Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What is the knowledge in the forums about dealing with aquifers?  (Read 2671 times)

Zorbeltuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've tried starting on aquifers before and found some things that in some cases work, but they are highly dependent on circumstance, so my question is: Is there any reliable way to prepare to eliminate aquifers (is there surefire ways to deal with them, or is there a set of ways that can encompass most if not all circumstances)?

/Zorbeltuss
Kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha, jokainen häviää. / Kaikki jotuvat tappiolle kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha.

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is the knowledge in the forums about dealing with aquifers?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 12:55:02 pm »

Double-slit method is pretty much the most reliable way to dig a hole through an aquifer. And it doesn't care how many layers the aquifer has.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 02:45:14 pm »

I generally cave in non-aquifer plugs to dig through, because it's most fun to me. The most straightforward cave-in method can't handle arbitrarily-deep aquifers, though. If I'm wanting to play a non-aquifer map, I just disable them in the raws by replacing occurrences of [AQUIFER] with {AQUIFER}. 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 02:46:50 pm by Raphite1 »

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 02:48:32 pm »

I generally cave in non-aquifer plugs to dig through, because it's most fun to me. The most straightforward cave-in method can't handle arbitrarily-deep aquifers, though. If I'm wanting to play a non-aquifer map, I just disable them in the raws by replacing occurrences of [AQUIFER] with {AQUIFER}.

The plug method is very simple and quick (just practice safe channeling) but there is a bug where the plug itself sometimes turns into an aquifer after you cave it in.

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 03:06:02 pm »

Had the plug convert on me in my first/only try with a cave-in.  Double-slit works for me, but I find it to be dog slow on account of countless interrupted tasks - it can take me game years to get through more than a couple layers.  Freezing would be faster, but has issues with security (First time I was open to trying it, a siege started just before the freeze...)

I'm actually partial to finding discontinuities in the aquifer (Rock outcrops/ terrain boundaries) as they can involve no special work.
//Torrenal

Starwing

• Bay Watcher
  • It is terrifying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 03:37:46 pm »

I usually just go around aquifers; all those job cancels from pumping are too much time wasting headache for me.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 04:18:49 pm »

I personaly prefer the ice method, but you need a taiga or colder embark for it to be reliable.
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

stool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 04:45:34 pm »

dealing with aquifers can be tedious, especially with more than 1 aquifer layer.
you can build wind mills connected to screwpumps to get rid of the water, without wasting dwarf power.
if you happen to forget the on/off switch, you can build a floortile 1 level above the windmill centertile to stop it.
cavein always works for me, but dont forget to get rid of trees, etc. on the "to-be-dropped" parts, or you will end up with strange artifacts producing caveins.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
edit:image showing a 64*64 drop, ramps are from ponds.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 04:52:48 pm by stool »

Rokh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 05:26:59 pm »

Wait, people actually play with aquifers?

This is madness!
This is a husk of corn of husks of corn. It is encrusted with husks of corn. It is made from husks of corn. This object is adorned with hanging husks of corn. On the item there are images of husks of corn in husks of corn.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 05:42:58 pm »

Oddly enough, I've never had the aquifer-plug convert into an aquifer, even though it happens apparently.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 06:36:17 pm »

about the plug converting, does that only happen when it's connected to the aquifer?  I've had it happen once, when i forgot to mine out a tile of dirt connecting the hole for the plug to go in and the aquifer walls, and I assumed that was why it happened.  has anyone had it happen when the plug isn't connected? (when you have a 1 tile moat between it and the rest of the aquifer)
anyway I would agree with the op that your method is highly dependent on circumstances
double slit is pretty much the last resort for me, because it's usually the slowest option, or the ONLY option.
cave in method is quickest and easiest imo, if the aquifer is shallow enough/you have enough dry layers above it
i'd follow that up with the freezing method as next easiest (if you dont decide you want to get through the aquifer just after the thaw, or it's cold enough that it's frozen year round)

If you have a multi layer dirt aquifer there's basically going to be no quick or easy way to get through it, and you'll have to endure those job cancellations.  (unless you have magma)
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 06:52:53 pm »

I use the cave-in method for a single layer aquifer, and the double-slit method for anything deeper.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 07:07:35 pm »

I use the cave-in method for a single layer aquifer, and the double-slit method for anything deeper.
How do you reliably tell the difference?

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 07:14:45 pm »

if you dig an up/down stair into the first layer, and there's still dirt in the layer below it there's a good chance that it's another aquifer layer.
I don't know of any other method other than trying the cave in and then going double slit from there if it was more than one layer, which does get you through the first layer. 
edit - i guess if you pause before the stairs fill up with water you can see if the layer below is damp. does that work?
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 07:43:51 pm »

How do you reliably tell the difference?

This section of the double-slit method page page talks about it in detail.  I dig an exploratory stairwell a little bit away from where I really want my entrance, carefully single-stepping at the proper time.  You don't need the whole 2x2 shaft for the exploratory stairwell.  It can just be a single Up/Down stairwell.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: [1] 2