Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vampire tips and tricks  (Read 7100 times)

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vampire tips and tricks
« on: July 26, 2014, 09:33:31 pm »

Required reading: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Vampire

Vampires never feel hunger, thirst, or the need to sleep. If you have a huge wave of immigrants, you can temporarily recruit them to military and station them inside an empty 11x11 room, then lock the room. After 1-2 months, non-vampire dwarves will feel hungry or thirsty, so you can remove them from your suspect list.

Vampires do not breathe and do not get the "drowning" status. Setting up a drowning chamber that can be filled and drained quickly is an easy way to check if someone is capable of drowning without killing them (unless you forget to turn it off). Standing in a 4/7 to 6/7 water also rises the swimming skill.

Most of the time, vampires act exactly like any other dwarf. However, when they want to drink blood, nothing can convince them not to (afaik). Labors, active orders, and even (at least in 40.02) burrow settings are ignored when a vampire decides to feed. They do respect the Civilian Alert burrow (the only one that also restricts movement), but can act very erratically none the less.

If a vampire has been without blood for a very long time, they may suck a series of dwarves completely dry, one after another. Otherwise, the victims sometimes survive the feeding.

Vampires are said not to be attacked by the undead; Yet they still flee in terror when they notice one as a civilian.

The only way for non-vampire dwarves of your fortress to acquire vampirism is for them to drink water laced with vampire blood. This is usually done using upright spikes, some plumbing, a well, and a designated drinking zone.

Rumors:
It's been said that vampire and werewolf syndromes are not mutually-exclusive, so you can, in theory, have a vampire who is also a werebeast, though I haven't tried it. Vampires can not turn into werebeasts and werebeasts can not turn into vampires (thanks BlackFlyme)

It's also been said that becoming a vampire doubles the attributes of strength, agility and endurance at the time of transformation. That means that a dwarf that has been through cross-training and already has high attributes would gain much more than a weak dwarf... in theory. Becoming a vampire supposedly locks these attributes afterward. The vampire is still able to get skills as normal.

Example vampire: http://i.imgur.com/cAm1gA0.png

Nothing shown in the profile of a vampire is exclusive to vampires, and vampires are not guaranteed to have any particular feature. Some features can be taken as a cause for suspicion or even as strong evidence though - the wiki has a few paragraphs on those.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 12:11:49 am by Nikita »

Roach

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMOLATE][LIKES_HUGGING]
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire tips and tricks
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 09:58:04 pm »

34.11 here, so I might be deprecated by now, but here's what I know:

The only way for non-vampire dwarves of your fortress to acquire vampirism is for them to drink water laced with vampire blood. This is usually done using upright spikes, some plumbing, a well, and a designated drinking zone.
You don't need a well/plumbing. Spike Urist McSparkly till he bleeds, then have the civilians drink from the pool he was standing in. Use a drinking zone, no well required.

Nothing shown in the profile of a vampire is exclusive to vampires, and vampires are not guaranteed to have any particular feature.
One exception: if Urist does not claim a bed, does not have hunting labours turned on, and is not a baby, he is undoubtedly a vamp! (Exception: if he hasn't been around long enough to need sleep yet, obviously he won't have claimed a bed anyway.)
How do I do it? Prune juice.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 10:01:05 pm »

Will vampirized married couples still have children?

Also, thanks for putting this info in one compact post.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Roach

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMOLATE][LIKES_HUGGING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 10:15:42 pm »

Will vampirized married couples still have children?

No, vamps are sterile.
How do I do it? Prune juice.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 10:19:15 pm »

Here's the sample interaction for vampirism found in the raws.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The following is all assuming that most vampires are close to this base interaction. I understand that there is some variance in the randomly generated vampires.

They are sterile, so unless the tag is not functioning properly, then they won't have kids. Though if they were capable of having children, then the children would be born as normal dwarves, and not vampires like their parents.

One thing about vampires is that when they are drinking blood their teeth will grow in length. To actually see that description you would have to view them as they feed, so it can't be used to find them when they are going about their non-vampire business.

These three tags below will prevent a creature from becoming a vampire if they already are one, if they are a werebeast, or if they have been cursed by a mummy.
Code: [Select]
[IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS:WERECURSE]
[IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS:VAMPCURSE]
[IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS:DISTURBANCE_CURSE]

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 10:36:28 pm »

Interesting. I wonder if werebeast interaction has a similar line, preventing vampires from becoming werebeasts... and other fun things.

