Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 367626 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #2325 on: August 06, 2016, 05:29:38 am »

Yep, get it working first, then make it better.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: August 06, 2016, 06:08:13 am »

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. I will say that is indeed a bit disappointing that he's going for a simpler AI, but to be perfectly honest, that likely would have done him much good in the first place. My supposition is that he likely ran into deep seated issues with the more advanced systems, so, him going for an easier system will hopefully be enough to finally put the pieces together and make this game a reality.

Emphasis on hopefully. I really do want to see him succeed for both his community and for his own self.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: August 06, 2016, 08:10:40 am »

We are now simplifying the Behavioral AI that was the foundation for the simulation.

Hype-death.
Well, at least it will probably work now, unlike his attempts before, which were basically trying to predict each other moves and then ending up in infinite Prisoner's Dilemma loops.
._.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: August 06, 2016, 10:16:12 am »

Welp, its like he finally admited that reworking such core element in the mid of the development was a baaaaaaaaad idea after all.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: August 06, 2016, 11:26:40 am »

Good. Give us the working core game and then worry about making it better.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: August 06, 2016, 02:57:41 pm »

I would be very pleased and even more surprised to see anything come of this.
Shoes...

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: August 06, 2016, 04:54:58 pm »

Hey, progress is progress. If anything comes of it that's still a basis to work off of in the future.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: August 06, 2016, 10:56:45 pm »

I wouldn't rule the game out unless the developers disappear entirely. Already have seen bunch of seemingly dead games in development, after illogical length of time, revive itself.

Glad I didn't pay them money though; the constant delays to dev-log and other things back then were enough to give me pause.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: August 07, 2016, 12:57:31 am »

Didn't all of the technical problems arise from expanding the game's scope to work with randomly generated maps, scenarios, and all this other way-more-complex-stuff?  And didn't they say something to the effect of 'fuck man, I dunno if we can do that, that shit looks pretty tough'?

I mean like, I personally pushed for the increased complexity stuff because it sounded super hype.  Even if it didn't pan out so great, I appreciate that they went for it and am on their side and such, because it's exactly the kinda thing that I want made, and all that.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: August 07, 2016, 01:05:10 am »

Didn't all of the technical problems arise from expanding the game's scope to work with randomly generated maps, scenarios, and all this other way-more-complex-stuff?  And didn't they say something to the effect of 'fuck man, I dunno if we can do that, that shit looks pretty tough'?

I mean like, I personally pushed for the increased complexity stuff because it sounded super hype.  Even if it didn't pan out so great, I appreciate that they went for it and am on their side and such, because it's exactly the kinda thing that I want made, and all that.

Actually to my knowledge the game being delayed due to stretch goal bloating is an assumption based on nothing really.

It SEEMS to be almost exclusively the AI that delays this game from having anything presentable out.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: August 07, 2016, 07:44:44 am »

I regard the last update as a sign that at the very least the man still works on this and intends to release something (if he intended to cut and run he'd have kept silent, I'm guessing). Whether he actually manages or not is a different can of beans altogether, of course, but at the very least he's trying.

So... cautious optimism, as far as I'm concerned
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: August 07, 2016, 10:17:52 am »

I feel like cautious optimism is one of the watch cries of the development. "We will be optimistic... But cautiously so!"
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: August 07, 2016, 01:15:34 pm »

Is it really like you're going to lose anything by being incautiously optimistic? ;D

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: August 08, 2016, 01:48:36 pm »

*shrug* At this point time. For the most part I don't dwell in this game except when some sort of news comes up. But it'd be nice if it came out and was decent.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: August 08, 2016, 02:02:31 pm »

Ye, any news is good news at this stage. Better than the complete silence of before.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 210