Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: Warden - "I have returned from beyond the grave to give the living haircuts."  (Read 24016 times)

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
Re: Warden (Website and gameplay videos in thread)
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2014, 05:03:28 pm »

Procedural generation might be a good later addition, but the core game is probably more important.

It might be interesting to have a few terrain options though, from forest to tundra and the like, which i imagine would alter gameplay strategies significantly.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warden - No longer in development.
« Reply #106 on: September 10, 2014, 04:22:52 pm »

Warden is no longer in development. It's not going on Kickstarter. There are too many deep-seated problems with it, both code-wise and mechanically. It's technically salvageable, but I'd prefer to reflect on what I've learned throughout the game's life and try to apply that to a future project. For now, though, I'm going to get ready for college and decompress after a year of focusing on one project.

Thank you, to all of you awesome folks who sat through testing! I hope you had a good time, and I wouldn't have been able to get this far without your feedback and suggestions. You're all awesome.

The last working version of the game is still available, though it's been moved from my Google Drive to Warden's website. It has a revamped Specter, which was at least an improvement despite the bugs and UI problems.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 10, 2014, 04:42:31 pm »

What will be your next project?

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 10, 2014, 05:26:29 pm »

That is too bad. It seemed to be fairly popular. Good luck on college and your next project.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2014, 05:57:59 pm »

That is a shame. Good luck with whatever comes next!
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

BadLemonsXI

• Bay Watcher
  • Lemons'o Doom.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt page.
« Reply #110 on: September 11, 2014, 02:44:49 am »

That's it use what you learnt in future projects and It was fun testing the game with you guys. Good luck with college and your next project.
I make comic things with my avatar for some reason.
No avatar is safe from my editing
\/\/It might be alive? Its been a year >_> 02-Nov-2017\/\/
¤Co-Gm'ing The Fear Master B-Movie ISG¤

Check out my Pixel art!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 11, 2014, 06:07:42 am »

Ahwell, it was fun.

Perhaps the next game you make will be warden MK2?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #112 on: September 13, 2014, 11:53:31 pm »

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 14, 2014, 06:47:19 pm »

Good luck on college and your next project.
Good luck with whatever comes next!
Good luck with college and your next project.

Thanks!

What will be your next project?

Way back when, before I began working on Warden, there was a game I wanted to make about wizards fighting. The early version was total crap, but it was FUN crap (the best strategy was to spam fireballs until either the other person died or your computer crashed from all the particles).

I think I might take another crack at it some time in the near future.

More descriptively, you built a deck of 'cards' (in-game they were renamed 'runes' or 'glyphs' or what have you for each class) and could use them to cast spells (i.e. one card = a specific spell, different for each class). You only had a certain number of cards throughout the game, though, so if you ran out you would have to rely on physical methods (melee fighting, parkouring away, dying horribly) to get by. All this took place in a TF2-style multiplayer environment, with a map of limited size and different objectives for different game modes.

Or at least, that would have happened if I had gotten past the 'spam fireballs' stage of gameplay.

I've begun writing up design docs so that I actually have a concrete plan when I start working on it, but actually making the game won't start for some time. Right now I'm focusing on my web programming job so I'll be able to purchase a better drawing tablet in the near future, after which I want to work on artistic stuff (specifically, drawing and animating). I guess what I'm saying is don't expect anything too soon.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 14, 2014, 06:48:53 pm »

You're bringing back Duel?

* My Name is Immaterial squees.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warden: Back from the dead!
« Reply #115 on: November 24, 2014, 03:42:18 pm »

Warden is officially resuming development! I know that's contradictory to everything I posted earlier, but oh well. Two months of semi-idleness changed my mind.

The To-Do List:
First off: rewriting some of the network code to A) make the server be authoritative, and B) transition some stuff away from RPC calls to network serialization. This will make players move more smoothly across clients, eliminate the problem of players being launched into the air when they run into other players, and significantly reduce the game's bandwidth usage.

Second: A couple rounds of testing, bugfixing, and polishing to gradually improve the game. Nothing earth-shattering here.

Third: While working on the second item in the list, I'll start work on a level editor. What this means is that people will be able to create custom maps and share them with friends to hopefully make the game a little more replayable. There will be a few limitations (mostly just slightly reduced performance on custom maps), but I'll do my best to sort through those as they come up.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 24, 2014, 07:01:50 pm »

Yessss!
And I might actually get to play in a few rounds this time too.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

BadLemonsXI

• Bay Watcher
  • Lemons'o Doom.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt page.
« Reply #117 on: November 24, 2014, 07:04:24 pm »

Nice its back. But the TS that we used last time isn't a 24/7 anymore so we'll have to get on to n9103 about time's to have it up for testing.
I make comic things with my avatar for some reason.
No avatar is safe from my editing
\/\/It might be alive? Its been a year >_> 02-Nov-2017\/\/
¤Co-Gm'ing The Fear Master B-Movie ISG¤

Check out my Pixel art!

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 01, 2014, 09:39:58 pm »

I'm back from Thanksgiving break, and I've gotten the player movement networking all rehashed to actually work like it's supposed to. Players should randomly speed up and clip ahead less now, and you (probably) won't go flying up into the air if you walk into somebody.

As I start working on a level editor, would anybody like to try playing the game as it is currently? I don't remember whether or not the revamped Specter was in the game last time we played, so that's something (although both it and the Prop Hunt monster already need to be revamped again, now that I look back over them. I'll get to that eventually).

If the Bay12 TS isn't up, I'll set up a TS or Mumble server or something for the game.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 02, 2014, 11:20:25 am »

The TS is alive (sorta) again...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15