Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone know anything about the Justice system?  (Read 1504 times)

ddenney1211

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anyone know anything about the Justice system?
« on: August 17, 2014, 12:22:31 am »

Hello, so I finally got around to producing a jail and assigning a group of people to a fortress guard, all set to archery. However, shortly after assigning my Captain he arrested a weaver, which I don't particularly care about, however a few minutes later he arrests one of my Sworddwarfs from the military unit I have. And she3 is very good having killed 3 goblins and a named goblin notable kill during our small ambushes, to make things worse she is spamming trying to reach her kid she had just before he arrested her. How do I find out how long until she is free?

Also, as a side question, how do I find out if my enemies are near tooknow if I can expect an attack?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know anything about the Justice system?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 12:27:19 am »

There is a justice screen with all of that information, it's likely that those two were sentenced for their "responsibility" in the failure to complete a production order from a noble, or hauled an item forbidden from being exported to the trade depot that left the map while the restriction was active.

No way to tell where enemies are in Fort mode, not as far as I know anyway. The closest you get is the Outpost Liaison telling you about the latest news, and that's mostly news about how your civ is getting roflstomped by goblins, or nothing at all.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

ddenney1211

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 12:43:48 am »

Okay, I didn't even think to look in the status page, should have known I've been using it off an on to check my forts worth and health... live and learn. Luckily she was finally released, apparently for failure to produce something, which is weird considering she is and has almost always been in the military. For a while I was beginning to think I hired a jerk lol

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 12:55:00 am »

I'd like to know if appointing a captain of the guard has any point whatsoever outside of hunting vampires.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 06:08:32 am »

When a noble's mandate goes unfulfilled, a random dwarf will be selected to be punished for 'failing to produce'. This can be a military dwarf.

When you haul and sell goods to a caravan, that are banned from export by your nobles, for every such item leaving the map, the dwarf that hauled it to the depot will recieve punishment, last I know. I haven't really exported anything illegal for quite a few versions though.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

NomeQueEuLembro

• Bay Watcher
  • [COFFE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 06:52:05 am »

Tip: getting arrested is good for unhappy dwarves. They get a bad tought because of it, but since they get there for a while they "forget" the previous bad toughts and get happier. If you have two unhappy dwarves and one goes fell you can convict the other for the murder, potentially saving your fortress from a tantrum cascade. Beware the fact that other dwarves may get unhappy toughts because of it, tough.
Likes weremammoths for it's awesomeness. Also, got a trumpet that menaces with spikes of sheep wool.

int_ua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 10:26:34 am »

I'd like to know if appointing a captain of the guard has any point whatsoever outside of hunting vampires.
a random dwarf will be selected to be punished for 'failing to produce'.
IMHO, that's a FUBAR justice system.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 10:33:46 am »

a random dwarf will be selected to be punished for 'failing to produce'.
IMHO, that's a FUBAR justice system.

Usually, failed production mandates will get blamed on a dwarf who actually has skill in a relevant profession (i.e. they _could_ have made the goods; if they had ever been allowed near the workshop :P ), it's not _completely_ random. Haven't played enough .40 to bother with the justice system, but in my experience, it was completely useless for everything in .34.11; in that version, there's no benefit to having a captain of the guard, everything a guard squad/active justice system can do, can be done better without.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 12:27:23 pm »

It appears that .40 makes justice a bit better, with things like breaking things and hurting dwarves while tantruming being punished. I haven't gotten far enough to have demanding nobles yet, but I assume that is still the same.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 03:35:33 pm »

Incidentally, it's also a good idea to have your fortress guard be as pathetic as possible. Think arming them with training weapons or wooden crossbows with no bolts level of pathetic. At some point, they will inevitably beating on someone you want healthy, so it's best if that beating is about as damaging as waving at them with a piece of paper.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 03:44:51 pm »

It appears that .40 makes justice a bit better, with things like breaking things and hurting dwarves while tantruming being punished. I haven't gotten far enough to have demanding nobles yet, but I assume that is still the same.

That's good to hear. I think it used to work back in early .34, but I think it broke in 34.11. Maybe I missed the announcement that it was fixed.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 04:05:13 pm »

That's good to hear. I think it used to work back in early .34, but I think it broke in 34.11. Maybe I missed the announcement that it was fixed.
I only found out because I randomly stuck one of my dwarves with sheriff after I had about 20, it doesn't seem to be well documented