Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to seperate zombies from necromancers?  (Read 1042 times)

Shellcore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to seperate zombies from necromancers?
« on: August 13, 2014, 10:21:58 pm »

My first post on the forum  :)

I wanted to perform some dwarven !!SCIENCE!! using necromancers (wanted to try bacon like a pro and other stuff) on DF 34.11 with Dfhack.
But i then realized that there were 129 other creatures in the tower including a bunch of necromancers. Two necromancers are friendly.

The only ways i have thought of are 129 cage trap line (will friendly necromancers be caught without webs or stunning them), opening door really quick letting them out one by one to the militia (none of the necromancers are closer to the door than their horde of minions), or legendary pickaxe squad (What pick material is best?) in a head on battle, which would hopefully leave friendly necromancers alone for capture. Any other convenient way seperate them?
From what I remember, falling damage is modelled by the floor hitting YOU.  It is possible that if this is also done for wall collisions, that a dog bumping into the wall is modelled as being smacked in the face by a giant boulder.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: How to seperate zombies from necromancers?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 10:31:30 pm »

So, is this adventurer mode or some kind of embark on a tower? This will shape suggestions greatly.

Also, welcome to the forums!!! Someone will probably tell you to leave your sanity on the coat hanger to the left, but here's the thing: WE DONT HAVE A COAT ROOM AHAHHHAHHHAIf it's fort mode, then you'll want to capture a necromancer and create a zombie farm of some kind. You can chain him up in sight of some corpses, which he will raise. Have a cage trap handy for the newly minted zombie, and off you go.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Shellcore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 10:39:05 pm »

It is an embark and i need help getting the necromancers out for said zombie farm. :( I will just keep my sanity with me since i can't leave it anywhere. I shall now wait for someone to suggest something so crazy it just might work. :)

EDIT: Wait is this in the wrong forum?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 11:04:41 pm by Shellcore »
From what I remember, falling damage is modelled by the floor hitting YOU.  It is possible that if this is also done for wall collisions, that a dog bumping into the wall is modelled as being smacked in the face by a giant boulder.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 10:36:33 am »

Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 01:14:08 pm »

don't neros still path directly to your refuse pile or wherever there are corpses they can rise on your map?
and undead path to living creatures so they can "unlive" them :P

Shellcore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 02:40:53 pm »

The refuse pile sounds like a good way to capture the necromancers except for one little thing. Won't hauling dwarves head to the refuse pile after the necromancer raised dead from the refuse pile and spam me with cancellations? If i was to capture the necromancers on their way to the stockpile what range do they have for raising the dead? I do not want to the cage traps to capture zombies from my refuse stockpile instead of the necromancers.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 02:45:48 pm »

If you use DFhack to embark on a tower, they might be marked as "friendly" and will be such until more invaders show up. As far as separating them goes, hmm... You could build a density sorter with weighted pressure plates, but that would only separate them by species, not by life expectancy. I would consider a trapped refuse pile, but that still requires that the necros will path to the pile. If the zombies are unfriendly and the necros are friendly, you could use militia squads to put the zombies down and then enjoy your bacon farmers. Other than that, you just might have to build a line of cages. Remember that you can use drawbridges to seal off a path at will (and there's an exploit detailed somewhere to allow zero-delay, no-dwarf switch operation) and that will let you to use far fewer traps, and simply empty and butcher the occupants in between deployments.

NINJA: Build a stockpile at the center of a spiral path, with cage traps along the way. They'll get trapped before they have line of sight, which I believe they require to raise corpses.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 10:40:58 pm »

NINJA: Build a stockpile at the center of a spiral path, with cage traps along the way. They'll get trapped before they have line of sight, which I believe they require to raise corpses.

This is true. They do need LOS.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0