Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Squemish Doctors  (Read 4811 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Squemish Doctors
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 06:07:20 am »

I don't know of a single real world doctor that would be up for performing surgery with a rotting human corpse decaying in their operating room. Not one.

Operate on a decomposing rotten corpse? That's exactly what the doctors of the forensic institute have to do now to bodies of the crash victims flown in from Ukraine.
I don't envy them for one bit, poor sods.
I hope they know, to drink milk before they start.
It surspresses the sensation of smell for decomposing organic matter (something to do with milk affecting your mucous membranes), and odours that are released when cutting through a mammal's peritoneum.
At least that is what I was taught when I needed to cut open various animals, when studying biology at university.
Unfortunatly it does not work for me since I'm lactose intolerant. Can't drink milk :P

You could try modding milk to give a temporary [NO_FEAR] flag maybe. Getting your dwarfs to drink it would be hard.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 06:40:19 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 07:58:14 am »

Getting your dwarfs to drink it would be hard.
Yeah. Especially since that milk is considered food.  :P
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2014, 08:04:18 am »

Go the dwarven way and have it so cow meat can be brewed into "milk".
Why?
Logic is for cowards.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 08:14:38 am »

If you're gonna do that, you may as well make the actual milk brewable instead of meat.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2014, 09:52:10 am »

You could try modding milk to give a temporary [NO_FEAR] flag maybe. Getting your dwarfs to drink it would be hard.
I guess modding booze to do that would be too easy.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

JonathanCR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2014, 11:09:37 am »

I don't know of a single real world doctor that would be up for performing surgery with a rotting human corpse decaying in their operating room. Not one.

True - but would they deal with this situation by running away screaming and leaving the patient to fester next to the corpse? That's the problem here.

Perhaps the ideal solution, or part of it, would be for the medical dwarfs to be able to waylay other dwarfs and order them to clean the place up. I don't know if dwarfs giving orders to other dwarfs is a Thing - no doubt it is, or will be, or people have called for it - but without it, modelling complex systems such as the healthcare system is always going to be very rough.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2014, 11:27:23 am »

I think a typical response to there being a rotting corpse in the operating room would be to call both 911 and the janitors.
Or throwing it in the biohazard bin and ignoring it.
I'd do the latter because reasons.

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING] [CAFFEINE _DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2014, 11:55:33 am »

So, you've a mess in your hospital, and your doctor cannot operate on the wounded because there's a corpse nearby. Mark the corpse for dumping so it's out of the way and unforbid it once it's moved. Surely there's more than the doctor surviving? Someone in there ought to be able to stomach moving the corpse.

React, adapt. If these wounded were the results of a werebeast attack, I fear that you won't have to worry about the wounded for long.

Exactly its difficult to tell who  was hurt by what since the siege was being fought off at the same time a werebeast appeared in my fort i already had one patient who had her torn head an lower body healed and her shoulder set. right after that and making her a splint she got up and went back to work. Then she became a werebeat and i had to put her down anyway. I of course didn't notice she bit someone else before dying. then the siege came.

I had never seen a wrebeast before this release in non human form. I had no idea they constantly changed and infected others. This game man. Every time i play it i fall in love all over again. I would have locked her up to starve if i had known.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 11:58:12 am by Proudnerd »
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2014, 12:20:16 pm »

If you think "tramuatizing" your surgeons so they do their jobs is a more realistic approach to get your medics to actually ignore corpses and getting on with saving who you can  I'm not sure what to say

Sounds like a pretty reasonable description of medieval medicine.  Between the cutting up live animals and the corpse-robbing to get human cadavers which you then experimented on, the process seems rather dwarfy.  You could even make an argument that the modern "internship" process is a specific attempt to give doctors the real-world equivalent of "doesn't care about anything anymore". 

Remember that before reliable anesthesia, surgery was pretty horrific even at the skilled and scientific level.  Then you kick it up a notch for battlefield surgery, and another for having all the extra rotting dead bodies about. 

From a DF standpoint, having some "combat haulers" to get people to the hospital and get corpses out of the hospital seems to be a good idea these days.  Additionally, if you've got a hospital properly set to handle various sorts of unusual contaminants, it should also help compartmentalize the miasma in a pinch.  I agree that practice with the medical skills should also train discipline skill; has anyone done testing on this? 

Does discipline skill decay?  This will affect how much "continuing training" may be needed. 

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2014, 12:37:43 pm »

I recently submitted this as a suggestion in the suggestions forum. Just so you know
Everything's in the news today

Kumquat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2014, 03:03:45 pm »

Well back in the 13th century which I suppose DF is supposed to be approximately based on, most surgeons and dentists were actually barbers. They had the experience of doing delicate work with very sharp knives. Although some people claim that quite a few were also torturers, experts on just how and where to cut people without making them die.

Cutting up cadavers did not really come into the picture until a few centuries later. Even then it was done generally in secret since church did not like it at all.

On another point, medieval people should be much more accustomed to seeing blood and death around with butchery being more or less daily or at least weekly business at a farm, though in DF butchery seems to be just pressing the magic button that makes an animal fall apart into neat stacks of meat and bones.

Darinby

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2014, 08:25:08 pm »

On another point, medieval people should be much more accustomed to seeing blood and death around with butchery being more or less daily or at least weekly business at a farm, though in DF butchery seems to be just pressing the magic button that makes an animal fall apart into neat stacks of meat and bones.

So Butchery/Hunting/Tanning should train discipline as well.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 08:27:14 pm by Darinby »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2014, 01:10:45 am »

ToadyOne had stated the fuzzy cut off point to be circa 14th century Europe.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2014, 01:13:23 am »

So Butchery/Hunting/Tanning should train discipline as well.
Not necessarily. It makes more sense for Doctors as they dealing with other Dorfs. Where as Hunters and Butchers aren't dealing with other other Dorfs. So while some Dorfs probably do get squeamish over dead animals (if not now, then most probably in the future), there a certain assumed degree of detachment.

In the OP example, that Dorf probably knows the rotting corpse beside the other person, and also probably knows the person they're trying to operate on. Hugely different than hunting and butchering. 
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2014, 02:32:55 am »

ToadyOne had stated the fuzzy cut off point to be circa 14th century Europe.

Some 100 millions dead from plague, ravaging wars, depopulated cities and villages, great famines (including The Great Famine), first emergence of werewolves... And start of development of real deep mines. Seems about right.
Pages: 1 [2] 3