Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 51

Author Topic: Cities: Skylines, The Sim City we all wanted! New Industry DLC!  (Read 116973 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: Cities: Skylines, The Sim City we all wanted! Out Now!
« Reply #195 on: March 12, 2015, 02:42:46 am »

That little cluster is my main office/budding commercial district and the massive office building is placed between the two major roads that serve as entrances/exits.  It is hoped that its presence will inspire the other office buildings to grow up big and strong.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 12, 2015, 03:25:07 am »

So, this game has managed to impress me to an extent that no game in a very long time has managed to do. There's fluid dynamics with the water. The current isn't just stationary; you can change it, and to a massive degree.
The traffic is based more closely on real traffic than just about any other city builder I've ever played; an emphasis on actual traffic management rather than the ridiculous "add more lanes and everything is solved" mantra of classic Sim City games.
The data views... holy hell those are shiny. When you start building huge mass transit systems, just watching the people waiting for the next subway train after getting off their train into town as they go about their business... it's amazing. Everything about those data displays is just about perfect. Even the traffic light colors are animated and correct to the flow of traffic.
Even subtle changes to the flow of the fluid as the intake and outlet pipes pull in or push out small amounts of liquid.

Now for the meat and potatoes of this post:
FLUID DYNAMICS HELLS YES.
So, by building dams, you can dramatically alter the flow of the water. I highly recommend playing around with that. As for me, I went on the (diamond something or other map) and after some experimentation, bought up the mountain peaks on either side of the little river near the starting block.
Fun fact 1: the height of the dam is based on the end points it is created with.
Fun fact 2: the flow dynamics in combination with the way the dams work (not letting water through until the reservoir behind them is mostly full) means that water will fill up behind them up to around the height of the dam.

I think you can see where this is going. It was glorious.
In that last image, the water was actually flowing downhill into a localized depression on the other side of the city; it was actually flowing quite fast, looking to be comparable to the speed of a car.
A good portion of the city flooded in the end, then windows updates decided it would like to reboot without warning, ending the experiment (it would never have fully filled, since there was a great big open plain with a low slope upriver)

Oh, and another fun fact from some separate experiments: You can get dams to force water uphill. It detects the direction to face them based on velocity of the water; which is easy to reverse in the short term while placing a dam. By doing this repeatedly with tiny dams, you can push water uphill as the dam sucks it in on the intake side and spits it out on the (uphill) output side.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 03:29:57 am by alway »

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 12, 2015, 05:00:20 am »

I have a habit of enforcing smoking bans in oil industry districts.
Anyone else having similar tendencies?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 05:03:28 am by Ultimuh »

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 12, 2015, 05:20:58 am »

I'm posting this here instead of the Sales thread for more visibility, but it appears that this game is on sale at the VIP section of GreenmanGaming, 20.43 €/21.89 $ for the base edition and 27 € for the deluxe edition.

And now I'm on the fence about whether or not I should buy it. :P
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 12, 2015, 05:21:01 am »

Reading this thread makes me want to go back home early from work.... :/

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 12, 2015, 05:32:46 am »

And now I'm on the fence about whether or not I should buy it. :P
Buy now and regret later.
That's how I purchase games. :p

Although, this is one game I don't regret buying.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 12, 2015, 05:38:29 am »

Last nights work
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Magma is overrated.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #202 on: March 12, 2015, 05:47:32 am »

A few hours work on a new city depicting the slow growth. Starts as a rural town with a bottling plant. Added a farming industry, more shops, a shopping mall and lots more housing for workers.

http://imgur.com/a/Nf39R#0

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 12, 2015, 05:50:13 am »

It looks like they are all trying to take a right turn.

Edit:  Ah, and the entrance is only one lane as well
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 05:53:16 am by Puzzlemaker »
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 12, 2015, 05:50:18 am »

I love the Rural Town type of your city, forsaken1111 :)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #206 on: March 12, 2015, 05:57:55 am »

I love the Rural Town type of your city, forsaken1111 :)
Thanks! My wife and I have been playing a bit and she wanted a simple farm town to start off with so I made her that, then I started expanding it once I had given her the save. :)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 12, 2015, 06:00:01 am »

Still doesn't excuse not filling up all the lanes. :P
It's a six-lane one-way. Why is everyone piling up on the rightmost lane when there are two more lanes that also do a right turn? If they filled it up properly, the traffic throughput would be 200% higher!
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #208 on: March 12, 2015, 06:11:51 am »

Still doesn't excuse not filling up all the lanes. :P
It's a six-lane one-way. Why is everyone piling up on the rightmost lane when there are two more lanes that also do a right turn? If they filled it up properly, the traffic throughput would be 200% higher!
Efficient lane use is something they are working on tweaking for the traffic sim.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 12, 2015, 06:26:22 am »

They had the same problem with CIM2. I've not had any problems with my city, but i guess i've built my roads tailored to my experiences in that game. Trick is to avoid bottlenecks like that turn. Many exits from your highway, for example. Double benefit as if you have an exit further back some will want to turn left as well as right, so you get even more throughput.

Anyway, tonights work, going on from yesterday, now with added panorama and tiiiny image size unfortunately.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Magma is overrated.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 51