UltraMagnus

• Bay Watcher
  • More than meets the eye
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 11:10:49 pm »

Interesting. I wonder if werebeast interaction has a similar line, preventing vampires from becoming werebeasts... and other fun things.
A couple questions before I try to make my militia forces these shadowy denizens:
-Do vampires drink the blood of non-dwarf creatures, such as goblins and/or elves?
-I read on the wiki that vampires will drink the blood of an animal if they must. Would this include hostile war animals?
-Could a vampire attack a dwarf not belonging to the fortress, such as from a caravan?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 11:25:57 pm »

A couple questions before I try to make my militia forces these shadowy denizens:
-Do vampires drink the blood of non-dwarf creatures, such as goblins and/or elves?
-I read on the wiki that vampires will drink the blood of an animal if they must. Would this include hostile war animals?
-Could a vampire attack a dwarf not belonging to the fortress, such as from a caravan?

Assuming behaviour hasn't changed since last version, all feeding requires is that the victim is both non-hostile and asleep or unconscious. Invaders will not be targeted, as the vampire would rather run away from them or bash their heads in.

Yep. Though I don't find werebeasts as interesting, other than the actual beast they turn into.

Forcibly turn every full moon, and can spread their condition through biting. The original werebeasts do not age, though their infected victims still do.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 01:16:44 am »

One of the main issues with vampires is that they eventually slow down due to sobriety enforced by their [NO_DRINK] tag. In the past, I ran a very successful vampire-only fort with around 180 vamps who all had that tag removed by modifying dwarf blood to remove it. Since everyone drank dwarf blood to become a vampire, the [NO_DRINK] tag was also stripped at that time.

It makes a fort ridiculous, because every dwarf becomes extremely strong, friendly to undead units, [NO_EAT], and [NO_SLEEP]. I highly recommend it, but make sure you have a way of avoiding the effects of every job being completed in half the time. My fort eventually suffered a massive tantrum spiral when the entire fort became friends with one another and then one dwarf died of thirst when a mood failed. I tried to recover by chaining malcontents and letting everyone slack off in the dining room with the mist generators on, but two more dwarves went melancholy before I stabilized and they later brought the population down to nineteen or so.

Tragedy training is a must for any fort, especially one where - due to vampiric hyperefficiency - dwarves will have a lot of friends.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

YvAd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 10:17:27 pm »

I'm going to try to make an all-vamp fort on a horrifying biome, and had some questions. On an older thread about vampires, i saw a player saying one way to detect them was to put a zombie behind glass or off a Z level or something and run your dwarves near him- the ones that ran were normal, ones that stayed put were vampires. However, this thread says they will always run unless they're military. Which is it?
In the newest version, vampires deny being vampires. Try face-stabbing instead.

Grip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 11:27:58 pm »

I found an interesting quirk in 0.34.11, but I don't know if it still applies in 0.40.06. Vampires will only hide kills they make after becoming a vamp. So if a dwarf kills a goblin before being cursed, then that goblin will still show up when you check his kill list. Here's the useful part- they don't falsify the year, either. So if you have a dorf that killed a gobbo in 153, but their bio says they were born in 176, you can be certain that he/she is a bloodsucker.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 12:28:02 am »

This is something I figured out with necromancers instead of vampires and in the old vern, but putting them in a danger room fulltime virtually counteracts the effects of the booze slowdown.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 07:00:38 am »

This is something I figured out with necromancers instead of vampires and in the old vern, but putting them in a danger room fulltime virtually counteracts the effects of the booze slowdown.
Huh? How?
Unless being in a danger room somehow magically makes the game think a dwarf drank alcohol, this seems to be rather nonsense
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 12:04:28 pm »

I'm going to try to make an all-vamp fort on a horrifying biome, and had some questions. On an older thread about vampires, i saw a player saying one way to detect them was to put a zombie behind glass or off a Z level or something and run your dwarves near him- the ones that ran were normal, ones that stayed put were vampires. However, this thread says they will always run unless they're military. Which is it?

In which version?  In 0.34, all on-duty military will try to attack it, and all civilians will flee.  It's totally predictable.

In 0.40, nothing is that clearly defined.  Military may flee or stand their ground depending on their personal bravery and their Discipline skill.  Civilians are far more likely to flee, but I've had civilian dwarves charge in and fight until they literally died of dehydration.  Granted, that was several bug-fix releases ago.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

yxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 12:05:14 pm »

all feeding requires is that the victim is both non-hostile and asleep or unconscious.

I got this question, If I stare at the bedrooms sections like forever ;)... would I see the vamp dwarf go to another room and feed from an sleeping one ??
or it just magical "happens" until, someone its found dead or the act as seen by someone ?
Pages: [1] 2