Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Chaos in the fort  (Read 2996 times)

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Chaos in the fort
« on: July 29, 2014, 11:53:37 pm »

I'm a year of two in, and already things are a mess!

- My entire fortress is like a small country town, 3/4 of them are related, and if a dwarf has less than 6 siblings, he's doing well
- I have more children than working dwarves
- I have trees collapsing on the surface everywhere
- I think a dwarf was injured sparring (is this something new?)

As you can see, already a bad combo if someone dies.

And now I just realised I'm out of booze!!! I don't know what happened, but those kids drink too damn much! I left 1 dwarf to his own 5*5 plot of plump helmets, and stupidly assumed "he'll be right"... I was wrong. Now I've got no booze, and nothing to brew with.

I'm currently in desperate recovery mode, to try get rid of those flashing blue arrows on every dwarf. I have all hands on deck to make a well (a well from a murky pool will give clean water right?).

I went to make more farms... And HOLY SHIT! How many different things can you grow now! What's the best food to try growing to get some booze out quick?

One dead dwarf, and I'll have a spiral into non existence I think. Thank god I haven't been attacked by goblins yet (touch wood). 

Suggestions are great, but stories of your fort's chaos would also be enjoyed

Update
I'm gonna add to the original chaos right now... things are getting scary.

I was just starting to get production under control, and had some dwarves back on booze, then "a vile force of darkness has arrived"

So next thing I know, I've got 12 angry goblins running towards my fortress. I dispatch all units to take them out, but unfortunately I suffer three losses due to that bastard with the silver bolts flying from his crossbow in the process. Of course, Mr Hammerdwarf wasn't all too happy about: being in the sun; drinking stagnant water; being thirsty; watching his spouse die; and watching one of his children die. This last one probably made him snap, because he ended up running around the fortress punching babies in the head with his tantrums.

Meanwhile, whilst I'm pre-occupied keeping the citizens safe from the goblins, and trying to find a way to subdue the baby-killing psychopath, my hard earned booze was all drunk up.

Even better, my experienced farmer from the first wave seems to be oblivious to the crisis surrounding him, because instead of doing his part and gathering plants, or planting crops, he's taking a bloody break!

I had a caravan just stop by, which I thought, "great! I can buy some booze, buy some food and seeds, and be back on track"... Nope, they decided to leave straight after the liason had a chat to the mayor.

I think my dwarves want to die

It gets worse... one of my brewers decided now is a good time to PARTY!!! Death, misery, and dehydration surround you, and you think this is a good time to throw a party!?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 01:55:04 am by Mimodo »
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

ComatosePhoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chaos in the fort
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 12:05:02 am »

fresh embark, start laying out the fortess, not paying any attention to what I am doing and accidently cause a cave in killing two dwarfs. I figured I was pretty much done for so I set about getting as much work done as I could before the dwarves went crazy, but I guess nobody was really close yet cause I managed to pull through,

that was 2 years ago and I still haven't recieved a wave of migrants. relying on war dogs, cage traps and really tall walls to keep any hostiles out, also 5 dwarves don't eat much.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 12:24:44 am »

My biggest suggestion for you Mimodo would be to update to 40.05, several of the bad things you experienced there were due to bugs that were fixed.

And the sparring thing has been around since the sparring rewrite back in like 31.x, though it's a fairly rare occurrence (it does tend to happen most often when training wrestling though, so be careful with that).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 01:23:13 am »

The caverns often have a water source you could use in an emergency. It also has some dangerous creatures in it...
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 01:16:43 pm »

- I think a dwarf was injured sparring (is this something new?)

Technically not new, but it's going to be WAY more likely in 0.40.x (and especially in 0.40.04 - 0.40.05) due to the sparring = wrestling bug.

When dwarves spar with their weapons (which was the norm in 0.34.x, happened occasionally in 0.40.01 - 0.40.03, and happens not at all in 0.40.04 - 0.40.05), they are perfectly safe.  No weapon hit during sparring will ever cause an injury.  But when sparring dwarves use wrestling moves (which never happened with armed dwarves in 0.34.x, happened a lot in 0.40.01 - 0.40.03, and happens 100% of the time in 0.40.04 - 0.40.05), they can sometimes throw each other.  The throw itself doesn't cause an injury, but when the thrown dwarf lands, he can be injured by the impact with the ground, wall, whatever.

