Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Crew (open-world MMO racing game)  (Read 4837 times)

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Crew (open-world MMO racing game)
« on: August 16, 2014, 04:13:49 pm »

Hi folks,

Can't see any thread for The Crew. It's a new IP by Eden Games, who did Test Drive Unlimited (one, not two!) and published by Ubisoft (eww...).

Being a motoring enthusiast, I am very excited about its features: Open play on a map that represents a shrunk down USA, similar to shrink down Western Europe in Euro Truck Simulator 2.

Pros:
Open-world racing, a genre that has dried out
Car variety
Car customisation (mostly mechanical, not ridiculousness visual mods like underbody neons and scissor doors in Need for Speed 2 Underground)

Cons:
Ubisoft as publisher:
- uPlay
- Crazy pricing (A$75 for pre-order base game on Steam)
- Microtransactions
- Potentially poor port on PC as it's developed for XBOX One and PS4 as well
Arcadey

GamesCom 2014 trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtctjK4hLMw

Closed beta gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCyBWq-wzq4

I know it has a lot of flaws, but I don't see any other options in this genre in the market. Last great open world racing game (not necessarily simulation and excluding truck driving) was Drivers San Francisco (ironically, also by Ubisoft) and that was limited to a single city. I also personally don't mind the arcadey nature as I don't have a space for gaming wheel and pedals in my tiny bedroom and drive IRL, but understandably hardcore players prefer a simulation.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 08:19:31 am by BuriBuriZaemon »
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Crew (open-world MMO racing game)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 04:24:34 pm »

Waiting till it's out to judge.

I've never been good at racing games but sometimes I get a craving for a driving game. I would prefer simulation but arcadey is okay I guess; I can't imagine a sim racing MMO would do as well as an arcade one in a business sense.

EDIT: Just watching the videos now. 30FPS sounds very concerning, hopefully that's not actually going to be a thing.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 05:06:07 pm by OzyTheSage »

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 07:48:56 am »

The 30FPS limit /should/ be removed and increased to 60FPS on PC. The microtransactions are restricted to player level, so at least it's not an outright P2W.

Despite the arcadey nature, the driving model seems to take into account whether a car is AWD or RWD as shown by Skyline GT-R R-34 and Camaro in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4-tBJ9KwEc

However, looking at the cars list, I see a very few Japanese cars, which is my preferred category. I'm not interested in exotics as I don't think I'll ever be able to afford one IRL.  :P
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 07:53:33 am »

I found it an utterly boring experience when I was in part of the beta test. Very limited.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 10:44:39 pm »

Is there a list of cars anywhere?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 11:28:01 pm »

I found it an utterly boring experience when I was in part of the beta test. Very limited.
Can you elaborate on that? Was it just a lack of content or was the driving not fun?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 11:39:28 pm »

The 30FPS limit /should/ be removed and increased to 60FPS on PC.
What? 60 FPS on PC?

Seriously? Sixty? Unless this is a very slow-paced racing game, 120 at least would be reasonable.
That, and there shouldn't be a hardcoded limit for FPS. That's just rude.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 02:28:57 am »

The 30FPS limit /should/ be removed and increased to 60FPS on PC.
What? 60 FPS on PC?

Seriously? Sixty? Unless this is a very slow-paced racing game, 120 at least would be reasonable.
That, and there shouldn't be a hardcoded limit for FPS. That's just rude.
Unfortunately, caps come up when you've got a host, or a bunch of peers, trying to calculate a bunch of physics at the same time and really needing to come up with the same answer.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 02:53:55 am »

Would be fun when i was 12 years old.
Too arcady for my taste. Shame that nones interested open world sim racing game nowadays.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 03:33:14 am »

Yes, it is very arcadey indeed. I am actually considering The Crew out of desperation.

I don't own consoles, purely PC gaming. No Forza series on PC.

As much as I like GRID, the car selection and customisation are very limited. Something like Gran Turismo on PC would be great, even without free roam.

Project Cars isn't out yet and don't have many Japanese cars.

May just go back to Test Drive Unlimited for now...

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 04:32:37 am »

Too arcady for my taste. Shame that nones interested open world sim racing game nowadays.

How exactly can you have an open world sim racing game? If it is a good simulator you'd spend all your time going 30 on city streets or dying.

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 04:43:24 am »

How exactly can you have an open world sim racing game? If it is a good simulator you'd spend all your time going 30 on city streets or dying.

Kinda funny comment. I assume you don't have driving license?
But figuring this game is coming for consoles too it sells better for younger people anyways.

TDU2 was fun but really needed more love in physics and other game braking stuff.
Cruising with people was fun.

BuriBuriZaemon...i actually found Mod that fiddles some values ( C.T.R ) , you tested that?

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 04:53:52 am »

TDU2 was fun but really needed more love in physics and other game braking stuff.
Cruising with people was fun.

BuriBuriZaemon...i actually found Mod that fiddles some values ( C.T.R ) , you tested that?

I didn't bother with TDU2 because it was getting bad rep and considered worse than TDU. Is it worth picking up? To my understanding you can no longer cruise with other players in both games due to Atari shutting down servers.

Pardon my ignorance, but what mod are you referring to? What does CTR stand for?

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 05:08:53 am »

Found this kinda when just browsing away http://forum.turboduck.net/threads/32009-CTR-Physics-mod-09
Yea well servers was up 5 months ago and think still are...not 100% sure.
Thing is just when new people buys it they have hard time if ever get the Online version working since the Atari was shutted down :(

Anyways... waiting for something epic or some kind person takes over where TDU series left.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 05:12:30 am »

I'll just plug the simracing thread for now if you all need alternatives.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141074

Pages: [1] 2