Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are old saves new-version compatible?  (Read 585 times)

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
Are old saves new-version compatible?
« on: August 13, 2014, 09:02:32 pm »

I have a well-established fort in version v0.40.06. Did Toady indicate whether or not these saves will work in the newer updates? I don't want to invest tons of time into a fort that I can't play in the newest versions of the game.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Are old saves new-version compatible?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 09:13:38 pm »

From readme:
Note that this version of DF is only compatible with saves from 0.40.03+.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 09:19:19 am »

For best results, during a period of upheaval like this, just restart with a new fort every update. I've resigned myself to it and it's given me a lot of practice building forts and running them for a few years.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

gaite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 01:57:06 pm »

Tried a save originally from 0.40.03 - if you don't mind all stockpiles suddenly being marked as "inside, dark, above ground", it seems to work fine.

BenLubar

• Bay Watcher
  • [BODY:HUMANOID_LEGLESS_6ARMS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 03:16:02 pm »

Tried a save originally from 0.40.03 - if you don't mind all stockpiles suddenly being marked as "inside, dark, above ground", it seems to work fine.

That's even possible? I thought light/dark and above/below ground were the same variable.

gaite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 03:33:13 pm »

That's even possible? I thought light/dark and above/below ground were the same variable.

It doesn't happen under normal circumstances, as far as I know, but it's definitely possible.

See also: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4684