Make sure your sparring dwarves have helms (and probably the rest of their armor too, but the helm is the most important).  It might not be a bad idea to pave the barracks floor with some lightweight wood to soften the landings, but I haven't bothered.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 10:00:21 pm »

Hmmm, maybe because I have no weapons yet is why they were killing each other. His blood was on the wall, which makes sense about hitting something. Also kinda realistic I guess. Ever have play fights as kids that ended badly? I broke my brother's arm play fighting (my bad).

The caverns often have a water source you could use in an emergency. It also has some dangerous creatures in it...
The caverns are scary when your fortress is protected by 3 marksdwarves and 23 children
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 10:49:05 pm »

It might not be a bad idea to pave the barracks floor with some lightweight wood to soften the landings, but I haven't bothered.
The material used in a Construction doesn't make any difference.  Adamantine, Featherwood, and Slade are all treated exactly the same when used for floors, walls, ramps, stairs, and fortifications.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 12:12:45 am »

It might not be a bad idea to pave the barracks floor with some lightweight wood to soften the landings, but I haven't bothered.
The material used in a Construction doesn't make any difference.  Adamantine, Featherwood, and Slade are all treated exactly the same when used for floors, walls, ramps, stairs, and fortifications.

That's it, candy floors for my entire fortress

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 12:26:14 am »

Are you certain? I've seen numerous mentions of soft materials reducing damage from falls.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 01:39:25 am »

I'm gonna add to the original chaos right now... things are getting scary.

I was just starting to get production under control, and had some dwarves back on booze, then "a vile force of darkness has arrived"

So next thing I know, I've got 12 angry goblins running towards my fortress. I dispatch all units to take them out, but unfortunately I suffer three losses due to that bastard with the silver bolts flying from his crossbow in the process. Of course, Mr Hammerdwarf wasn't all too happy about: being in the sun; drinking stagnant water; being thirsty; watching his spouse die; and watching one of his children die. This last one probably made him snap, because he ended up running around the fortress punching babies in the head with his tantrums.

Meanwhile, whilst I'm pre-occupied keeping the citizens safe from the goblins, and trying to find a way to subdue the baby-killing psychopath, my hard earned booze was all drunk up.

Even better, my experienced farmer from the first wave seems to be oblivious to the crisis surrounding him, because instead of doing his part and gathering plants, or planting crops, he's taking a bloody break!

I had a caravan just stop by, which I thought, "great! I can buy some booze, buy some food and seeds, and be back on track"... Nope, they decided to leave straight after the liason had a chat to the mayor.

Edit: It gets worse... one of my brewers decided now is a good time to PARTY!!! Death, misery, and dehydration surround you, and you think this is a good time to throw a party!?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 01:41:35 am by Mimodo »

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 01:52:56 am »

Room with a lever in it.

Lever hooked to the door.
Lever configured so only one dwarf can pull it.

Assuming grumpy dwarf is still partly sane, you can get the dwarf to box himself in.  If that doesn't work out, you can try walling him in, but walling in a walking tantrum may be hard.  Oh, do disarm him (if he goes full berserk and has a weapon in hand, look out).

You sound like your fortress is primed for a tantrum spiral, one thing people sometimes do is make a safety net of a small sub-fort with a farm and some supplies, for a couple sane dwarves to weather out any Fun.
//Torrenal

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 01:55:28 am »

I've never actually had a tantrum spiral, so let's see how this pans out

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 02:17:05 am »

Alright, somebody wants to destroy my fortress... A weregirrafe just came in and killed another 4 dwarves :/

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 03:05:16 am »

Congratulations! You have reached the highest form of enlightenment in Dwarf Fortress. Please claim your prize of !!FUN!!.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Zac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 06:35:54 am »

[...] that was 2 years ago and I still haven't recieved a wave of migrants.

In your DF folder : Data/Init/d_init, add the line [STRICT_POPULATION_CAP:X] replace X by any number you want to cap your population at and migrants will flow to your fort.
Pages: [1] 2