Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Interesting/Intriguing/Cool Things/Facts You Learned Today!  (Read 3555 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile

Interesting/Intriguing/Cool Things/Facts You Learned Today!

Post them, and let others be enlightened and share in your little tidbits of knowledge!

I'll start with an incredibly boring and useless fact that I just found today, and it interested me. Apparently, the section of the 401 that runs through Toronto is the busiest highway in the world with over 500,000 cars on it some days and an average daily traffic of 450,000. It sure feels like it some days.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting/Intriguing/Cool Things/Facts You Learned Today!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 09:18:50 pm »

Today I learnt that Stephen Colbert isn't the new Captain America. Shame, really.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 09:21:04 pm »

Today I learnt that Stephen Colbert isn't the new Captain America. Shame, really.

Captain America died/retired AGAIN!?!

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 01:29:57 am »

The "Property of US Government, commercial resale prohibited." label on US military rations (MREs) means absolutely nothing, as I just bought two today. My uncle had a ton of them, I was always quite suspicious of where he got them >.>
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 01:31:13 am »

The "Property of US Government, commercial resale prohibited." label on US military rations (MREs) means absolutely nothing, as I just bought two today. My uncle had a ton of them, I was always quite suspicious of where he got them >.>

Sure that it wasn't military surplus?

Though you will have to tell me how Rations are.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 01:39:33 am »

I don't think they're surplus. They seem freshly... manufactured.

I'll get back to you about the taste. Bought two of them for me and my gf if we end up getting hungry on a trip to arse-nowhere in a few days. On the menu: Meatballs in Marinara and Chicken Pesto Pasta.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 02:18:17 am »

I don't think they're surplus. They seem freshly... manufactured.

I'll get back to you about the taste. Bought two of them for me and my gf if we end up getting hungry on a trip to arse-nowhere in a few days. On the menu: Meatballs in Marinara and Chicken Pesto Pasta.

Don't more modern ones have portable heat sources for cooking them? If they do they seem incredibly handy.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 03:09:02 am »

Captain America died/retired AGAIN!?!

I don't keep up on comics but I read a news story about it. The old Captain America finally got old and is retired. The new one is an African American who is the lone survivor of what sounded to be cruel experiments by the US government. Gets my approval for being African American but I have a feeling the old Captain America will get better and the new one will take a new name because that happens in comics.

The odd thing was they transferred Thor's powers to a female character. I don't get that one. It seems like it would have made more sense to create a strong female hero based on one of the female Norse gods, there is at least one suitably related to heroic violence in the huntress goddess that I forget the name of. Skadi or something? Ah well, not a big deal if ladies want to be represented by the Norse god associated with mighty testicles.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 03:18:28 am »

The odd thing was they transferred Thor's powers to a female character

Again!?!

Dear goodness Thor, you really know how to get your powers around. This is what? The 6th person who you have through some means bestowed with your powers?

I don't get that one.

It is so they can have a female Thor... To add to the two other female thors.

Gets my approval for being African American but I have a feeling the old Captain America will get better and the new one will take a new name because that happens in comics

It tends to happen in these situations. Since not only are they replacing Captain America with someone who isn't Captain America (something they tried... to my knowledge three times before... and Bucky being the new Captain America lasted quite some time before he fully lost it), but to also change his race... it pretty much sealed the deal.

Besides I don't think anyone with that kind of backstory can REALLY be a Captain America anyhow... Why does Marvel keep doing the "America is DEAD" plotline? People LIKE that Captain America is a positive outlook on America even today where you get nothing but "America sucks, America is evil". I mean unless the experiments didn't do much to his personality and he "always hung on" or something.

---

Still WOW is Marvel recycling plotlines.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 03:20:20 am by Neonivek »

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 06:17:44 pm »

Re: Military Ration:

Main Menu Item: Chicken Pesto Pasta
I accidentally overfilled the chemical heater pouch, so after nearly burning my fingers off I was able to drain it to proper levels. The pasta was decent - it obviously tasted packaged but the flavors were good, pasta wasn't mush.

Side Item: Mango Peach Applesauce
Tasted just like the stuff you can get in pouches and small cups at the store. Yum.

Dessert Item: Chocolate Pudding
Came in powder form, just add water. Tasted like hot chocolate, consistency of thin pudding (mostly due to a large amount of clumping leaving undissolved powder).

Drink Item: 'Orange Beverage Base Powder'
Orange kool-aid basically. Fortified with vitamins n' minerals like everything else.

Snack Item: Bacon Cheese Spread and Wheat Snack Bread
Oh god the humanity
GF asked 'How bad can it be?' as she tore open the squeeze tube.
Answer: More terrible than your worst nightmares. Imagine your average cheese spread stuff, then make it worse, add very fake bacon taste.
I asked my friend in the Marine Corps, and he confirmed that nobody ever touches that stuff.

Overall: For $10 USD, I don't think you can get a much more nutritious and decent-tasting long-life food. I now understand why my uncle keeps a few boxes of MREs in his emergency supply tubs than canned & dehydrated food like most people.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 05:34:09 am »

use of the word succubi peaked massively around 1925
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 10:35:56 am »

Remember MRE: Meals Refused by Everyone
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 10:39:09 am »

Remember MRE: Meals Refused by Everyone

Alternatively, Meals Refused by the Enemy.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 10:10:44 pm »

So, I found out that anything written in ballad meter can be sung to the tune of anything else written in ballad meter.

In practice, you can sing the Pokémon theme to the tune of the Gilligan's Island theme.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 11:53:21 pm »

cosmos presented by neil degrasse tyson is on netflix. its only going to take till 3am to finish that next episode...
Pages: [1] 2