Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to prevent the milling of Sweet pods and only mill Dimple cups?  (Read 5780 times)

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am trying to make my clothing industry as efficient as possible, but my miller seems to always favor milling sweet pods rather than dimple cups despite the fact i have a dimple cup stockpile right next to the millstone. It's unfortunate you cannot change a workshop profile to mill only certain items, maybe in Dwarf Fortress 2016, in the meantime is there a workaround i can use that will keep my cloth industry efficient? I have no use for dwarven sugar, my food supply of lavish meals is already insane with eggs, fish and meat.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 11:37:21 pm by Borge »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: How to prevent the milling of Sweet pods and only mill Dimple cups?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 11:39:12 pm »

Set the stockpile to give to the appropriate workshop. I can't remember the keys involved, but in the stockpile's [q] menu, there should be an option to "give to workshop".
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 12:15:18 am »

Set the stockpile to give to the appropriate workshop. I can't remember the keys involved, but in the stockpile's [q] menu, there should be an option to "give to workshop".

Excellent thankyou, i have also burrowed my miller into this area. Hopefully he won't starve or sleep on the floor inside the burrow, maybe i'll make him a joining bedroom and assign him to an inactive workers union squad so he fills a backpack and waterskin to eat and drink on the job. Maximum efficiency!

wlmartin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 02:35:05 am »

Or failing that
Make a stockpile of JUST the item you want milled next to the workshop and without any further direction Urist McMiller will pick that before looking for anything else

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 04:20:13 am »

To mill a specific plant you need both a plant stockpile and a furniture (bag/box set to bag materials) stockpile set to give to the mill.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 05:31:15 pm »

Or failing that
Make a stockpile of JUST the item you want milled next to the workshop and without any further direction Urist McMiller will pick that before looking for anything else
That might depend on what's closest to the dwarf, not the workshop.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Quitschi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 06:55:09 pm »

It is actually documented in the wiki:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quern
The stockpile with give to workshop order is the way to go.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 02:58:45 pm »

Well, the easiest way to prevent the milling of sweet pods is to stop growing sweet pods.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 02:49:27 am »

Well, the easiest way to prevent the milling of sweet pods is to stop growing sweet pods.

Dwarven syrup (from sweet pods) can be processed into a very expensive food ingredient for your fort.  Combine dwarven syrup with whip vine flour with even an unskilled cook... and you are looking at insanely high priced meals.  Each unit is worth 20 (equal to Hydra meat), and whip vine flour is 25 (dragon meat is 30). 

A cooking overhaul is seriously overdue.  I shouldn't be able to take an untrained cook and EASILY whip out 15k+ in prepared meals before the first caravan with nothing but what I grow/pick from shrubs/fish/hunt in a few months.  Legendary cook? ....maybe.  Cook starting from 0? HELL NO.

As has been said... make a stockpile that ONLY accepts dimple cups (or blade weed, silver barb, and hide root) next to your quern/mill and have it "take" from your plant stockpile near your farms.  You can add in flour plants as well... but your dwarf will freely pick between the two.  For better control you would have to make another quern with its own dwarven flour/whip vine/hemp/etc only stockpile near it to force your dwarves to only mill flour or only mill dye.  These would need to be some distance from each other, though, to prevent confusing your millers.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 03:20:20 pm »

For better control you would have to make another quern with its own dwarven flour/whip vine/hemp/etc only stockpile near it to force your dwarves to only mill flour or only mill dye.  These would need to be some distance from each other, though, to prevent confusing your millers.

It might confuse the player, but the Dwarves won't be any more confused than they always are.

I have been eschewing dyes for a long time now, but if I were going to use a 2-quern setup like you describe here, I'd want them fairly close to each other, so they can share a bag stockpile.  (They'd each have a dedicated quernable plant stockpile of course.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 12:49:04 pm »

There is also a DFHack script that lets you control what inputs are used by a job, based on what is legal for that job.  I haven't tried it with the new release, but it works pretty well in the old one.