Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: X has bestowed the name Y upon Z!  (Read 2924 times)

lwCoyote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
X has bestowed the name Y upon Z!
« on: July 26, 2014, 12:04:55 am »

If a military dwarf names a weapon, does it gain any bonuses?
This is an exceptional obsidian statue of Daral Darkscab.
The item is an exceptionally designed image of Daral Darkscab the dwarf and a slag bar (massive) in obsidian by Ksoth Lolorumril. Daral Darkscab is raising the slag bar (massive). The artwork relates to the masterful slag bar (massive) created by the dwarf Daral Darkscab for the Corridor of Matyrs at Monstergores in the late spring of 312.

I'm so glad my masons have chosen to memorialize the really important events.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: X has bestowed the name Y upon Z!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 12:08:42 am »

If a military dwarf names a weapon, does it gain any bonuses?
Nope.
Or well, it does get recorded into history more effectively, I think.
Which could count as a bonus if only just to legends mode.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 01:25:21 am »

I think in some talk, Toady mentioned he kinda wanted magical artifacts to happen this way - through someone naming them, using them a lot and so on - but not in a planned and consistent way so that you don't get 10 magical axes just from having a squad go around killing things for years. It probably won't be implemented for a long time though, if at all

lwCoyote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 01:32:29 am »

I think in some talk, Toady mentioned he kinda wanted magical artifacts to happen this way - through someone naming them, using them a lot and so on - but not in a planned and consistent way so that you don't get 10 magical axes just from having a squad go around killing things for years. It probably won't be implemented for a long time though, if at all

After posting this, it occured to me to check the wiki; its a bit vague, so I'm going to assume it doesn't get any bonuses.

Unfortunately, the  guy wielding it died in an unfortunate and frustrating incident; poisoned by a friendly basilisk (masterwork mod) while fighting a were-ape, and he died from rotting to death. I've got him buried in a nice, high quality casket but none of my haulers will move the named sword to a stockpile :\
This is an exceptional obsidian statue of Daral Darkscab.
The item is an exceptionally designed image of Daral Darkscab the dwarf and a slag bar (massive) in obsidian by Ksoth Lolorumril. Daral Darkscab is raising the slag bar (massive). The artwork relates to the masterful slag bar (massive) created by the dwarf Daral Darkscab for the Corridor of Matyrs at Monstergores in the late spring of 312.

I'm so glad my masons have chosen to memorialize the really important events.

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 03:30:20 am »

Note that named weapons can be somewhat annoying in fortress mode because the dwarf that named them will insist on using only this weapon henceforth. So if he really likes his wooden training axe, he will not switch it out for one of the nice new masterwork steel battle axes you made.
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 03:50:09 am »

It's much more badass to slaughter goblins with a training axe than it is a shiny steel one.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 04:10:03 am »

Naming weapons seems to occur much faster in df2014. Most notably, the time in between "has grown attached to" and "has bestowed the name Y upon Z" seems to have gone down to near zero.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 09:20:44 am »

Note that named weapons can be somewhat annoying in fortress mode because the dwarf that named them will insist on using only this weapon henceforth. So if he really likes his wooden training axe, he will not switch it out for one of the nice new masterwork steel battle axes you made.

Is it not possible to mark the weapon to 'D'ump and let the haulers take it away?
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 09:30:02 am »

Is it not possible to mark the weapon to 'D'ump and let the haulers take it away?
It is impossible, because named weapons are considered to be a type of Artifact, and artifacts cannot be dumped.

You can, however, make him unequip it, Forbid it once it's on the floor (so he can't pick it up again), then order him to equip a new weapon.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 04:21:37 am »

The simple way to resolve this is to make him use a specific weapon, i.e. m-e-V, remove the weapon, and add a 'specific weapon' to his uniform. The other simple way is to set the uniform to "metal weapon" (or steel weapon or whatever is appropriate) and turn on "Exact (m)atches" (remember to (re)-assign the uniform). If you're attached to using "individual choice" then use Quietust's suggestion.
Weapon attachment will override a dwarf's "good sense" to the extent that the uniform has the wiggle room, but attachment wont override cold hard orders on what kind of equipment they must use.
AFAIK there is no bad thought which comes from forcing a dwarf to relinquish an item they are attached to.
It should also be noted that manual item assignment such as "specific weapon" is the only way to get a dwarf to equip an artifact weapon or armor piece, so it is a good technique to be familiar with.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 04:23:53 am by Panando »
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 07:15:26 am »

AFAIK there is no bad thought which comes from forcing a dwarf to relinquish an item they are attached to.
Don't think there is, either.

It would be awesome though, if named weapons gained sentience, and when not in use, have a chance to become angry with that and attack someone as an animated weapon,
or posess a dwarf wielding it, when it did not get kills for a while.
Sould edge, must drink souls.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 07:21:01 pm »

It would be awesome though, if named weapons gained sentience, and when not in use, have a chance to become angry with that and attack someone as an animated weapon,
or possess a dwarf wielding it, when it did not get kills for a while.
Should edge, must drink souls.

Bob, the *applewood training spear* has been unhappy lately, he was blocked by a pigtail cloak lately, he was dodged lately, he struck Urist in the chest bruising the fat through the cat leather shirt lately. He has been unsatisfied at work lately, he was left in a stockpile lately. Bob likes apples, permission and cats for their aloofness. Like many of his people he values craftdwarfship and admires people who develope skill in a trade. He dreams of slaying a goblin in single combat.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 01:24:32 pm »

or posess a dwarf wielding it, when it did not get kills for a while.
Sould edge, must drink souls.
Wouldn't exactly make sense, in the current iteration, as just "naming" a weapon wouldn't imply that it's being imbued with anything besides fame...