Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Most efficient Uniform Setup  (Read 3390 times)

eli_cash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Most efficient Uniform Setup
« on: July 31, 2014, 07:05:19 pm »

Hi just wondering is there an official "best" setup for a military uniform. Currently I just use this setup
-Metal Helm
-Metal Breastplate
-Metal Gauntlet
-Metal Greaves
-Metal High Boot
-Metal Shield
-Individual Choice Melee
This is my setup for my melee dwarf squads right now with the settings to Replace Clothing and Partial Matches, the main thing I was wondering is is there any leather armor you can wear to supplement this setup or is there a setup that provides better protection overall. Let me know what you use for your Archers as well I'm just trying to see if I can further enhance my Dwarven Supersoldiers.

Edit: Also if I could get any advice on a Candy armor setup as well as I'm just about to commence my first attempt at starting a Candy industry.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 07:07:52 pm by eli_cash »

JonBrant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most efficient Uniform Setup
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 07:48:16 pm »

Don't forget cloaks! The single most important piece of armor, imo
JonBrant has been possessed!
JonBrant claims a computer!
JonBrant has begun a mysterious construction!
JonBrant has completed Kitten Blood Waterfall!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 08:09:50 pm »

Hi just wondering is there an official "best" setup for a military uniform. Currently I just use this setup
-Metal Helm
-Metal Breastplate
-Metal Gauntlet
-Metal Greaves
-Metal High Boot
-Metal Shield
-Individual Choice Melee

You might want to swap the breastplate for a mail shirt, or keep the breastplate and add a mail shirt.  Breastplates do not cover the upper arms.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 08:13:02 pm »

What do cloaks do, exactly? (There isn't anything I could find on the wiki-- I'm guessing maybe they protect from certain attacks perhaps liquids). Is a hood helpful as well?

Edit: Also, my marksdwarfs seem to move slower than my melee dwarfs. Is that because they are wearing plate armor? Or perhaps because I have assigned both a crossbow and war hammer to each of them? After further looking into it I think it's more likely their armor user skill is lower.

I also just read that Mail shirt + High boots provides full leg protection. Does this mean the dwarf won't complain about being naked? Lol. I'm almost surprised you can't make cod pieces for your dwarfs.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 08:21:43 pm by KingKaol »

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 08:38:38 pm »

What do cloaks do, exactly? (There isn't anything I could find on the wiki-- I'm guessing maybe they protect from certain attacks perhaps liquids). Is a hood helpful as well?

Edit: Also, my marksdwarfs seem to move slower than my melee dwarfs. Is that because they are wearing plate armor? Or perhaps because I have assigned both a crossbow and war hammer to each of them? After further looking into it I think it's more likely their armor user skill is lower.

I also just read that Mail shirt + High boots provides full leg protection. Does this mean the dwarf won't complain about being naked? Lol. I'm almost surprised you can't make cod pieces for your dwarfs.

No, that means he won't get the upper leg cut off by the first baby with sharp teeth.
I suggest reading this section of the armor page of the wiki for full details, but in short:
An armor have variable coverage. A lower boot litteraly only cover the foot, but a high boot also cover the lower leg.
A breastplate cover the torso, and only that, while a mail shirt also cover the neck, upper arm, and upper legs.
And some clothes (like robes or desses) cover everything short of hands, head and feets. (I think that dwarves will still wants lower body clothes though.)

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 08:51:34 pm »

Yes just read the armor page. I was looking for cloaks under the 'clothing article' which is less detailed.

eli_cash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 09:30:05 pm »

So it seems if I want to make the most of the initial small amounts of Candy I'm able to mine I should probably prioritize making cloaks or robes for my whole military first for most efficient coverage. To me it just seems kind of cheaty to stack multiple cloaks or other duplicate armor pieces, doesn't seem as !FUN!.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 09:36:14 pm »

Metal Helmet
Leather Cloak
Metal Breastplate
Metal Mail Shirt
Metal Gauntlets
Metal Grieves
Metal High Boots
Any Shield
Metal Spear

Helmets protect most of the face and head.
Cloaks protect the nose and mouth - as an article of CLOTHING, they will decay, so do NOT produce adamantine.
Breastplates protect most of the upper body.
Mail Shirt protects the upper arms and upper legs, as well as the torso.
Gauntlets protect the hands, fingers, and lower arms.
Grieves protect the upper legs.
High Boots protect the lower legs, feet, and toes.
Shields don't matter for material type.
Spears are overall 'best' because they hit larger foes harder, and any weapon will rip through smaller foes when you've got some skill.

xxseuzxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 09:46:08 pm »

for fortress guard or mid level melee squads i always use mail shirts+leather Greaves+high boots  and the usual helm and gauntlets.
breastplates are used with mail shirts once i level their Armour user skill,also using metal greaves and the usual cheap leather cloaks

jcnorris00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 10:19:21 pm »

I know that a shield's material doesn't affect blocking, but I thought that it did affect shield bashes.
My contribution to dwarven science: the dwarven kiddie pool

eli_cash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 10:22:27 pm »

Ahh so Adamantine should only be used on Armor type clothing, I wasn't aware that Adamantine could actually decay. Thanks for the tip.

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 12:53:15 am »

I like to give my Dwarves multiple weapons.  I usually make sure they have at least a hammer, a spear and an axe.  If I have them around, I'll give them a whip and a dagger, too.
It seems like they attack a lot more often with this sort of set up, and I enjoy the mental image of some insane dwarf fumbling around from weapon to weapon during combat.

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 01:07:34 am »

I know that a shield's material doesn't affect blocking, but I thought that it did affect shield bashes.

I tried shield bashing in adventure mod with a copper shield, and...
Armok was pleased.
The new pulping mechanisms makes parts collapses after enough blunt attacks
Also knocking out people seemed easier, or I was lucky.
I was having trouble delivering a killing blow with my iron spear, but I litteraly pulped elf heads into the ground after only a few shield bashes.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 02:58:30 am »

Spears are overall 'best' because they hit larger foes harder, and any weapon will rip through smaller foes when you've got some skill.
Pickaxes should be on par with spears, I think. What they lack in penetration, they make up for with a 2.0x velocity bonus and lack of a weak blunt attack. Plus you can get Legendary Miners very quickly.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Verjigorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 04:21:11 am »

Doesn't metal quality still matter?   I usually embark with a lot of tetrahedrite, for mechanisms, armor and weapons.   Wouldn't a copper spear be crap vs iron or bronze armor? 
Pages: [1] 2