Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 136

Author Topic: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.  (Read 203392 times)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

IIRC they(the IS & FSA) do have rifles and some cheap AT weapons from China... Granted, there may be two or three countries in between.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Meanwhile in Nigeria, Boko Haram has a new leader. It is unclear what happened to the last leader, who swore allegiance to IS.

In a speech, the new leader has said that he wants Boko Haram to stop attacking mosques and muslims. Instead, he wants his followers to focus on boobytrapping every church that they can find, and kill all christian civilians.

In other news, Russia accuses US backed rebels in Syria of using chemical weapons.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 04:10:26 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How are chemical weapons worse then conventional artillery shells, though

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Something something Geneva convention.

While not true in all cases, artillery shells usually kill quickly. Chemical weapons kill slow and agonizing.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You cant hide from them, and many of them will go through clothing and do their thing through skin or on it. Some also consist of small enough particles to not be stopped by air filters in a protective mask.

Suffocation, 3rd degree burns and/or blood poisoning/sepsis death that doesnt care about where you are or who you are, combatant or not, aint fun. Theres still lots of civilians in Aleppo.

I'd kinda think its more likely that the government has such weapons... Than Jihadis, who I believe would have used them earlier. They would have possessed them for years already.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Government doesnt need to use them, as they are winning the battle. On other hand rebels are losing, and are in very desperate state at the moment, as the offensive on Aleppo is slowly failing.

This is the biggest battle in last few year, with around 5 000 rebels attacking with very good coordination and planning. First wave was few suicide attacks, and than they moved in with armor and troops, used tunnel bombs,  and had a lot of gains on beginning of the offense. It was also planed out and used as great propaganda moment, as all offensives on beginning were recorded with drones and posted on net. But after SAA regrouped, they managed to stop the advance, and slowly move in counter offensive. The battle is still going on, a lot of civilians dying from rebels artillery strikes and syrian/russian air strikes, and huge amount of casualties on both sides.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 04:59:36 am by miljan »
Make love not war

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I'd kinda think its more likely that the government has such weapons... Than Jihadis, who I believe would have used them earlier. They would have possessed them for years already.
Gas attacks were conducted earlier though, it's one of the things that nearly got Murrica into the war

Plus you gotta factor in continual production from Western jihadi chemical experts who went to Syria in addition to any stockpiles they may have captured

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gas attacks were conducted earlier though, it's one of the things that nearly got Murrica into the war

Plus you gotta factor in continual production from Western jihadi chemical experts who went to Syria in addition to any stockpiles they may have captured

Why weren't they used earlier... Say, when Aleppo was nearly surrounded early this year?

Do we even have a reliable source that the attack was real?

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why weren't they used earlier... Say, when Aleppo was nearly surrounded early this year?

There are videos of the atack, or better said people having problems in hospital

They did use them, multiple times in aleppo during this few months. And best proofs are video recordings of people hit by it. But I dont know are there any for this last attack (there are pictures in the hospital and person that die of it, but cant find any videos)
Make love not war

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

They weren't?

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-syria-idlib-idUSKCN10D0OZ
I don't know what's going on, rebels blame regime, regime blames rebels. Could be regime, but they've been sending their stockpiles to Western countries for destruction. Could be rebels, but they would've had to have made it themselves or captured a stockpile. Some eyewitnesses say the most recent attack was one dropped from a helicopter, and helicopter suggests regime, if you believe the eyewitness. So dunno ~o.o~

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Regarding those chemical weapons... I used to run almost every evening past one of the factories they were disposed in. You can hear and small that place a few km out.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

That's pretty radical (in a non-terroristic way)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile

The two are not incompatible.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You cant hide from them, and many of them will go through clothing and do their thing through skin or on it. Some also consist of small enough particles to not be stopped by air filters in a protective mask.

Suffocation, 3rd degree burns and/or blood poisoning/sepsis death that doesnt care about where you are or who you are, combatant or not, aint fun. Theres still lots of civilians in Aleppo.

Conventional artillery shells still turn everything into something like moonscape, where people will have to suffer from lack of proper housing, jobs and everything for next 35 years until things are rebuilt( if they ever will be)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Conventional artillery shells still turn everything into something like moonscape, where people will have to suffer from lack of proper housing, jobs and everything for next 35 years until things are rebuilt( if they ever will be)

Is it worse to be homeless... than dead? Civilians in a warzone are always a problem, and unfortunately inhabited areas are easy to defend and can have important industry, infrastructure or other to protect. Especially so in a long civil war.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 136