Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changes to farming  (Read 855 times)

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Changes to farming
« on: July 29, 2014, 11:03:24 am »

Okay, so I have several farm plots located 1 z level below the environment. It is now late fall, and the smaller plots have the following available: "Dimple Cups, Quarry Bushes, Cave Wheat, Pig Tails, Plump Helmets." All is well.

BUT, the larger 5x5 farm plot has the following available: "Dimple Cups, Rope Reeds, Quarry Bushes, Cave Wheat, Pig Tails Plump Helmets, Hemp Plants."
Do farm sizes have a relation to the plants they can grow, or is this a bug?

Wait a minute, isn't rope reed a plant that grows above ground?

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Changes to farming
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 11:13:05 am »

It means that a bit of your plot is considered outside. Did you accidentally channel the roof?
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 11:19:35 am »

Oops! I just found it.  Somehow, it did get channeled out. Perhaps a tree fell or something?

Wait, those are UPWARD arrows. They're not downward arrows.  So, why is it considered outside? A bug, I assume?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 11:26:56 am by SimRobert2001 »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 11:33:39 am »

Oops! I just found it.  Somehow, it did get channeled out. Perhaps a tree fell or something?

Wait, those are UPWARD arrows. They're not downward arrows.  So, why is it considered outside? A bug, I assume?
There's a bug in the bugtracker about how a plot that is few tiles in light and few tiles in darkness has all crops accesible. The result is that the crops won't fertilize on ther wrong type of tile, and considering you can only go from dark to light, I suggest either deconstructing the plot and build a new one in darkness, or channeling away everything, build over a floor, and have aboveground crops in a safe haven.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 12:09:33 pm »

There's a bug in the bugtracker about how a plot that is few tiles in light and few tiles in darkness has all crops accesible. The result is that the crops won't fertilize on ther wrong type of tile, and considering you can only go from dark to light, I suggest either deconstructing the plot and build a new one in darkness, or channeling away everything, build over a floor, and have aboveground crops in a safe haven.

The problem is, I don't have ANY tiles that are channeled out. There are none that are channeled out, and none that can feasibly, be exposed to light.

JesDer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 12:43:23 pm »

Trees are the new Carp.

If you examine each tile you will find at least one is considered outside. You likely had a tree branch break the roof. I think there might also be an issue with tree roots but I an not sure... I just know that I no longer put farms in the soil layer of any biome with trees.

When starting a new embark I will make a temp farm in the soil layer just to get stuff up and running while I carve out some waterworks to flood a farming area somewhere safe many Z levels down.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 12:47:31 pm »

The problem is, I don't have ANY tiles that are channeled out. There are none that are channeled out, and none that can feasibly, be exposed to light.

Are you absolutely sure? Prior to v0.40.05, trees could grow through floors. If you had paved over the surface with a road, the road would remain even though the floor was gone. The roads apparently block weather but not sun, making the tile below "Inside Light".

Anyway, you should be able to find which tiles are light using the loo[k] command on your farm plot tiles. Using the same command on the tile directly above will let you know if the tile is listed as "Open Space".

Hamiltonz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 01:12:21 pm »

The roads apparently block weather...

Wait a minute, roads block weather?

Does that mean I can have an above ground well and through dwarven engineering NOT have it freeze solid in the winter?

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 02:54:09 pm »

Are you absolutely sure? Prior to v0.40.05, trees could grow through floors. If you had paved over the surface with a road, the road would remain even though the floor was gone. The roads apparently block weather but not sun, making the tile below "Inside Light".

Anyway, you should be able to find which tiles are light using the loo[k] command on your farm plot tiles. Using the same command on the tile directly above will let you know if the tile is listed as "Open Space".

aye. I downloaded 4.05 TODDAY, and re-genned a world.