Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 136

Author Topic: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.  (Read 203622 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

getting Chinese aid for peaceful nuclear reactors,

Khm... I hope it means that Iranians decided to give no contracts to Russia.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

With China going publicly toward Iran, Saudi Arabia long lost buds, the U.S, will make a U-turn and bring them back home.

If i was a country in the World, i would prefer to be the richer one, with the better funded army and the stronger ally.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

tope pope fetch me rope

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

The peace talks about Syria, held in Geneve starting next friday, will be held without the SYrian Kurds. They are not welcome, and recieved no invitation. According to the UN, "the PYD cause the most problems, so we did not invite them".
With "problems", he means that there are too many other parties that refuse to join the talks, if the Kurds are present, mainly, Turkey.

A rebel group with allegiance to Saudi Arabia will lead the peace talks.

Meh. Peace talks without Syrian Kurds fail before they even start.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

While in Geneva, mediators are still struggling to get the various delegations present to the peace negotiations table, today in Syria's capital Damascus, 45-60 people were killed in a double attack. First, someone drove a car into a parking garage for public transport, next to the the most important holy place to Shiites in Syria.
Then, when rescue workers and medical teams arrived at the scene, two suicide bombers detonated their bomb vests amidst those and the crowd.
The Syrian ministry of Defense says there are 45 victims so far, Human Rights Watch Syria reports 60 deaths.

In Geneva, the delegation from Assad's government calls the opposition terrorists, and say it's not clear to them who is actually representing the opposition. The are speaking with the governments of Saudi Arabia, France and the US, and consider those three nations to be their spokesmen.

Meanwhile, the delegation from the opposition parties has threatened to leave the negotiations immediatly, if Assad does not stop it's acts of violence. The claim that the Assad delegation has only come to Geneva to "gain more time to kill more people".

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The peace talks about Syria, held in Geneve starting next friday, will be held without the SYrian Kurds. They are not welcome, and recieved no invitation. According to the UN, "the PYD cause the most problems, so we did not invite them".
With "problems", he means that there are too many other parties that refuse to join the talks, if the Kurds are present, mainly, Turkey.

A rebel group with allegiance to Saudi Arabia will lead the peace talks.

Meh. Peace talks without Syrian Kurds fail before they even start.

Yeah, peace talks without all Syrian parties involved is going to be doomed from the start....

Also, Turkey is stupid.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

MARTIN POST SOURCE, MAKE EVERYONE SMART

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Thanks, it's certainly juicy news
http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-mideast-crisis-syria-geneva-idUKKCN0V807S
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-blast-shiite-idUSKCN0V90E1
The articles the volksrant is using

Bombing the shrine sure is one way to torpedo peace talks

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why would newspaper call itself volks rant?

Thats like newspaper named yelling comrades

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

"volks" "krant"

literally "people's newspaper"

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

"volks" "krant"

literally "people's newspaper"

Which is even more commie sounding than yelling comrades.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How can you even torpedo peace talks that don't include most sides of the civil war?

ISIS and Al Nusra were not even included and they are a major force in this civil war, Jaish Al Islam and Ahrar Al Sham were rejected by Assad and the Russians (Rightly so, as they are all jihadists/salafists not too different to ISIS), The Kurds got rejected by Turkey and Assad is seen as soon to be gone by pretty much anyone who isn't his cousins, wife, sons and Iran so anything he agrees upon, which obviously would not include kicking himself out, will not have any lasting effect.

These "peace talks" are some kind of a ruse for something. i am not sure what though. could be to try and ease the pressure on Europeans, could be to try to actually have peace talks between Turkey, Russia, Iran and Saudi Arabia and could be just so Obama and Kerry could act like they have any clue about foreign relations.

It's now obvious most leaders underestimated this civil war and its implications. this is not some tribal war buried somewhere in an african jungle, this affects the entire world and if it doesn't end soon, it could even get worse and these peace talks are not a serious effort to end it so i am starting to think most leaders still either underestimate the gravity of the situation, are too scared to act seriously or just wish to pass the little time they have left in power by kicking the can further down the road.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ukraine has drawn up plans for a potential military contribution to the fight against Isis in Syria in a move that could also pit its troops against Russian forces in the Middle East.

An options paper drawn up by Ukraine’s defence ministry is to be discussed this week during a visit by US Defence Secretary Ash Carter, who has been touring the world gathering support for the war against the extremist jihadist group.

According to those who have read it, the paper – produced at the behest of President Petro Poroshenko – highlights the possibility of Ukrainian forces coming up against Russian forces in Syria, and details potential contributions.

A Ukrainian government source said: “We have prepared a range of options for our support against Isis including in Syria, which could include troops. It could result in potential clashes with Russians.”
source

Time to join the !fun!
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 136