Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 368651 times)

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarting!
« Reply #840 on: October 16, 2014, 05:15:05 pm »

To be honest, I think it would be best to bite the bullet and just release the videos. While the depledging is certainly a sting (and a bit confusing), no amount of criticism is going to change the fact that you've already so much money now that it shouldn't make a real difference.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: October 16, 2014, 05:25:32 pm »

To be honest, I think it would be best to bite the bullet and just release the videos. While the depledging is certainly a sting (and a bit confusing), no amount of criticism is going to change the fact that you've already so much money now that it shouldn't make a real difference.
Eh, personally I'd rather hit a stretch goal and wait one extra week to see the logs than get them now but lose a stretch goal due to depledging. I mean as a person who already pledged it's not exactly like it'll make a difference in the long run to me whether I get the logs now or a week from now.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #842 on: October 16, 2014, 05:48:24 pm »

Eh, personally I'd rather hit a stretch goal and wait one extra week to see the logs than get them now but lose a stretch goal due to depledging. I mean as a person who already pledged it's not exactly like it'll make a difference in the long run to me whether I get the logs now or a week from now.

It's a strange situation for me to be in, because I just want to release everything I do - but it seems to be practical to just wait until the KS ends.
That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: October 16, 2014, 09:38:23 pm »

I like the False One the most, and of the races I'm torn between minotaurs and mind flayers.  Dragonkin don't do much for me.

Post-release when you're bringing in revenue from sales and such can we hope to see some of the stuff that got passed over in these polls?
Shoes...

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: October 16, 2014, 11:29:56 pm »

On a tiny note that I just can't keep from mentioning: The icon signs for statuses in POI's look very similar for level 1 and level 2 (both surrounded by a fairly thing grey border). You can still tell they are different, but a larger difference in look (eg. Give level 1 a bronze border (so its bronze->silver->gold for the border colors)) would be nice. Of course, the difference could be totally fine when actually playing the game, but it seems (just from seeing the icons) that a slightly larger difference would be better.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #845 on: October 16, 2014, 11:57:34 pm »

On a tiny note that I just can't keep from mentioning: The icon signs for statuses in POI's look very similar for level 1 and level 2 (both surrounded by a fairly thing grey border). You can still tell they are different, but a larger difference in look (eg. Give level 1 a bronze border (so its bronze->silver->gold for the border colors)) would be nice. Of course, the difference could be totally fine when actually playing the game, but it seems (just from seeing the icons) that a slightly larger difference would be better.

We actually are modifying every Icon stage for final release - we are working with a really fantastic, responsive contractor for the icons that is also incredibly affordable which is letting us get that critical instant feedback element really integrated into the GUI. 

I like the False One the most, and of the races I'm torn between minotaurs and mind flayers.  Dragonkin don't do much for me.

Post-release when you're bringing in revenue from sales and such can we hope to see some of the stuff that got passed over in these polls?

Post-release there are so many directions to take the game in that we don't want to make any decisions until people have gotten their hands dirty with the game, but I would say that these races, agents, and Old Ones that do not make the cut are definitely on the table.

Also if we continue to progress past our last stretch goal we're going to allow additional votes on any of these to add them at relative cost. 

That Which Sleeps

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: October 17, 2014, 12:19:54 am »

Sweet, that's great news on the icon front.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Rutee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: October 17, 2014, 01:19:46 am »

I probably should have asked this before I threw more money at it, and the Biomancer (Fleshweaver is the superior name but for now...) gives me hope, but there's going to be, like, some non-healer women as heroes/agents, right?  I assume so, since I saw something about heroic marriages, but I guess I could be surprised.

Secondary question: Aside from being party members and sources of aaaaaaangst/revenge for heroes, does them being buddies change much? I saw something about trading clues, so that's presumably involved, but can they for instance, recover each other's willpower/strengthen each other from its losses?  What about corruption?  Do corrupted buddies generate clues?  Can corrupted buddies be saved (At least, prior to their activation)?  Can corrupted buddies themselves be a source of corruption?  I was having trouble finding a unified listing of all that we know, and while I did read the devlogs on IndieDB, well... X3

Ooo, ooo, and since you said GOOs can be moddable, I was kinda unclear on what you meant by the Prophet's scheme being an event?  Does that mean "Yes but it's not quite in the GOO file"?  And can I take what you said as confirmation that there are some events specific to a GOO being your main character?  I mean, I assumed Rival GOOs would occasionally have events, but for some reason I kinda thought you would not (Since really, everything you do is an event for the world, not the other way around.)  Can you, like, I don't know, occasionally get rammed into by a fishing boat and slip further into sleep as Cthulhu or something?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 01:38:14 am by Rutee »

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: October 17, 2014, 01:31:56 am »

Woo, Fleshweaver, woo! I will gladly come up with more interesting terminology for KingDinosaur at a very cheap price! I only require there to be pink invisible unicorns named Fred in the game!

