Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 136

Author Topic: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.  (Read 203334 times)

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.
« Reply #345 on: September 10, 2014, 01:37:47 pm »

I am glad we could establish that massacring christians is not haram according to the Quran.

Next is accepting that ISIS and friends are not only following Islam, but doing so closer to the original actions and words than all those muslim apologetics.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 01:59:05 pm by burningpet »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.
« Reply #346 on: September 10, 2014, 03:20:58 pm »

Yeah yeah, and Jesus comes not to bring peace but bearing a sword, which is why the Crusaders were better Christians than any of the modern day weenies.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 10, 2014, 03:29:28 pm »

Anyway, I'm declaring my own Caliphate. With coke, whiskey, blackjack and hookers*. All hail the new Shebinad Caliphate!
Ah, that explains the avatar...

Anyway, if your Caliphate offers 72 hookers in the afterlife, I'll volunteer as a suicide drinker.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 10, 2014, 05:18:29 pm »

You know, Christianity got "Thou Shall Not Kill" written in big honking letters right in the 10 commandments, and it never stopped a murder. You should get over your Islamophobia burningpet, yeah, people are doing all kind of horrible things in the name of Islam at the moment, but it doesn't mean Islam is fundamentally horrible in the same way that the inquisition and crusades don't make Christianity evil.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 11, 2014, 01:28:55 am »

Yeah yeah, and Jesus comes not to bring peace but bearing a sword, which is why the Crusaders were better Christians than any of the modern day weenies.

"Sword" is a mistranslation. A more accurate term is 'knife used by merchants to divide'. The disciples misunderstood the message as well, which is when they suggested they go buy a knife, Christ said "That is enough," or "Enough with that".

"Thou shalt not kill" is another mistranslation from "Thou shalt not murder". The word retzach is used. This word is never used in conjunction with wars. I'd go on, but I don't know why I'm bothering with this post in the first place.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 11, 2014, 11:03:25 am »

Bauglir was making a point that following a literal but shallow and selective reading of a holy book doesn't make you "better" at that religion.

I mean, look at that Islam and War page that BP loves to cite.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_and_war
Make a holy war, do not embezzle the spoils; do not break your pledge; and do not mutilate (the dead) bodies; do not kill the children
Ah yes, ISIS have definitely not been doing any of these things

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 11, 2014, 01:00:17 pm »

I am glad we could establish that massacring christians is not haram according to the Quran.

Next is accepting that ISIS and friends are not only following Islam, but doing so closer to the original actions and words than all those muslim apologetics.
*yawn*

And the Army of God (an extreme pro-life terrorist group in the United States) are following Christianity. What's your point?

99% of modern Christians have diverged from the "original actions and words" of the Bible and 1st-century Christianity, through 2000 years of theological discussion and debate. That's the whole point of fundamentalism, is that it sees this process as a bad thing and tries to return to just the original source material. Should we interpret your logic to say that only the most extreme fundamentalist sects are the "true" representatives of a religion? In which case, "true" Christians are misogynistic dominionist Communists. Depending on which early sect you decide had it right. (Personally, I think Christianity went off the rails with St. Paul. But that's me.)

Judaism and Islam have an even more involved process of debate and religious jurisprudence and a body of literature and theology which has grown from the original source material. To say that Wahhabi Islam is "more Islamic" than the Sufis or the Ismail'is or the Druze is to be a fundamentalist yourself, though for your own pernicious reasons.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 11, 2014, 01:48:59 pm »

So how's everyone's eagleday going? I got in an argument at work when I said it was like celebrating the Reichstag fire, except we don't do that because the Nazis lost their war while we never want ours to end.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 11, 2014, 01:51:31 pm »

So how's everyone's eagleday going? I got in an argument at work when I said it was like celebrating the Reichstag fire, except we don't do that because the Nazis lost their war while we never want ours to end.

Dandy. All the people I associate with at work are as sick of the flag-waving and chest beating as I am.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 11, 2014, 02:56:55 pm »

I work at home, so no problem there. Although the dog was woofing some shit about "Islamo-fascists". Stupid dog.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 11, 2014, 03:21:14 pm »

What's Eagle Day?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 11, 2014, 04:09:28 pm »

What's Eagle Day?
It's the anniversary of the Twin Towers falling, so we have to be extra super mega patriotic today so that the terrorists don't win. Since eagles are our national animal, it's Eagle Day.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 11, 2014, 05:36:10 pm »

What's Eagle Day?
It's the anniversary of the Twin Towers falling, so we have to be extra super mega patriotic today so that the terrorists don't win. Since eagles are our national animal, it's Eagle Day.
Typical celebration includes eating Freedom Fries and chanting "Never Forget".
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 11, 2014, 07:25:02 pm »

And God help the man who doesn't put his flag at half-mast.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 136