Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wildlife  (Read 880 times)

Bormac

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Wildlife
« on: August 12, 2014, 02:57:57 pm »

Hey, first post for me. Woo.
Anyway, I was wondering where on the list of bugs, is fixing the Wildlife spawning. Because one of the great things about the older versions of Dwarf Fortress is the constant flow of wildlife that mill through the countryside causing all kinds of FUN and giving your hunters something to do. Supplement that early farming with some nice meat.
Now it seems like you get what you start with and that's it. And usually after awhile they get frozen. (Birds from what I've seen.)
And just stay way up in the sky hovering forever. Kind of makes the game seem a lot less lively without raccoons trying to steal your stuff.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Wildlife
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 03:03:56 pm »

We don't know. Maybe this week, maybe next, who knows?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

SarZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 03:18:35 pm »

Birds are indeed frozen in the air. However, there is a workaround for that, and that is to remove all the [FLIER] tags from the raws from your game. If you started a game already, just go into your save and edit the raws there. I recommend using Notepad++ for that. After you now continue the game, the birds will drop out of the sky. Now you can kill them for a new wave of wildlife, or you can simply wait for them to leave.

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 09:20:44 pm »

Birds are indeed frozen in the air. However, there is a workaround for that, and that is to remove all the [FLIER] tags from the raws from your game. If you started a game already, just go into your save and edit the raws there. I recommend using Notepad++ for that. After you now continue the game, the birds will drop out of the sky. Now you can kill them for a new wave of wildlife, or you can simply wait for them to leave.

Could you explain exactly how to do this for someone who has never done it before please?

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 09:34:02 pm »

Download notepad++, it's free. Go to Search-Find in Files(I'm guessing because mine's not in English) and that's a tool for selecting a folder and replacing every instance of [flyer] with nothing, just leave it blank. Where it says Filters(again, guessing), input .txt so that it only replaces it in txt files and not on the .exe

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 10:16:05 pm »

Download notepad++, it's free. Go to Search-Find in Files(I'm guessing because mine's not in English) and that's a tool for selecting a folder and replacing every instance of [flyer] with nothing, just leave it blank. Where it says Filters(again, guessing), input .txt so that it only replaces it in txt files and not on the .exe

Which file in which folder exactly?

Griffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 11:34:55 pm »

it will be in Dwarf fortress > data > save > current (or your most recent save) > raw > objects. At this point, its best to use the windows search feature for the bird you're looking for. Once you type it in the search, it will most likely say nothing found so then click "Search File Contents" and it will then search all the notepad files in that folder for the bird you want and bring it up. Once you've done that, delete any [FLIER] tag you see. If done correctly, when you restart your game all the birds will fall from the sky

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 12:52:20 am »

it will be in Dwarf fortress > data > save > current (or your most recent save) > raw > objects. At this point, its best to use the windows search feature for the bird you're looking for. Once you type it in the search, it will most likely say nothing found so then click "Search File Contents" and it will then search all the notepad files in that folder for the bird you want and bring it up. Once you've done that, delete any [FLIER] tag you see. If done correctly, when you restart your game all the birds will fall from the sky

Thank you so much!  :P Worked a treat, all the Giant Keas and Buzzards exploded upon impact. Maybe now i'll have some Grizzly bears move in to capture and train.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 01:03:54 am by Borge »

SarZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 07:02:35 am »

Thank you so much!  :P Worked a treat, all the Giant Keas and Buzzards exploded upon impact. Maybe now i'll have some Grizzly bears move in to capture and train.
Sadly, of course, also the lethal creatures can't fly anymore. This is safer, but also less FUN!! when those goblins flying on bats can't actually fly into your fortress...

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 07:25:59 am »

Incidentally make sure you get all the [FLIER] tags, not just those in creatures_birds and birds_new.  You will also need to hit various insect files, for safetys sake I really nuked every occurance of it, through vermin to megabeasts.

creature_next_underground is the one you need to fix for the cavern wildlife to also behave itself, though things can still get stuck climbing walls and produce the same wildlife lockup effect.

When I first started using this workaround I fixed birds and the ravens from embark that had hovered 4 years fell and splashed, and the game immediately spawned a stuck mosquito or something.  Gotta catch 'em all.

And watch for stuff stuck in treetops, has exactly the same effect with no fix, build towers, scare em down, chop the tree, be creative!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 07:29:50 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

SarZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 08:36:09 am »

Incidentally make sure you get all the [FLIER] tags, not just those in creatures_birds and birds_new.  You will also need to hit various insect files, for safetys sake I really nuked every occurance of it, through vermin to megabeasts.

creature_next_underground is the one you need to fix for the cavern wildlife to also behave itself, though things can still get stuck climbing walls and produce the same wildlife lockup effect.

When I first started using this workaround I fixed birds and the ravens from embark that had hovered 4 years fell and splashed, and the game immediately spawned a stuck mosquito or something.  Gotta catch 'em all.

And watch for stuff stuck in treetops, has exactly the same effect with no fix, build towers, scare em down, chop the tree, be creative!
Creative, like when my macedwarf got scared of CAMELS and climbed the highest tree he could find and refused to come down? Chop down those trees!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 12:43:13 pm »

Flying vermin don't cause the same issues (they don't prevent the arrival of more animals, etc.) so that's overkill.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz