Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 136

Author Topic: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.  (Read 204142 times)

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Q: what do the other western countries expect from the US?
A: I think most non-US western people fall in two categories.

First category are those who really think you interfere too much in foreign politics and should really start minding your own business. Not only in the middle-east, but everywhere. Cut your military presence over the world, stop pretending to be some kind of global police. Like, now.
The middle-east will fix itself over time, like Europe did. We were unable to go two decades without slaughtering ourselves until 70 years ago. Why is it so unreasonable to expect other countries to go through an equally violent process before reaching some kind of peaceful stability?

Second category are people equally sick of your foreign politics bullshit, but expect you to actually realize what you promised and fix what you broke.
A stable country with a decent government and a reasonable army to defend itself. These were your proclaimed goals when you invaded both Iraq and Afghanistan. Nobody asked you (I hate using "you" when talking politics, but "we vs you" seems to be the dominant trend over there in the US) to achieve such goals in the first place. You defined your own goals and failed miserably. Now the so-called public opinion expect you to not leave those countries in a worse shape than they have ever been. Just compare current Iraq and pre-invasion Iraq.
It was bad back then. It's fucking miserable now.

There's a third cathegory, but I don't think they can be taken seriously by any reasonably informed person. Some people actually think you wreck countries all over the world out of sheer altruism or desire for democracy and justice for all.
Pretty laughable, I realize, but they actually do exist.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm definitely in the first category myself, even though I guess I don't count since I am a American. It's that second category that I think Barbarossa was talking about, and they seem like hypocrites to me. They also seem to be more and more common.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't understand that standpoint, unless you're calling for general action from all affluent nations in a group effort lead by something like the UN or some shit. But if you're saying "Wow America you sure ruin everything. You should stop sticking yourself into places. Except when I personally think you should of course. Like now! Stick your nose in now!" I can't understand it.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

they seem like hypocrites to me

I'm somwehere between the two, depending on the context.
But why hypocrites?
Look at Iraq from a western-europe point of view.
Over time a big chunk of european public opinion went from "yawn, they are invading yet another country" to "this is going downhill real fast" to "wtf are they doing?".
Over the same timespan your proclaimed objective went from "let's do something about Saddam and his imaginary WMD" to "let's build a stable country able to run itself without foreign support".
You didn't simply fail to achieve the latter objective. Iraq is now in a worse shape than it has ever been and you are the main cause. Why is it hypocritical to expect you to fix that mess?
I personally don't want another US invasion, but can definitely see when the supporters are coming from.
And I definitely don't want the european armed forces to take any part in whatever course of action you decide to take.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud

Something to consider - there is no making everyone happy in this situation. This debate is decidedly circular. We fucked up on several counts, and there's lots of people that want us to fix it and lots of people that would rather we just butt out. We're going to be the bad guys to someone. So pretty much all I'm taking away from this is we'll continue to do what we want, people will continue to criticize us for whatever that is, and lots of people will die pointless deaths either way. This is what happens when you solve problems with a bullet.

Is that depressing? Yes it is. Do I have another counter-point? Nope. The world is going to be shitty either way, and people will hate me for where I was born regardless. It's pretty messed up that, failing having the chutzpah and reputation to use actual diplomacy, I'd love for the US to bust out an army of newly minted drones and 'solve' this with killer robots - normally that would incite dread of an apocalyptic/dystopian scenario where we have the stockpile to turn them against our own people without the inconvenience of actual soldiers pulling the trigger, but at least then I wouldn't have anyone close to me in danger.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I don't hate the American public (not most of it, anyways), I just hate the morons you elected.

Well it is a representative democracy....
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why is it hypocritical to expect you to fix that mess?
Hypocracy because the US hasn't gotten significantly better. There's not going to be a largely different outcome. They are decrying something and then asking for it to happen again. Hypocracy was the nicest word I could think of. (Foolishness might be another word, but I was giving the benefit of the doubt.)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

Shortly after starting second grade, the World Trade Center was attacked and my school was closed for a few days. I heard a bit about the invasion of Afghanistan but I didn't really understand it. I was quite aware why the invasion happened though, since I remembered the tragedy that happened in New York. (Hearing that 3,000 people died was pretty devastating to a kid that just experienced the first death of a close family member; my grandmother died a week prior.)

Two years later, America invaded Iraq. This one I wasn't quite sure about, but I figured it was an extension of the other war. I was 8 years old or so, and I didn't know what a WMD was. I occasionally watched coverage of the invasion with my dad. I remember watching a broadcast of the dark sky over Baghdad, my dad told me the army was bombing it. He mentioned that there were a lot of anti-aircraft defenses, and that's what some of the bright flashes were on our TV.
Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11.

Fast forward eight-ish years, over the course of which our economy's taken a bit of a tumble and we've spent an insane amount of money on the war. I wasn't old enough to vote in 2008, but if I could I would have supported Obama in no small part because I wanted our wars to end. Several people I knew were sent overseas, as well as the relatives of some of my friends. By this point I've run audio equipment and set up for two separate funerals for citizens of my tiny town at the church across the street from my house, including one for the son of my mom's co-worker.
My condolences for your loss, but try to imagine an Iraqi making a similar post about the impact that the invasion (and the subsequent civil war, and now the genocidal campaign of the IS) has had on their lives.

