Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Awesomenauts: Starstorm - 80s cartoon platformer MOBA (2.6 Reloaded)  (Read 3216 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

Alright, this thing is LONG overdue at this point, screw waiting for the next patch!

Awesomenauts is a 2D platformer/sidescroller MOBA on Steam made by a Dutch indie developer Ronimo Games (who also made Swords&Soldiers for WiiU and PC), stylized after the good old 80s Saturday morning cartoons I TOTALLY had a chance to watch.
It's the year 3587, conflict spans the stars. Huge robot armies are locked in an enduring stalemate. In their bid for galactic conquest they call upon the most powerfull group of mercenaries in the universe: the Awesomenauts!
Join the fight as droid armies, space cowboys, gangsta rapping frogs, and giant robots vie for supremacy!
Sounds lame? WHO CARES? It's not a single-player game son, this is a full-on Multiplayer Online Battle Arena...Or MOBA...Or action RTS. Except not really.
Awesomenauts is a MOBA and an accessible 3-on-3 action platformer. Head out to the online battlefields together with your friends as an online party or in local splitscreen, and never worry about having to wait for an online match because of drop-in matchmaking!

Play as several Awesomenauts as you storm the online battlegrounds and unlock loads of new abilities and characters for your arsenal.
Devise strategies as you upgrade and customize each character's skills to suit your playing style. Expect new items and Awesomenauts to be added regularly!
So yeah, combine LoL/DotA/Smite/[INSERT MOBA NAME HERE] and Super Smash Brothers (TO AN EXTENT) and you get this game.

And if that's not enough, just listen to this badass main theme. If you aren't sold already, you may as well leave this thread.
Speaking of music, not only do you get to hear this badass theme when your team racks up 15 kills without anyone dying (which clearly indicates that the matchmaker made a mistake somewhere...), but each character has their own, unique character jingle that plays while you wait for the game. Sounds awesome? Well, what if I told you that when you go on a killing spree (3/6/9 kills without dying), you get to hear a remixed version of said theme?

Yeah, that's pretty sweet.
Right now you have 15 free (relatively speaking; 9 of which were added post-release) characters and 4 additional ones that you have to buy the Starstorm expansion for (with the 5th one on the way). Said expansion also contains extra private match customization options (team deathmatch? random-naut-on-death w/ random loadouts?), replays (which will later on become a full-on SPECTATOR MODE!), a few extra tracks to be heard in-game and, once it's actually out, the titular Starstorm station map...Which is basically Ronimo's take on the Death Star, in a way. (j/k, but it feels like it)

The game is available on PC via Steam (and Humble Bundle), Xbox360 & PS3 (though those versions are heavily outdated and will unfortunately stay that way), PS4 and soon also on XBox One.
The Steam version is on sale 50% of the time, really, like, right now. So go and get it, you will not regret it!

In addition, whenever there is a new big update coming up, the devs reveal it over the course of a few days weeks via the Voltar's Vault of Omniscient Revelations on their website with various teasers about what's coming up next. (or just the Vault)

In fact the upcoming patch, called 2.6: Reloaded might very well be the biggest one yet in terms of its impact on the gameplay. (I really wanted to wait with this thread until the game was out but nope, got impatient) Why?
Well:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 03:19:22 am by DarkDXZ »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

Good to see they're still working on this! Good to see they're adding more maps and such too, easily my largest complaint. Custom AI's aughta be great too.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If it wasn't clear from the OP, Awesomenauts is currently 80% off. That's $2, at least where I live, so no excuses!  :D (Starstorm is still ~$6, but you can always start with the base game first.)

Also... didn't know about the 2.6 changes. The change to item loadouts in particular will be enormous...

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

We should play together at some point.

Absolutely. I am a renowned feeder though. :C
(And I can still win despite that most of the time because I tend to set up amazing kills for my teammates who then proceed to carry me.)

Then again, yesterday I went legendary with Swiggins. At least he's one of the few characters I can actually play.
(that being Lonestar, Leon, Voltar, Vinnie & Spike, Coco, Swiggins, Sentry and Skree...and Genji. The rest are average at best or I'm outright terrible at them, as is the case of Skolldir, Raelynn, Ayla, Ted and Penny.)

In case anyone wants to play with me, I'm in the GMT+2 timezone in Europe, over here.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

I thought I hated MOBAs. Then I played Awesomenauts!

My wife always plays Gnaw... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFWosw0K1Os

GET GIZMOS!

Although as far as music is concerned I might prefer Lonestar... So western! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLnC6JkzeHg
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 10:27:22 am by Anvilfolk »

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

Also today this happened to pop up in the Vault
Quote from: DarkDXZ

I'm more than certain it's this skin:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The quote is from the movie Gladiator, too...
So yeah, enjoy the Leon skin #323 (actually #4).

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have over 150 hours put into this game, can't seem to get enough!
Started playing again after a few months break, and my new favorite naut is Penny.

GMT -4 here, and my forum name is my steam name. Go ahead and add me so we can coordinate some killing sprees  :D

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

GMT -7, and my username on Steam is "My Username is Immaterial".

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

In community news, the Challengenauts has entered Season 2 half an hour ago, where you can submit replays of you completing said challenges (of which there are 100 right now, with more community-submitted challenges and player bounties to come from user donations) to win prizes!

I wish I had some way of donating though... ;~;

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

Okay, I found a way to donate to Challengenauts. \o/
On top of that, I am doing my own little challenge (to celebrate my 9001st post on the official forums) - change your name to "Hunting DarkDXZ", find and kill me in-game to win a Giga Sentorii premium skin!

Gruntdonttoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Love this game, clocked around 145 hours and still play periodically. I main Raelynn and also play Ted McPain, Yuri, and Ayla and random every so often. My cousin thought up a great psychological tactic where you bind taunt with the same key as jump or auto attack, works well especially after the taunts become white noise.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Speaking of controls... what do you guys use for input? I've been using a 360 controller (practice for the occasional time I play splitscreen), and it seems reasonably good for some 'nauts. Anyone that requires precision aiming is a problem though.

Anyone else using a controller? And if so, what button configuration?
Spoiler: My button mapping (click to show/hide)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

Speaking of controls... what do you guys use for input? I've been using a 360 controller (practice for the occasional time I play splitscreen), and it seems reasonably good for some 'nauts. Anyone that requires precision aiming is a problem though.

Anyone else using a controller? And if so, what button configuration?
Spoiler: My button mapping (click to show/hide)

Seeing as I'm a 100% PC player (ie. I don't even have a controller) I use mouse and keyboard, but I have my 2nd ability button mapped to E instead of M3 due to how wonky my mouse is.
It works most of the time.

And I'm just saying but Skree and Skolldir seem like the best 'nauts for controller players. (if only because of how little aim is involved with them)

Also, I managed to complete two challenges. \o/
(Won a game where my base was below 1 bar of HP, and got a double kill when both me and my targets were in a stealth area. So yeah, that's a thing.)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

So this happened today:

And pretty much completes the Vault hype for this patch. Now it's just the final beta and then BLASTOFF.
Pages: [1] 2