Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No seeds available for this region, and more.  (Read 531 times)

PocheHuilée

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
No seeds available for this region, and more.
« on: July 26, 2014, 06:55:36 pm »

I really love Aboveground farming and always plan around it. However, this time I was surprised with the following message : No seeds available for this region. I have plenty of seeds for various aboveground plants and vegetables, from caravans or gathered around the fort. It is possible that not all of them made seeds yet, as the new crops are poorly documented and I do not know what to do with most of them. It seems some can only be cooked, which logically would yield no seeds.

On another topic, my marksdwarves seem to neglect training. Every now and then I see a dude take a couple of shots at the archery target, but most of them hang in the meeting hall with "no orders".

I have plenty of quivers, crossbows, archery targets and ammo. They are set to train at several archery targets.

Additionally, my farmer workshops are not creating any seeds. I heard there is an easy fix. What is it?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 07:02:29 pm by PocheHuilée »

stinkasectomy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No seeds available for this region, and more.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 07:51:04 am »

what region did you embark on? since 40.01, crops can only be planted on biomes they can grow on naturally. so in addition to mountains, glaciers, tundra and oceans which can have nothing ever, you cant grow, say, blackberries in a scorching desert. i believe all of the old, fantasy plants can be grown anywhere other than the four above biomes (not sure about whip vines, sunshine and sliver barbs on non savage/good/evil areas).

on top of that, apparently it is possible to get some seeds for trees, which aren't plant-able (there was somebody who had pear seeds).

generally with the real world plants, if you haven't harvested them with plant gather, you can't plant them

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 09:33:53 am »

what region did you embark on? since 40.01, crops can only be planted on biomes they can grow on naturally.

That was also true in older versions (at least 0.34.11 for sure, but I don't know how far back it goes).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

PocheHuilée

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 03:14:12 pm »

Well the point is moot now, since my fortress succumbed to a tantrum spiral after one of the starting 7 died.

I did gather a lot of plants around, but maybe they had no methods of generating seeds. Is the embark zone split into several biomes? Maybe my farm was not located in the right place. I was in a half-mountain, half-forest place.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 06:09:45 pm »

Is the embark zone split into several biomes?

It can be.  Totally depends on where you embark.  You can cycle through the biomes in the pre-embark screen by pressing F1, F2, F3, etc.  Once you've embarked, that information is no longer readily available, but you can sometimes see a clear boundary between biomes.  (There may be snow in one but not in another around one of the season boundaries, or there may be trees & shrubs in one but not the other, or the soil type may change, etc.)

A mountain biome cannot grow any plants, and that includes farm plots.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

PocheHuilée

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 08:19:33 pm »

Is the embark zone split into several biomes?

It can be.  Totally depends on where you embark.  You can cycle through the biomes in the pre-embark screen by pressing F1, F2, F3, etc.  Once you've embarked, that information is no longer readily available, but you can sometimes see a clear boundary between biomes.  (There may be snow in one but not in another around one of the season boundaries, or there may be trees & shrubs in one but not the other, or the soil type may change, etc.)

A mountain biome cannot grow any plants, and that includes farm plots.

So if I moved my farm over to the next biome, it could accept seeds?

stinkasectomy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 09:54:22 pm »

should do, yes.

some biomes have clear differences (sand deserts will be sandy, mountains won't have trees etc) but things like forest/marsh boundaries can be harder

the most reliable way in my opinion is to look at soil type at the top layer. biomes almost always, if not always have different soil type to surrounding biomes

a few 1x1 dirt roads (b)uild- dirt r(O)ad - will make furrowed soil (or will show sand which can't be furrowed)

or if its not safe a little exploratory digging