Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 82

Author Topic: Armchair General General - /AGG  (Read 137367 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Armchair General General - /AGG
« Reply #720 on: July 04, 2016, 01:21:03 pm »

When I saw it was you posting, my first though was "No Kot, Winged Hussars don't defeat the Daleks".

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: July 04, 2016, 01:24:12 pm »

What the heck are Xeelee?
The Xeelee are an alien race who are the undisputed masters of baryonic matter in the universe. They have technology beyond the scope of any other such species, including runner up humanity, who for all their power only manage to repeatedly fuck up all the carefully laid megaprojects the Xeelee are invested in and never achieve any real victories.

To give an idea of the kind of technology we're talking about here: The Xeelee are the creators of the Great Attractor. The Xeelee have seeded the timeline up to this point with machines that contain automated creation procedures for their species, allowing them to essentially make themselves from dust at any point in time. The Xeelee have a time-traveling AI called the Anti-Xeelee that resists changes to time that are non-optimal for the Xeelee.

The only threat to them in-universe are a species made of dark matter instead of baryonic matter, the Photino Birds.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #722 on: July 04, 2016, 01:38:46 pm »

When I saw it was you posting, my first though was "No Kot, Winged Hussars don't defeat the Daleks".
Well, it was shown that Dalek Gunstick beam could reflect back and destroy the Dalek if it struck a reflective surface.
Winged Hussars are pretty much covered in reflective surfaces because bling of war.

Thus, Winged Hussars defeat the Daleks.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: July 04, 2016, 01:39:45 pm »

From what setting are they?

Anyway, I just though of the real reason Star Wars would beat Star Trek. Star Trek FTL is SLOW. If war broke out on the Frontier, the first thing Starfleet would know about it is when Star Destroyer shows up in Earth Orbit.

So:

Time Lords > Dalek > Xeelee > Star Wars > Honorverse > Star Trek > Imperium of Man > Battlestar Galactica

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: July 04, 2016, 01:44:31 pm »

Honorverse > Star Trek
them's the fighting words m8
._.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: July 04, 2016, 01:44:40 pm »

From what setting are they?
Xeelee Sequence. (It's that sort of thing.)
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #726 on: July 04, 2016, 02:03:37 pm »

Completly seriously now, why Imperium of Man is so low? I mean, okay, not going to argue with Doctor Who circlejerk and Star Wars vs Imperium of Man question is old as fuck and has been resolved both ways, but Star Trek? Seriously? Those guys have barely any real weaponry, their FTL is proably even slower than Warp and so on.
As for Honorverse, I am not really sure but it seems it would have won even with Star Wars in space pretty easily, just by looking at the weaponry.

Also, this is all only space combat.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: July 04, 2016, 02:08:59 pm »

We sort of run into an issue when it comes to the Imperium due to scale. Taken all together, the Imperium could defeat all of Star Trek, but it would be through drowning their worlds in the wreckage of Imperial ships. One on one, the Imperium can't beat Trek because Trek ships are very small, very powerful for their size, and highly versatile.

It's like trying to fight patrol cutters with an aircraft carrier, except all the cutters have destroyer-level armament. Radically outside the norm.

While it's absolutely in character for the Imperium to throw people at a problem until they drown it with their corpses, it still puts Trek at a technically higher power level.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: July 04, 2016, 02:17:13 pm »

Also, add Halo to the list. Below Imperium of Man.
._.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: July 04, 2016, 02:24:28 pm »

To be fair though, it's not just the ships that should be taken into account, the ability to also take and hold planets should also be included.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: July 04, 2016, 05:03:51 pm »

Star Wars has casual interstellar travel and many, many thousands of years of technological stagnation at a level that is far beyond Trek.

The only technology that exists in Star Wars but not Star Trek is lightsabers.  All they do is "bigger".  A blaster has no place in Star Trek because it's hopelessly primitive to be shooting slow plasma at your enemy when you could be hitting them at the speed of light with energy that doesn't even travel in the same physical dimensions as their armor occupies.  In Star Wars slow plasma are the height of offensive technology.

Star Trek has replicators, no Star Wars equivalent.  Star Trek has sun destroying technology, no Star Wars equivalent. Star Trek has cloaking devices, no Star Wars equivalent.  Star Trek has computers capable of running complex physical simulations, no Star Wars equivalent.

It's thousands of years of technological stagnation alright.  But it sure aint beyond Trek.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 05:05:24 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: July 04, 2016, 05:05:19 pm »

Bigger is better, and you're also discounting the Force.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: July 04, 2016, 05:06:23 pm »

Bigger is better

So a 16th century Galleon is a better weapon then an attack helicopter?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: July 04, 2016, 05:07:44 pm »

It is if that Galleon has flak guns on it. The weapons gap is minuscule.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: July 04, 2016, 05:10:50 pm »

The weapons gap is minuscule.

Not remotely.

And this is a very roundabout argument.  You said bigger was better but now you are saying bigger is better because they are the same.  It seems like the bigger is better statement was completely freaking irrelevant.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 05:13:20 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 82