It would be interesting if heroes had relationships both as a source of strength and weakness. So friendships/romances would make ties between heroes strong enough to grant boni and make the heroes likely to search for each other when lost. So if you kidnapped hero A who was a lover of hero B, you'd be pretty sure hero B would come looking for him/her. That could be a bane or a boon; if you wanted to entrap hero B using hero A as a bait it would be a benefit. Likewise, if you could corrupt a hero, s/he would then spread misinformation and/or corruption among friends and lover...not to mention being used for a backstab at a critical point if necessary. On the other hand, the corrupted hero should have a tiny chance for redemption for the sake of love or friendship. All these are, after all, storylines present in variety of fiction.

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #849 on: October 17, 2014, 01:41:41 am »

I probably should have asked this before I threw more money at it, and the Biomancer (Fleshweaver is the superior name but for now...) gives me hope, but there's going to be, like, some non-healer women as heroes, right?  I assume so, since I saw something about heroic marriages, but I guess I could be surprised.

Secondary question: Aside from being party members and sources of aaaaaaangst/revenge for heroes, does them being buddies change much? I saw something about trading clues, so that's presumably involved, but can they for instance, recover each other's willpower/strengthen each other from its losses?  What about corruption?  Do corrupted buddies generate clues?  Can corrupted buddies be saved (At least, prior to their activation)?  Can corrupted buddies themselves be a source of corruption?  I was having trouble finding a unified listing of all that we know, and while I did read the devlogs on IndieDB, well... X3

Ooo, ooo, and since you said GOOs can be moddable, I was kinda unclear on what you meant by the Prophet's scheme being an event?  Does that mean "Yes but it's not quite in the GOO file"?  And can I take what you said as confirmation that there are some events specific to a GOO being your main character?  I mean, I assumed Rival GOOs would occasionally have events, but for some reason I kinda thought you would not (Since really, everything you do is an event for the world, not the other way around.)  Can you, like, I don't know, occasionally get rammed into by a fishing boat and slip further into sleep as Cthulhu or something?

I believe we have revealed two female agents - the Great Captain and the Exile.  Both of which wouldn't take kindly to being called a healer.  Their are more as well, though there are more males then females.  As far as heroes goes its a 50/50 spawn rate unless the Culture is specifically Patriarchal/Matriarchal.

Friendship amongst heroes (and even more importantly if they are friends with Champions and Leaders ) is extremely important, the value of exchanging clues alone can not be understated.  Corruption, willpower lost, wounds - all of these things are much easier to heal, and sometimes only if, they have a loyal friend with them.  Quests and Campaigns are much easier if a Hero can call on friends to help him, rather than have to either gather strangers or go it alone.  If you have corrupted a Hero he can spread his corruption to friends and those around him, though it's not a sure thing or particularly strong.  However, just having the corrupted Hero and the Infiltration he grants opens up more paths for your methods of corruption.

"Corrupted Buddies" is a great term by the way, that should have been our company name.

Can you give me some context on the "The Prophet's Scheme being an Event" response?  Not sure what I meant by that response, the Prophet's Scheme is unique only in that it is different per Old One - most Agents have one scheme no matter your Old One choice.  Yes there are Events specific to an Old One, some of the Old One's have LONG event chains with mechanics tied in that effect their core gameplay while others have very few and mostly thematic events that provide at best little mechanical differences.   

Nothing so ignoble as fishing boats giving you the manatee service, almost all of them are related to your emerging abilities as you waken though others are based on developments in the world.   Only Karth has events that trigger on his physical form.

Woo, Fleshweaver, woo! I will gladly come up with more interesting terminology for KingDinosaur at a very cheap price! I only require there to be pink invisible unicorns named Fred in the game!

It would be interesting if heroes had relationships both as a source of strength and weakness. So friendships/romances would make ties between heroes strong enough to grant boni and make the heroes likely to search for each other when lost. So if you kidnapped hero A who was a lover of hero B, you'd be pretty sure hero B would come looking for him/her. That could be a bane or a boon; if you wanted to entrap hero B using hero A as a bait it would be a benefit. Likewise, if you could corrupt a hero, s/he would then spread misinformation and/or corruption among friends and lover...not to mention being used for a backstab at a critical point if necessary. On the other hand, the corrupted hero should have a tiny chance for redemption for the sake of love or friendship. All these are, after all, storylines present in variety of fiction.

The interactions you're describing are essential to the gameplay, though corruption doesn't spread so strongly - and in fact if you corrupt a loved one of another hero/leader they will eventually discover it (though usually it crushes their will).

« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 01:44:34 am by KingDinosaurGames »
That Which Sleeps

Rutee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: October 17, 2014, 02:03:35 am »

Okay I can't find a way to link comments on IDB, but you said it on the That Which Sleeps summary page in response to Guest-me; 

Quote from: KingDinosaurGames
"The custom Prophet element is handled solely through events, unfortunate there is no custom component specifically for Old One/Chosen One interactions."
It sounded like "The GOO-specific Scheme is done through an event at gamestart", a cludge I've tried using for CK2 before.  Like, I'm not super concerned about ease of use for modding, since I'm not a modder and just want to make a bunch of themed GOOs, but I was vaguely curious.

I believe we have revealed two female agents - the Great Captain and the Exile.  Both of which wouldn't take kindly to being called a healer.  Their are more as well, though there are more males then females.
More men than women was expected, I'm just glad there's some cool stuff!

As far as heroes goes its a 50/50 spawn rate unless the Culture is specifically Patriarchal/Matriarchal.
Praise the sun!
Yes there are Events specific to an Old One, some of the Old One's have LONG event chains with mechanics tied in that effect their core gameplay while others have very few and mostly thematic events that provide at best little mechanical differences.   
I'm guessing Belial's one with a long, important event chain, but variety is the spice of life just the same.  That sounds super cool.

Quote from: DinosaurKingGames
Friendship amongst heroes (and even more importantly if they are friends with Champions and Leaders ) is extremely important, the value of exchanging clues alone can not be understated.  Corruption, willpower lost, wounds - all of these things are much easier to heal, and sometimes only if, they have a loyal friend with them.  Quests and Campaigns are much easier if a Hero can call on friends to help him, rather than have to either gather strangers or go it alone.  If you have corrupted a Hero he can spread his corruption to friends and those around him, though it's not a sure thing or particularly strong.  However, just having the corrupted Hero and the Infiltration he grants opens up more paths for your methods of corruption.
Oooo, wait, that makes total sense, being friends with leaders and stuff opening up avenues to, well, mostly Bad Things for you (Unless corrupted, I guess!).  It'd be kind of hilarious if some poor, dumb bastard had no chance in hell of interpreting an amazingly big Clue that they just happened to take off the map, but is like, six degrees removed from Aladrane, First Blade of the Republic.  And then it becomes one of those Things where you start killing all the people who notice you're killing people...  And this all sounds fantastic, I'm quite a fan.  I'm guessing corrupting heroes has its own costs, since (and I may have misunderstood), they can be agents.

"Corrupted Buddies" is a great term by the way, that should have been our company name.
I am proud, yet ashamed, to have come up with competition for dinosaurs.

Quote from: Majestic7
Yeah, I was thinkin' of all of that, and I'm glad to see it's in there.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 02:10:40 am by Rutee »

Mithras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: October 17, 2014, 02:16:35 am »

The conversation about death gods got me thinking about modding, and possibilities inherent in it and I wondered if these were moddable.

Schemes or old one powers that enabled a hero to trade statistics. Such as gaining more overal health for a cost of willpower, healing for willpower, or gaining more attack for health. A similiar mechanic for leaders and POIs (especially cities that could solve short term problems by sacrificing permanent resources (lowering their need for food but reducing their output of lore for example). The idea is to have a faustian bargains element to an old one, giving the enemy the opportunity to gain power and flexiblity that comes with a price then manipulating the world so that the strentgh goes un (or ill)used and the price has to be paid again and again.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: October 17, 2014, 03:41:27 am »

Oh, I like that. A Faustian Pact Old One would be cool - the mortals would corrupt themselves in their greed and lust for power without you having to do much. Most likely they wouldn't quite know what they were dealing with - and of course, should you grant too much power, they might become too mighty to control and turn against you.

It could also be an addiction; even the purest Hero gradually succumbing because they need the taste of your dark magic. This could tie into low willpower, more desperate heroes being more likely to take another look.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: October 17, 2014, 06:05:33 am »

That could be another action for the Biomancer/Fleshweaver to take.... Desperate, maimed heroes might come to her for healing and she'd fix them alright, but at a price to their sanity.

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #854 on: October 17, 2014, 09:18:39 am »

Okay I can't find a way to link comments on IDB, but you said it on the That Which Sleeps summary page in response to Guest-me; 

"The custom Prophet element is handled solely through events, unfortunate there is no custom component specifically for Old One/Chosen One interactions."
It sounded like "The GOO-specific Scheme is done through an event at gamestart", a cludge I've tried using for CK2 before.  Like, I'm not super concerned about ease of use for modding, since I'm not a modder and just want to make a bunch of themed GOOs, but I was vaguely curious.

Ah, that was a typo - the first "Prophet" should also be "The Chosen One".  I believe they were asking about the special interactions we had mentioned that a certain Old One (Sisyphus) has with the Chosen One, and if that was a special "element" of the Old One's configuration - but it's actually configured in the events section with a simple IF statement.
That Which Sleeps
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 210