Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multi Tile Trees are Great But...  (Read 1061 times)

MystRunner

• Bay Watcher
  • Idiots Roam Free! Beware all ye who enter!
    • View Profile
Multi Tile Trees are Great But...
« on: August 05, 2014, 02:35:11 pm »

It's awesome the multi tile trees have been implemented. I've been waiting to see how it would look and it looks awesome. But there's one thing bugging me on it. Shouldn't mining the roots of a tree produce useable wood. I think it should and that would make a nice thing to do. Given how slow trees grow in game the roots could be a useable source of wood when trees become a bit scarce. This is just a simple thought is all. This is mostly since your woodcutter can't actually 'chop' out roots. Or perhaps that could become a job for the woodcutters. Miners won't dig through wood.  You need a woodcutter to chop through it and then the miners continue work?

* Tree roots provide useable wood.
* Miners not able to dig through roots.
* Woodcutters required to chop roots out of way.
I don't know what is more impressive, that dwarves can skip salting and curing meat opting for zombiefication, or that the dark art of necromancy has been twisted to the cause of curing meats.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature Simulator.

Izu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multi Tile Trees are Great But...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 07:57:23 pm »

It's awesome the multi tile trees have been implemented. I've been waiting to see how it would look and it looks awesome. But there's one thing bugging me on it. Shouldn't mining the roots of a tree produce useable wood. I think it should and that would make a nice thing to do. Given how slow trees grow in game the roots could be a useable source of wood when trees become a bit scarce. This is just a simple thought is all. This is mostly since your woodcutter can't actually 'chop' out roots. Or perhaps that could become a job for the woodcutters. Miners won't dig through wood.  You need a woodcutter to chop through it and then the miners continue work?

Quote from: me
I feel like the new trees and roots are messing up the clarity a lot. ): Are the roots planned to be "in" the ground, f.e. like gems? That would be nice!

Mining away a tile of soil could expose the hidden roots just like minerals and gems. A cut down tree above ground could leave roots underground for a while until they decay. Exposed roots call for a carpenter to remove them but it's not such a complex thing as cutting down a huge tree, anybody can chop off roots. I like your idea of making them a seperate task.

For me there's way too much wood right now. In my opinion, trees should give less wood in general and yes, roots should provide wood too
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 08:02:34 pm by Izu »

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multi Tile Trees are Great But...
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 08:51:12 pm »

Quote from: me
I feel like the new trees and roots are messing up the clarity a lot. ): Are the roots planned to be "in" the ground, f.e. like gems? That would be nice!

Mining away a tile of soil could expose the hidden roots just like minerals and gems. A cut down tree above ground could leave roots underground for a while until they decay. Exposed roots call for a carpenter to remove them but it's not such a complex thing as cutting down a huge tree, anybody can chop off roots. I like your idea of making them a seperate task.

For me there's way too much wood right now. In my opinion, trees should give less wood in general and yes, roots should provide wood too
Well, there's a reason that tons of buildings since ever were built from wood. That said, there should probably be a distinction between logs and branches, or something.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!