Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there anyway to notice what layers will be at a site before embark?  (Read 726 times)

TinFoilTopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've had a bunch of lousy embarks lately that have been metamorphic layers all the way down, so is there a way to get a good sense of what stone layers I will get before I embark?

TurboSlug22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there anyway to notice what layers will be at a site before embark?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 11:31:26 pm »

Hey man : )

if you're using 0.34.11 you can view them using df hack I believe, there's a a command for that. For 0.40.08 however I'm not sure if one of the utilities or mods would do that but one thing you can do to make it a non-issue is world gen with 'frequent' set for mineral occurrence (Not 'everywhere' which is broken) and that will help

The other option is to put yourself up to the challenge and use the trade system to get iron and steel items which you can melt down and use.. or just dig down further ; )

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 04:17:57 am »

if you want a good chance of sedimentary layers, try a flat forest area.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 04:46:25 am »

Not without cheating. DFhack has a script for it.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 08:55:57 am »

if you want a good chance of sedimentary layers, try a flat forest area.

Nope. Doesn't depend on forests, rivers, or other surface features:

Less than 90 volcanism => The first stone layer under the soil has an 80% chance of being sedimentary, 10% metamorphic, or 10% igneous intrusive. The remaining layers going down have a 50% chance of being metamorphic and 50% chance of being igneous intrusive.

Over 90 volcanism => The first stone layer under the soil is always igneous extrusive. The remaining layers going down have a 33% percent chance each of being extrusive, intrusive, or metamorphic.

Ocean biomes with less than 90 volcanism always use a sedimentary layer from the shallow or deep ocean sets, as appropriate.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136999.0