Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 136

Author Topic: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.  (Read 203555 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

FauxNews is 1000x shittier than CNN.
"We're not as bad as fox news" is not a badge of honour, CNN and Fox News only differ in subtlety.

CNN is pretty bad for anything but local news, but not in the same way as Fox or MSNBC. They don't have a consistent political leaning, at least around here, but they are known for making things up and doing manipulative not-quite-lying things to make things more interesting when they don't.
They are also known for taking money from foreign governments in exchange for reporting in line with their agenda, as well as having political agendas of their own. Their leanings are also quite clearly a particular brand of democrat, but the latter just seems to be a fact of American news being divided on party lines whilst their taking in bribes is a level of scum beyond.
Having just returned from Bahrain, Lyon says she "saw first-hand that these regime claims were lies, and I couldn't believe CNN was making me put what I knew to be government lies into my reporting."

The following day, a representative of CNN's business affairs office called Lyon's acting agent, George Arquilla of Octagon Entertainment, and threatened that her severance payments and insurance benefits would be immediately terminated if she ever again spoke publicly about this matter, or spoke negatively about CNN.
Relevant. CNN is just more subtle than Fox or MSNBC, but it's very much nothing more than another head on the same beast.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yep, CNN, MSNBC, and Fox are all shit. It doesn't matter how shitty any particular shit is, it all stinks.

They are all propaganda. So is Russia Today, but RT is far more useful as it acts as a counterbalance to American propaganda.

There are no longer major news organizations that are actually fair and balanced. No, not even the BBC.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 05:03:46 am by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, the US is sending some special forces troops to Syria, northern Syria and less than 50 total.

Now that both the US and Russia have troops on the ground (however small the numbers), I think the potential for an incident have just increased exponentially.

It's unfortunate that the whole Syrian Civil War has become a chess match between major powers, both globally and regionally.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

It was inevitable that the whole Syrian Civil War has become a chess match between major powers, both globally and regionally.
FTFY. Acting like this is just an unfortunate coincidence is not a good idea.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It was inevitable that the whole Syrian Civil War has become a chess match between major powers, both globally and regionally.
FTFY. Acting like this is just an unfortunate coincidence is not a good idea.

I'm not saying it's an unfortunate coincidence or thinking that it's a coincidence at all. I'm saying that it's unfortunate that it HAS been hijacked by the power players, at least to the levels the it has come to.

Then again, the power players have had their stakes in it from the beginning, it's just become more overt recently and up several notches.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Its not something that can be regulated to conveniently low-key verbal bashing and good ol fashioned propping after having 100s of thousands of refugees knocking on the borders of the west.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

The Syrian civil war was a chess match from the start, this is nothing new at all.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was just bemoaning the point it's gotten to, but global and regional powers gonna globally and regionally power.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

The alternative is do nothing and let Syria turn into worse Somalia

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I thought that was pretty much what we were doing the whole time...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

So apparently some people claiming to be ISIS militants claimed responsibility for the Russian plane crash. Russia denies, as it seems unlikely the jihadist would have the equipment needed to down a jet flying at 9000m.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So apparently some people claiming to be ISIS militants claimed responsibility for the Russian plane crash. Russia denies, as it seems unlikely the jihadist would have the equipment needed to down a jet flying at 9000m.
Planting a bomb in the plane before its departure is the most logical way for ISIS to do it. Minor airlines don't have great security.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.
« Reply #777 on: November 01, 2015, 12:16:52 am »

All the evidence that we've seen so far points to it being a mechanical failure of some sort. For one thing, the wife of the pilot's wife has been quoted as saying that he complained about the state of the plane's maintenance. The airline that owned the plane doesn't have very good safety record, it seems. Two, before the plane crashed, the pilot indicated that he was looking for a place to land. Three, a minor ISIS affiliate is not what I'd call a reliable source by any means.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
Re: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.
« Reply #778 on: November 01, 2015, 12:36:04 am »

Are you saying that the FAA's regulations for maintenance aren't adhered to across the world?

So what happens between countries that are at war with each other and the internet between them?

Will the US have access to Russia's websites, or will all those communication methods be shut down?

Or will it be info-war? That'll do a number on the internet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #779 on: November 01, 2015, 12:57:18 am »

I thought that was pretty much what we were doing the whole time...
Openly, excluding all aid and "advisers"
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 136