Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 136

Author Topic: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.  (Read 204125 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile

Could you clarify what you mean by that? The American people as a whole are demoralized, or the military and/or government? I am personally not super demoralized by the whole ordeal, though I really hope we don't go in with troops on the ground again. I suppose there is that sentiment, that Americans don't really want to go in with infantry and armor again, since that didn't go perfectly well last time.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One thing to remember is that America is demoralized right now.

I'm sure people are disappointed in Iraq failing the way it did, but demoralized? Nah. War exhaustion would be a better term to use, plus we don't really want to get back into Iraq again, you know how that worked out.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Could you clarify what you mean by that? The American people as a whole are demoralized, or the military and/or government? I am personally not super demoralized by the whole ordeal, though I really hope we don't go in with troops on the ground again. I suppose there is that sentiment, that Americans don't really want to go in with infantry and armor again, since that didn't go perfectly well last time.
I think he's referring to Americans for the first time opposing imposing freedom everywhere being in the majority

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think he's referring to Americans for the first time opposing imposing freedom everywhere being in the majority

Putting ground troops in isn't going to solve the problem because they'll swoop right back in from Syria (which is a complete recursive clusterfuck) and we don't want to do a long term occupation again.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Putting ground troops in isn't going to solve the problem because they'll swoop right back in from Syria (which is a complete recursive clusterfuck) and we don't want to do a long term occupation again.

last time you decided you're going to fuck around everywhere and then just take a break rwanda happened

so there's that

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Well hey, congratulations, then. Wherever the hell you're from can take a turn fucking around everywhere. Then, by your reasoning, miracle! No rwanda and the states can stay the hell out of the middle east. Win win, so far as I'm concerned.

Actually, just everywhere else period can have a swing at it. If it's a big enough problem the states "need" to step in, it's a big enough problem some other poor bastard(s) can do it instead. 'Bout time someone else started owning the clusterfuck. Tag! You suckers are it. Least that's the party line I intend to support over the next decade or so.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well you did kinda make the mess.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Hey, it was a lot more than the US that made that mess. There's the former soviet states (Russia seems to want to be that again, they can have the position of clusterfuck wrangler), the brits, the colonial powers in general, the natives, all the jackwads that have been sitting around with their thumbs up their arse not meaningfully contributing to fixing the problems... plenty of blame to spread around for that clusterfuck, if you're looking to assign it.

And if the brits can bugger off across the water and leave it to burn, so can we :)
Ask not!
Ask!

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well you did remove Saddam, who was more or less keeping things under control.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

and the brits buggered off because the entire world was doing the buggering off business

in fact they left most of the states they buggered out of in pretty decent shape

meanwhile you're buggering off leaving another south vietnam behind because lol fuck war

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well you did remove Saddam, who was more or less keeping things under control.

Via iron fist.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

meanwhile you're buggering off leaving another south vietnam behind because lol fuck war
Sounds like a plan. You lot going to do anything about it?

If y'all do, I think we'd be happy to help out a little. Something a bit more proportionate.
Ask not!
Ask!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

And yet he was, in spite of the genocide and such, actually making things better than they are now.
Hitler built nice highways, and brought free healthcare too.

EDIT: in before Obama-Hitler comparisons
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sounds like a plan. You lot going to do anything about it?

If y'all do, I think we'd be happy to help out a little. Something a bit more proportionate.

please, tell me more about how the entire world should chip in to fix the fallout of an unjust invasion of a sovereign nation

go ahead and write in detail who should do what for good measure

perhaps we could use the chinese to replace the murdered civilians, they've got plenty population

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

So... not going to do anything about it. Okay. I guess contributing to the reconstruction and stabilization of an unjustly invaded nation isn't reason enough to get anyone off their arse. Fair enough! I can appreciate that kind of vicious apathy, and have largely reached the point I recommend my own country adopt it.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 136