Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 367856 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #2565 on: January 30, 2017, 05:10:25 pm »

Lots of games end up releasing after more than a year's delay. Few of them end up being very good, but you can hardly call a bad game "dead".

Most games delayed that long, that don't end up being total suck fests, also don't turn over most of their team members and rewrite half the game though :P

To be honest, I've always had problems visualizing how this game is supposed to play, even in the pre-Kickstarter days. But I liked it enough I backed. So I've sort of been watching, disappointed surely but mostly bemused, because in the back of my head I've always wondered if it was going to be ever going to be playable or just an insane jumble of data and screens when it finally did release.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 05:12:06 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: January 30, 2017, 05:13:27 pm »

Lots of games end up releasing after more than a year's delay. Few of them end up being very good, but you can hardly call a bad game "dead".

Most games delayed that long, that don't end up being total suck fests, also don't turn over most of their team members and rewrite half the game though :P

To be honest, I've always had problems visualizing how this game is supposed to play, even in the pre-Kickstarter days. But I liked it enough I backed. So I've sort of been watching, disappointed surely but mostly bemused, because in the back of my head I've always wondered if it was going to be ever going to be playable or just an insane jumble of data and screens when it finally did release.
I'm not sure what that has to do with the point I just made.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: January 30, 2017, 05:17:04 pm »

Well, bad game have released but I'm struggling to think of a bad game with this much development drama that was even worth a shit when it finally made it to the finish line.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: January 30, 2017, 05:27:37 pm »

"Not worth a shit" and "bad" mean the same thing, though? We could literally get Galactic Hitman level shittyness here and it still wouldn't be dead.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: January 30, 2017, 10:20:46 pm »

Red Dead Redemption spent a long time in development hell and is basically the best thing Rockstar have made.

Kerbal Space Program had huge delays, an ever expanding scope, and dev drama. 

Torment: Tides of Numenera has had multiple delays and a fair bit of dev/community drama but is going to be fantastic on launch if the last beta is any indication.

The Phantom Pain is about 90% comprised of drama but is still a damn fine game.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: January 31, 2017, 12:43:16 am »

Those games weren't made by a single dev who was proven to have lied about the majority of the implemented features of his game.

That's my biggest problem.  I think the game could be made, but I don't trust him because one, he was shown to have faked the original gameplay content he had, which makes me question how much he has now.  Two, I don't really trust his ability to code the game here.

Regardless of what Sean said, the thing he did that got him into this mess, as described by Sean, is something they cover in comp sci 101.
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: January 31, 2017, 01:01:52 am »

I will admit Torment: Tides of Numenera had a ROCKY beta and sucked for the majority of its EA.

Serenseven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: January 31, 2017, 10:56:49 am »

Regardless of what Sean said, the thing he did that got him into this mess, as described by Sean, is something they cover in comp sci 101.

As I've explained several times previously both here and on the official fora, I severely simplified the actual problem so that its essentials would be comprehensible to a non-coding audience...such as might be found in a CS 101 course, in fact.

And just because something's covered in a 100-level college course does not necessarily imply that it's trivial to deal with. Pointers were covered in my introductory C++ class, as well as the damage misused ones can cause. And yet some of the thorniest debugging sessions I've faced involved pointer mayhem.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: January 31, 2017, 11:43:46 pm »

Then, as I think I said before, your explanation of it is so far removed from the real thing that it's not much of an explanation anymore.

Now that things have gone all weird, you could always tell us exactly what was going on.
Shoes...

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: February 01, 2017, 07:39:29 am »

This is still going? amazing...and oddly enough...still hyped.

Serenseven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: February 01, 2017, 08:52:21 am »

Now that things have gone all weird, you could always tell us exactly what was going on.

No. No, I think not. The backers shot their messenger; they can wait in silence henceforth.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: February 01, 2017, 08:54:59 am »

I think Seren has a point about coding. I don't know much about coding, but what I do know is that the fundamentals, when flawed, can produce major issues down the road no matter what job you're doing in the first place. Which, I think that is the crux of his issues. He bit off more than he could chew at his knowledge level, and is now struggling to keep up against the tide.

The face that he is still at least attempting to produce gives me some hope that there will be a product out of it. Yet, I would also agree that not holding your breath is wise. Whether he produces something is purely based upon his unknown stamina to plug through and create the game.

But we'll see what happens. There are so many unknowns in this project that it's difficult to gauge whether we'll have a monster or a whisper in the end.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: February 01, 2017, 09:35:31 am »

No. No, I think not. The backers shot their messenger; they can wait in silence henceforth.

Bit self important?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Serenseven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: February 01, 2017, 09:55:54 am »

Bit self important?

A bit bitter. You try going out of your way to keep communication going between an absent developer and increasingly angry (and in some cases, increasingly trollish) backers while getting repeatedly attacked for it, and you'd eventually say to hell with it all and to hell with them, too.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: February 01, 2017, 10:17:50 am »

Bit self important?

A bit bitter. You try going out of your way to keep communication going between an absent developer and increasingly angry (and in some cases, increasingly trollish) backers while getting repeatedly attacked for it, and you'd eventually say to hell with it all and to hell with them, too.

Erm, your last post before the one defending your simplification was in August last year - I'd hardly say that classifies as 'keeping communication going'.

I completely understand and agree with your reasons for simplifying things, but people are desperate to find out what happened and how much hope there really is left - so if you're genuine about wanting to keep communication going, then I'm sure everyone would be all ears to hear what's really happening behind the scenes.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 210