Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Super Volcanos  (Read 1494 times)

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
Super Volcanos
« on: August 07, 2014, 08:46:52 pm »

Are they a thing? And when they erupt, do they do anything to weather? I was wondering if there are any cases of something similar to Mt St Helens going on in a world that just caused a huge change in temperature.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Super Volcanos
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 09:04:09 pm »

Supervolcanoes aren't a thing, and volcanoes don't erupt yet, at least on their own.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 09:20:06 pm »

One day it may be a thing. Today it is not.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

grisha5

• Bay Watcher
  • [SACRIFICE_CAT:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 10:05:47 pm »

you can make volcanoes erupt using pumps.but i don't recommend you to do that if you don't want to say "bye!" to your fortress
kittunns yay ~WalterWhite from DashNet forums
i am a cat. with a laser gun to shoot cat killers

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 09:23:26 am »

you can make volcanoes erupt using pumps.but i don't recommend you to do that if you don't want to say "bye!" to your fortress
They can be very useful! Although they are also absurdly dangerous. So, you know. Ymmv.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 03:28:01 pm »

Are they a thing?

The easy answer is "no"; unless you end up with a particularly tall volcano, it doesn't affect weather; and even a tall one doesn't affect weather any more than any other tall peak (rain shadow, drainage, etc.). 

Additionally, no DF volcano actually erupts; they're closer to lava lakes above a pipe than an eruptive volcano.  (If you're enthused, you can attempt to *craft* an eruption with pumps, but it's tricky.)  If we ever get eruptions implemented, they may or may not have side effects such as sulfur dioxide "miasma" locally or larger-scale global effects; that's well in the category of "suggestion for a much later version". 

On the flip side... you could make a case that *all* of a DF world is situated on top of a supervolcano.  Massive, horizontal reservoirs of magma available comparatively close to the surface under a large area is a pretty functional definition of both.  Even the nominally "non volcanic" areas of DF are more like Yellowstone than someplace on a stable continental shield.