And then, hooray, we're finally pulling out of Iraq. Just about every other country had withdrawn from Iraq, and the country was in a reasonably stable state. We fucked up a bit, but we tried pretty hard to get everything working again. Iraq had a reasonably functional military of its own. I don't have to run any more funerals, we're not spending absurd amounts of money on that war, and my friend's dad gets to come home.
"We fucked up a bit" is putting it pretty mildly, considering the devastating civil war that followed, and the complete failure of the occupying forces to devise a government system that would not lead to sectarian domination.

Now that ISIS is going crazy over there, the same international community that left Iraq, and encouraged us to leave (I remember reading Newsweek articles about this!) is asking us to go back. I can't say I have any desire for the US to send troops there again. One of my high school friends is stationed on a ship in the eastern Mediterranean, and I hope that's as close as he ever goes.

Yes, the US fucked up a bit in Iraq. But it's a pretty tall order to just demand some other country send its people off to war just because we've done it before. I don't think that's very fair. I don't know where you're from, but how would you like it if people from another country were asking your friends, your extended family, and your local electronics store owner to go to war in Iraq? That's a pretty absurd thing to say.
Do you really think it's unreasonable to expect a country to fix the problems it creates (in this case by inflaming sectarian divisions, crippling the Iraqi army and carelessly providing weapons that are now in the hands of IS militants)?  Particularly when they are the country that is best able to fix the problem.  If it were possible to undo the Iraq invasion that would be great, but it isn't, so I expect the US to deal with the consequences of that.

I'm aware that it's not pleasant for people to go off to war, but it's also not pleasant for people to be slaughtered and sold into slavery.

I don't understand that standpoint, unless you're calling for general action from all affluent nations in a group effort lead by something like the UN or some shit. But if you're saying "Wow America you sure ruin everything. You should stop sticking yourself into places. Except when I personally think you should of course. Like now! Stick your nose in now!" I can't understand it.
Let's imagine you tell me not to go into somebody's house, because you think I'll break their stuff.  But I ignore you, I go into their house.  While I'm in there I do indeed smash a vase and set fire to their living room.

Now you're telling me that I should stay and help clear up that vase and put out that fire?  But you didn't want me to go in to start with???  What a hypocrite.  I'm just gonna leave now, you've got your wish.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud

I don't hate the American public (not most of it, anyways), I just hate the morons you elected.
The morons we've elected are a symptom of much deeper problems, IMO. We can point at the crazy dictatorships in the world, and what we've done to fix(?) them, and scream foul all we want - nothing terrifies me more, and nothing should terrify the world in general more, than the US losing its humanist principles in the current onslaught of misanthropy and self-loathing. I'm not forgetting PRISM. We aren't immune to democracy being outright ignored by our leaders, and we have a hell of a lot more nukes than IS. For that reason I think it's time we butt out and lick our wounds for a while.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Let's imagine you tell me not to go into somebody's house, because you think I'll break their stuff.  But I ignore you, I go into their house.  While I'm in there I do indeed smash a vase and set fire to their living room.

Now you're telling me that I should stay and help clear up that vase and put out that fire?  But you didn't want me to go in to start with???  What a hypocrite.  I'm just gonna leave now, you've got your wish.

Mate. You should be in jail, not still in the house. Also this analogy doesn't work because America is not a single person.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's interesting to notice that in all this back & forth about whether the US caused the problem or not, & whether it's someone else's turn to f' up the middle east, that no-one mentions the UK/Australian involvement (albeit on a smaller scale). We had our own share in messing things up.

As far as getting involved I think America & co should not of got involved in the 1st place. Just made the situation worse. Having gone in though we probably should of stuck around, rather then leave the power vaccum. Of course that's easier to say in hindsight. I suspect if America (or anyone else) goes in again the exact same thing is going to happen. A few years down the track popular opinion will be, job done, lets get out, same thing that always happens. The middle east will still be messed up & a whole heap of people will be dead without achieving what we set out to do. So as much as I think we caused this mess & should fix it, chances are it'll be the same half-arsed solution again.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The UK was also involved in the invasion, yeah, and it's likely to also be involved in the fight against IS.
Also this analogy doesn't work because America is not a single person.
So what you're saying is that since the US is a state (which elected the officials that started the Iraq war, and which supported the war when it happened) that somehow absolves it of all responsibility?  How?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do you want to have a conversation? Or stawman me? If you seriously want to just put words in my mouth that's fine, but in the interest of saving space you might as well as do it in a notepad.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe you should explain your reasoning rather than forcing me to guess then??

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe you should explain your reasoning rather than forcing me to guess then??
No, I'm seriously not going to have a conversation in which you refuse to read most of my posts and cherrypick sentences for conclusions that are in direct opposition to the paragraph that you pulled the sentence from and then when I complain about it you accuse me of being unclear.

That's not the conversation I am having. I literally don't care about this topic enough for that. If you want to have a argument with me that's fine, but until you manage to come up with something from what I said that's not totally inane I will simply ignore you.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 136