Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven gods don't curse people?  (Read 618 times)

gaite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven gods don't curse people?
« on: August 15, 2014, 07:33:45 am »

I tried generating around 40 worlds with various parameters (same seed, random history and creature seed) and not once did any of the dwarven gods curse anyone. In one world, three of the human gods did, so it's obviously not that rare. Do dwarves not have temples to profane or could there be something wrong with my parameters?

I generated most of the worlds for 650-1250 years, so lack of time is probably not the issue.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven gods don't curse people?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 04:00:08 pm »

40 runs without a curse from a Dwarven God suggests either that they aren't supposed to do it ot a bug.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 04:55:56 pm »

Good Guy Dwarven Gods, not making life worse for everyone by creating immortal monsters. I always saw that as an irresponsible and incompetent method of punishment, the gods give the offender eternal life and they just go on to hurt (many) other people.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 05:43:28 pm »

Interesting - maybe it's on purpose? In "real" mythology, dwarves, elves, goblins and vampires existed - but the vampires were always vampiric humans.
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 05:54:13 pm »

The only reason gods curse people is if they profane a temple. Since Dwarven sites have no temples, there's nothing to profane and thus nothing to be cursed for.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 07:51:45 pm »

The good guy God theory doesn't hold up when you look at the slade spires they are so fond of ramming up through the earth to screw with mortals.

gaite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 11:37:52 am »

The only reason gods curse people is if they profane a temple. Since Dwarven sites have no temples, there's nothing to profane and thus nothing to be cursed for.

I suspected as much after looking though legends for a bit, thanks for confirming. Still, where did all the vampire migrants everyone was complaining about a while ago come from if dwarven deities didn't curse them? Dwarves from human civs can't immigrate, can they?

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 01:47:30 pm »

Maybe they weren't at that site because they lived there...
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."