Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reclaim tips  (Read 1137 times)

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reclaim tips
« on: August 01, 2014, 02:10:37 am »

I lost a fortress to a series of unfortunate events leading to a tantrum spiral, and want it back.

I've read the wiki page on reclaiming, but just want to know if there's anything I should keep in mind when embarking, and for the first couple of years
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reclaim tips
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 02:14:11 am »

All of the items from the fortress will be evenly distributed throughout the map and forbidden. It'll be tempting to just claim them all, but then your starting seven will spend all of their time hauling items. My suggestion is you make a bookkeeper much earlier than you normally would, set his accuracy to maximum, and strategically reclaim items from the stockpiles list as you need them. Only reclaim everything when you have the dwarfpower to carry it back to its place. Your first priority should be getting any unrotten food back into its stockpile so it doesn't rot.

Good luck!

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 02:23:07 am »

All of the items from the fortress will be evenly distributed throughout the map and forbidden. It'll be tempting to just claim them all, but then your starting seven will spend all of their time hauling items. My suggestion is you make a bookkeeper much earlier than you normally would, set his accuracy to maximum, and strategically reclaim items from the stockpiles list as you need them. Only reclaim everything when you have the dwarfpower to carry it back to its place. Your first priority should be getting any unrotten food back into its stockpile so it doesn't rot.

Good luck!

My biggest problem I think will be burying the children's corpses scattered around the map. These "events" led to the rapid death of well over 100 dwarves, and 50-60% were children
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 05:53:16 am »

Go for slabs, you can collect all the bodies once you have more migrants with nothing useful to do but gather things.

It will probably avoid some of the "Overcome by Terror!" spam too.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 08:39:15 am »

True.  Also, the sight of the corpses will scare the visiting caravans into dropping even more stuff, so you should never go hungry.

Be aware that if you had enemies present when the fort was destroyed, they will still be present on Reclaim if you go directly from one to the other.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Guylock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 07:02:45 pm »

So items still scatter in fortress mode after abandoning or loosing the fort?
I haven't touched fort mode yet, still screwin around with adventure mode. :o

Shadow_Hornet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 07:12:04 pm »

before I was trying to limit the items to being all over the inside of the fort but all I have been able to do is insure that the one place items wouldn't be was inside the fort.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 10:42:33 pm »

It will probably avoid some of the "Overcome by Terror!" spam too.

I got more than my fair share of that. Turns out it raises discipline skill too, my carpenter was terrified of freaking EVERYTHING, every time he walked past the same damn corpse. He's now >competent discipline

So items still scatter in fortress mode after abandoning or loosing the fort?
I haven't touched fort mode yet, still screwin around with adventure mode. :o

Yep, they still scatter. At least I had the heads up on this and built doors on most stockpiles. Although a couple years in, and I'm still picking up the pieces and stockpiling them all.

On that note, I'm finding that most of my stockpiles aren't utilising bins and barrels. Despite a cluttered carpenters workshop full of bins and barrels, my food stockpile is overflowing, with not a single barrel being used (yes, barrels are enabled)