Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [0.40.08] Fresh embark experience  (Read 1472 times)

TurboSlug22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[0.40.08] Fresh embark experience
« on: August 13, 2014, 02:35:53 pm »

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to share my latest experience with 0.40.08

This fresh embark on the new version is a 2x2 single biome with an aquifer, untamed wilds and being near 3 necro towers, goblins, elves, dwarves, humans and some pits.

I had a sizable undead siege (~10) on the second month which I could not face so I walled myself in. I had gambled on a one or two level deep aquifer and therefore only brought a handful of stone to seal off the shaft (using twin slit method).

Wanting to be frugal with my stone anyhow, I had a mason convert it into blocks, quadrupling my mileage for sealing off the aquifer shaft. Punched through the first layer and... Dry block below! Single layer aquifer! Excellent!

This small victory was unfortunately premature however as I dug down through the dry layer into... ANOTHER qualifier!! - I'd never seen two separate layers of aquafier separated by a dry layer before! So I just thought I'd share so you guys can have a laugh at my misfortune.. To add insult to injury, the second aquifer layer was SEVEN z-levels deep! Now I shouldnt complain because I've heard horror stories of 20+ z-level aquifers so yea...

Luckily I was fortunate with my stone drops digging through the conglomerate aquifer layers to make enough blocks to wall off the shaft down to the bedrock below but I had to go to sleep.

That aside, I experienced no bugs that I was aware of, but we'll see when I get my defenses up how things play out... I'll keep you posted unless a new version is released, in which case, I'll start fresh once again and report my experiences for you guys : )

But yea, can you imagine my surprise when I thought I was through the aquifer and there was more below the dry layer? lol...

Happy dwarfing : )
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 02:13:01 am by TurboSlug22 »

Celarious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.40.08] Fresh embark experience
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 02:37:23 pm »

7 aquifer layers? Wow

I can't deal with one XD

Verjigorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 02:46:53 pm »

1 biome, or multiple over-lapping biomes with aquifers?  I think overlapping biomes can give you stacked and seperated aquifers.

I know I've punched into dry stone, then dug into aquifer below it before. 

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 02:48:25 pm »

This small victory was unfortunately premature however as I dug down through the dry layer into... ANOTHER aquafier!! - I'd never seen two separate layers of aquafier separated by a dry layer before! So I just thought I'd share so you guys can have a laugh at my misfortune.. To add insult to injury, the second aquafier layer was SEVEN z-levels deep!

I've never seen multiple aquifers either.  Is it possible you actually had a 9-level aquifer, and the second level just happened to be dry in that one spot?  (Due to some ore... mineral... thing.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 02:52:06 pm »

This small victory was unfortunately premature however as I dug down through the dry layer into... ANOTHER aquafier!! - I'd never seen two separate layers of aquafier separated by a dry layer before! So I just thought I'd share so you guys can have a laugh at my misfortune.. To add insult to injury, the second aquafier layer was SEVEN z-levels deep!

I've never seen multiple aquifers either.  Is it possible you actually had a 9-level aquifer, and the second level just happened to be dry in that one spot?  (Due to some ore... mineral... thing.)

That would be my guess.  There are certain stones, ores, and whatnot within aquifers that will be dry.  Likely the OP punched down into such a vein and then came out the other side back into the aquifer.

TurboSlug22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 02:58:36 pm »

7 aquifer layers? Wow

I can't deal with one XD

Yea the first time I tried to punch through an aquifer I had a LOT of water !FUN! subsequent attempts also failed (but without !FUN!)

One thing that really helps is taking advantage of the fact that aquifer tiles also absorb unlimited amounts of water, this is the underlying principal to what makes the twin slit method work.

So, if you think of what happens when you remove a single tile of an aquifer layer, you get a 7/7 pool of water where you removed that tile... The question is what happens if you remove the next tile down? Do you get two levels of 7/7 water in the shaft? Actually, you get a single 7/7 pool at the bottom of the shaft. The reason the upper level doesn't fill with water also is that the water is flowing down the sides of the walls, down to the lower level and being absorbed by the lower level of the aquifer. The only challenge is actually being able to dig out that second (lower) tile which is usually below 7/7 water above. To do that, temporarily pump out the first 7/7 pool so you can dig out the lower tile.

(Side view)

=====   <-normal aquifer

==x==   <- aquifer with up/down stairs dug into the first level (stairs will be filled with 7/7 water)
=====

PP         <- place screw pump next to up/down stairs (I've also created a second hole in the aquifer to dump the water from the first hole)
x==x==
=====

(Not to over-complicate things but you need to channel out the stairs in order for the pump to remove water from that tile, just something to keep in mind)

x==x==
===x==  <--- Now dig up/down stairs into second layer and remove screw pump after

Now, construct new stairs and the upper level stairs will have only 1/7 water flowing down the stairs to the level below where it is being absorbed by the lower aquafier tiles which will allow you to dig out the walls around the upper-level stairs and place stone to stop the water flow. Do this one tile at a time however.

This method should get you through! just be careful when you reach the last layer of aquifer so that you still have somewhere to dump your water. You can check if there's aquafier below before digging into it... When your miners dig up/down stairs above, the tile below will be damp if its an aquifer and there's no water above it. There's one or two ticks after the block above is removed before water pours in and makes the stone below damp where you can tell if its an aquifer or not but you need to proceed one tick at a time or you'll miss it.

Hopefully this is helpful and not TOTAL gibberish but feel free to ask for questions or clarifications or simply avoid the aquifers as you've been doing! Just trying to be helpful : )

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 02:14:56 am by TurboSlug22 »

TurboSlug22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 03:06:54 pm »

It was certainly the same type of tile, clay I think (lower down was the Conglomerate I mentioned)... and I'm pretty sure it was a single biome (I was careful with viewing the biome layout on the worldgen screen using f-keys)

it MIGHT have been a bug... because I had gotten sieged, I enabled a burrow alert with a burrow defined that was only for the first floor of my fort, the next z-level down was not assigned as part of the burrow and I told my miners to dig up/down stairs into the next z-level down (unburrowed) while the burrow alert was in effect. The reason why i suspect this was a bug was that the aquafier was 'missing' in a bubble around my stairs with 1 tile of lee-way perfectly.

(top view)

Sorry this is hard to draw this way! but A is aquafier D is dry tiles and X is my up/down stairs

AADDDDAA
ADXDDXDA
ADXDDXDA
AADDDDAA

So there's 1 tile of dry soil around my stairs surrouded by aquafier... Basically, where you normally place your walls when doing the twin slit method was already dry soil (and only those tiles were dry) - it looked a bit suspicious
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 03:17:03 pm by TurboSlug22 »

Dorf and Dumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 05:49:52 pm »

I had one with 9 wet layers on .06, mostly conglomerate (though one at the top was because of a slight slope, and one at the bottom that wasn't itself wet) .  But it wasn't bad - there were holes to work down layer to layer without any special measures at all, just dig around and sample, and the whole formation was just riddled with masses of magnetite.

Clearing out the holes for the main stairways and dropshaft, I discovered something new (maybe) about the physics - dropping a dozen stones or so on a bridge totally destroyed it.  I know it did because the bridge had been used to divert all that water out fortifications into one of the caverns, otherwise it would have ended up in the forges and fouled up my magma pipes.  Lucky I didn't manage to get my digger channeled all the way down through the smoothed top part of the passage before the water had cleared out!

TurboSlug22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 11:37:44 pm »

dropping a dozen stones or so on a bridge totally destroyed it.

I did not know that! Thanks!

TurboSlug22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 11:40:51 pm »

Here's my second layer of my aquifer as mentioned:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)