Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 136

Author Topic: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.  (Read 204139 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Impossible
Next to impossible

Somewhere slightly between the two

But hey, if you want a rescue corridor to the Elbe, just give me a c5 ride and some tan spraypaint for my baby. Mind you, that's going to be a helluva lot of destruction inherent is establishing any sort of ground corridor like that. But y'know, no matter what the United States does, it's the wrong option.

Maybe we'll learn to stop watering rabbits with our blood sometime.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I was exasperated, felt like Ai Shizuka thought we could just tear through them like wet paper with minimal losses.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I mean, ground-wise, we could, for classical if not modern values of minimum. No half-assed middle eastern stands against a thunder-run, but that would be a horrible, bloody, awe-inspiring cluster fuck. Killing people acting like soldiers and taking ground is much, much easier that holding ground against the iffy population of Iraq. Besides the massive logistical footprint required and all that, of course.

The idea of massive berlin airlift type apocalypse now rescue from the air is the kind of thing that I couldn't even accept in a fun, b-grade technothriller novel.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Hell, states might even be able to, if you're only counting losses re: US military forces. It'd just, y'know, probably leave a great chunk of the countryside as naught much but rubble. More rubble. Rubblier.

Maybe if we just level the mountains we wouldn't have to worry about getting people off 'em?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

I'm not sure why you're hand-wringing about how impossible a corridor would be, that seems to be basically what they're planning.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/13/us-ground-troops-direct-role-evacuate-yazidis-iraq
Incidentally IS tends to operate in concentrated and obvious military units, I don't think civilian casualties in air strikes are actually a major concern (unless the US decides to try assassinating people who aren't currently in combat).

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile

Aid officials in the region said that any operation to open a land route would probably require significantly greater number of soldiers, American and peshmerga than are currently available in the region, as they would have to fight their way across Isis controlled territory to reach Mount Sinjar. That would represent a political problem for Washington. US officials have stressed that the American troops in Iraq will not be involved in combat.
That doesn't seem to be what they're planning.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

I don't have a link, as I saw it in the newspaper (*gasp*) but it seems that the US is also giving weapons to Kurdish fighters. And as much as I feel we should go and deal with this, my head says that the quagmire will only get deeper and the condemnation will only intensify. That said, I don't see any rush from Europe to do a damn thing except to complain about the US doing/not doing things in the Middle East some more.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

AFAIK USA didn't send conscripts to Iraq. Yeah, I bet a lot of the soldiers joined the military not expecting to ever go into an actual war, which was a pretty stupid bet to make, but they made it of their own free will and they lost it.

And yeah, my position was that if you break something you're responsible for fixing it. Propping up the corrupt and ineffective Iraqi government was a half-assed ductape job at best.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 01:48:18 am by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Better than propping up a half-assed dictator.

But y'know, Iraq as a country either gets chaos or dictators. They're not socially developed for anything better. I say that without rancor or social Darwinism, the people just don't *think* that way right now. That's a very large reason of why the Kurds are a reasonable army and the Iraqis aren't. Lord knows that we proved that neither time, nor money, nor expertise pumped into a country can turn them professional if there isn't some kind of core to it.

And the United States hasn't had the draft since Vietnam, so, y'know, learn your terminology.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

Yeah, a country is just not going to switch to a working democracy after a long dictatorship or a history of imperialist oppression/absolute monarchies/military dictatorships. The mindset of a society or its social nature takes time to develop away from wanting a strongman at the helm and towards an empowered social determinism. Those of us in the West seem to forget how long and hard the road to more open and freer societies was - we can not make it happen in places not ready for such systems.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 04:32:54 am by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yep. And it's especially telling when you look at the historical perspective. The Middle East was damn nice, better than the rest of the world, for long periods of time.

So, at the end of the day, it ain't going to be a nice place in the next twenty years. But there's still a chance for it not to be a caliphate that beheads kids for shits, giggles, and likes.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Also, it's hard to get a decent support for a democratic system when coups happen as frequently as they happen in the Middle east.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

In western democracies, most of us have lived under a system we voted against. We would not have been happy, but we know how the system works - there will be another election, and until then we are allowed to voice displeasure and opinions, and even protest if we must. Those who only know totalitarianism do not understand this - opinions are absolute, dissent is not tolerable so is backed and met with violence, and regular, peaceful regime change reflecting the will of the majority is unknown. Hence the descent into violence of so many so called "new democracies" in the middle east.
This is a blank sig.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile

Free Syrian Army affiliated forces in Aleppo province surrounded by IS on one side and Syrian government forces on the other.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2014/08/fighters-capture-towns-syria-north-2014813134018291760.html
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

The main issue with Iraq as a democracy isn't a lack of "social development" (whatever that's supposed to mean), it's the fact that its borders were arbitrarily drawn with no regard to the people within.  This means that you have sects and ethnic groups that are largely opposed to each other , and just handing them a majority-rules system will clearly lead to a tyranny of the majority (Saddam's oppression of Shias didn't exactly help either).

I don't think that means democracy in Iraq is impossible, it just means that you need to have some mechanism in place to prevent the Sunnis from being shafted (either greater devolution in their areas or some requirement that a party has support from both sectors of society).
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 136