Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves not using Weapons.  (Read 952 times)

Ornstein

• Bay Watcher
  • Glory to the RNG
    • View Profile
Dwarves not using Weapons.
« on: August 01, 2014, 10:54:27 pm »

Done a bit of research and the problem I'm encountering is that at least one of my squads (The Oily Rags) has successfully armed and armored themselves but they feel the need to simply punch the foe. Now, this is only training; but I don't want my Dwarves to run out and attempt to punch a FB when the next one comes a knockin'. Similarly, Ideally I'de like to avoid the entire squad training as wrestling.
And so he linked the !!flame!!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves not using Weapons.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 12:25:53 pm »

Done a bit of research and the problem I'm encountering is that at least one of my squads (The Oily Rags) has successfully armed and armored themselves but they feel the need to simply punch the foe.

The foe?  Or their sparring partners?  The two are not the same.

Now, this is only training; but I don't want my Dwarves to run out and attempt to punch a FB when the next one comes a knockin'.

Ah, sparring partners.  This is bug 7519.

They will use their weapons on real enemies, but unfortunately they don't train with their weapons very often in 0.40.04 or 0.40.05.  You can augment their sparring with individual weapon drills (take the squad off duty, but leave the barracks assignment, and they'll do solo weapon practice all day long), or danger rooms, etc.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Ornstein

• Bay Watcher
  • Glory to the RNG
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 08:27:53 pm »

Ah, thank you kindly. That would indeed be the problem. Time to fire up the old auto-poker.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 10:54:39 pm »

Ah, thank you kindly. That would indeed be the problem. Time to fire up the old auto-poker.
If by "auto-poker" you mean danger rooms, then let us all know how that works out for you. (No particular reason. ;))
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Ornstein

• Bay Watcher
  • Glory to the RNG
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 12:54:02 pm »

Indeed, the Danger rooms do seem to be working to train weapon skills.

For thoroughness, I unequipped half of the squads shields, and allowed the other half to retain theirs. For our control group we have a stray cat that wandered in.

Our danger room is a simple 1x4 room with 3 training spear traps, 10 each, and a statue.

A basic lever pulling dwarf or 3 sat outside and spammed the trap activation, the 2nd dwarf to take the task had a grudge against not one but two of the dwarves inside, so I can only assume/hope there was some vindictiveness involved.

The Dwarves armed with shields and weapons increased their weapon skills at a rate noticeably lower than those without shields equipped, but they still improved them nonetheless.

Both shield user and weapon skills increased at a rate much more swiftly than armor user, which seems anomalous.

Minor injuries sustained, the experiment had to be halted prematurely due to an axe dwarf giving birth, and nothing ruins the mood quite like baby kabob.

The cat unfortunately, did not survive.

I wonder how a coinstar danger room would preform now.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 02:22:17 pm »

Both shield user and weapon skills increased at a rate much more swiftly than armor user, which seems anomalous.

Think of it as a layered defense.  In order to train armor user, the attack has to not be parried by a weapon, and then not be blocked by a shield.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 04:08:44 pm »

what about the shaft of enlightenment? does that still work?
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 07:59:47 pm »

Danger rooms don't increase discipline very fast. So even though they might look like tough soldiers, without discipline they might still run away in terror.

Ornstein

• Bay Watcher
  • Glory to the RNG
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 12:03:51 am »

That problem I anticipated very early on in the history of the fortress; and have strategically placed goblin, Animal Man, and other sentient (non) dwarf Skeleton stockpiles after having their flesh stripped to prevent miasma.

This will either train the entire fortress or just traumatize everyone.