015, 02:04:12 pm »

Looks good! I'm looking forward to a mod which expands metros above ground. SF Bay Area just isn't the same without World Of Tomorrow-esque BART stations all over the place.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 19, 2015, 02:54:53 pm »

How hard would be to replicate something like this in Skylines?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is the terraformed moon Titan. The dark brown areas are craters, they're connected by tunnels (and what I assume are natural caverns, here they could be open areas). The light area around them is extremely high terrain and completely impassable (so no building there).

Can this be achieved by ingame tools? Needs to create the terrain externally somehow and import it?

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 19, 2015, 03:28:53 pm »

Tunnels aren't in yet (but are planned for a free update), so you'd have to fudge it with valleys where the tunnels are meant to be or something similar. It's also not possible to make an area unbuildable, although with large enough cliffs it'd be pretty impractical anyway (assuming there isn't a highway connection at the start, but that's as easy as not placing it in the map editor).

As for actually getting the terrain in, you can both import heightmaps or terraform it in the ingame map editor, so yes to both of the actual questions. The only thing is that the map you posted doesn't have an outside highway connection, which is required for the game to work properly (people migrating in and industry importing/exporting goods), so you'd have to add one somewhere.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 19, 2015, 04:18:44 pm »

Well I'm not asking to be restricted from building in certain areas, heh. But to replicate that map, those areas must remain high and empty.

Also the map you're looking at has flying cars so... yeah it's not just outside highways that have to be fudged in to make it work.

I was mostly concerned about the size and terrain editing capabilities. And some planning would be necessary to make the craters fit in the 4x2 or whatever arrangement of areas. To make it exact a few craters would have to be partially filled in before unlocking an additional area, probably, since they don't fit neatly in a 4x2 grid.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 04:20:15 pm by Sergius »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #447 on: March 19, 2015, 04:50:24 pm »

How hard would be to replicate something like this in Skylines?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is the terraformed moon Titan. The dark brown areas are craters, they're connected by tunnels (and what I assume are natural caverns, here they could be open areas). The light area around them is extremely high terrain and completely impassable (so no building there).

Can this be achieved by ingame tools? Needs to create the terrain externally somehow and import it?
Holy crap, that's from Hardwar isn't it? I loved that game so much when I was too stupid to understand how bad it was.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 19, 2015, 06:02:02 pm »

Holy crap, that's from Hardwar isn't it? I loved that game so much when I was too stupid to understand how bad it was.

I remember liking it when everything seemed to go my way. The last few times I tried replaying it every pirate I tried to hunt would Groundbase me to death.

Groundbase being a stupidly overpowered and expensive missile. Expensive as in costing 10 times what a single bounty pays... but somehow every NPC has half a dozen >:(

But with the unofficial official patch the economy could become the equivalent of X3, basically.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: March 19, 2015, 10:49:54 pm »

I was curious about something so I created a test scenario using unlimited money and unlock all.

The question on my mind was: can pedestrians path through multiple public transit lines?

I discovered that, yes, yes they can. Using highways and gravel paths I forced pedestrians going to work to have no options but to use a bus, then transfer to a different bus that would end in the commercial area, and they were perfectly capable of doing so. Further curious another scenario forced them to take a bus, take a train, then take the metro to get to work, which they were also capable of doing.

The second discovery: nobody has to actually get to work to have jobs, nor do employers expect anyone to actually show up to work. After having the 'not enough workers' problem too many times in my normal games I fiddled around with trying to mass bus people to the industry starving for workers, which doesn't work since having a job in cities: skylines doesn't revolve around you being at work, available workers is simply a function of population.

That said I wonder how feasible it is to have your residential and working zones completely isolated from each other, while employment would be fine and you're traffic would be hilariously efficient, I'm not sure if the commercial zones would get that 'not enough consumers' message, further testing necessary.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 51