Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drain Tile please  (Read 1589 times)

idgarad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Drain Tile please
« on: July 30, 2014, 03:48:46 pm »

can we get a "floor" that prohibits anything from growing, muddy or otherwise, to line our waterworks without the risk of trees and shrubs clogging things up. I think we can use grates in the meantime but a formal "pipe wall" of some sort would be nice. I think even roads, once wet, will start growing trees again.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 03:53:59 pm by idgarad »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Drain Tile please
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 07:55:17 pm »

I think any kind of hard stone should prevent stuff from growing. We'd need to be able to move dirt for farming first.

I'm fairly certain that paved roads prevent plant growth no matter what. IIRC, they won't even attempt to grow on roads, while they'll appear for a single tick on even non-muddy constructed floors.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 08:18:18 pm »

I think any kind of hard stone should prevent stuff from growing. We'd need to be able to move dirt for farming first.

I'm fairly certain that paved roads prevent plant growth no matter what. IIRC, they won't even attempt to grow on roads, while they'll appear for a single tick on even non-muddy constructed floors.
Yeah I think pavement is supposed to work.
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 09:57:06 pm »

I believe constructed floors work as well, but paved roads are much more efficient to build.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Getix Kain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 01:41:25 am »

Confirming it works.
Even before starting the construction trees and bushes won't grow in an area designated to be paved.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 01:52:57 am »

I believe constructed floors work as well, but paved roads are much more efficient to build.
Even when covered in mud?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 01:54:51 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Getix Kain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 07:19:36 am »

Paved road cannot be covered by mud AFAIK

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 11:46:33 am »

Exploit: Designate a stockpile that stores nothing. You can instantly fill all your waterways with that, and nothing every grows there. Costs nothing, not even dwarven labor or time.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 10:10:37 pm »

Exploit: Designate a stockpile that stores nothing. You can instantly fill all your waterways with that, and nothing every grows there. Costs nothing, not even dwarven labor or time.
what about keyboard durability?

I have to ask though what exactly are you doing where you have water somewhere at some point, then dry? all I ever usually make is a cistern and that's supposed to have water all the time of course
Also I think not having water carry mud by default might alleviate this problem somewhat
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 01:15:46 am »

Paved road cannot be covered by mud AFAIK
I was referring to the constructed floors. I don't believe they prevent plant growth when muddied. (I know for certain you can build farms on them, but I haven't personally checked for plant spawning on constructed tiles.)

I have to ask though what exactly are you doing where you have water somewhere at some point, then dry? all I ever usually make is a cistern and that's supposed to have water all the time of course
I would assume for drowning rooms and emergency drains.
Also I think not having water carry mud by default might alleviate this problem somewhat
At least not for pump-filtered water or water that hasn't touched dirt since moving up a z-level. We should also be able to clean up mud or wash it away.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 01:23:08 am by Bumber »

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 07:12:21 pm »

Constructed floors prohibit growth. They can still get muddy, sure, but nothing can grow on them. So the OP's already covered.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 07:07:29 pm »

Large pipes are also already planned as an alternate use for pipe sections, so once that comes in it'll be even easier. Presumably irrigation will get fixed up somewhere between now and then as well.