Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: [IC Thread] Kurchil's Children - Day 1 - Introduction  (Read 17394 times)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
Re: [IC Thread] Kurchil's Children - Day 1 - Introduction
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2014, 10:18:00 pm »

"Though we haven't managed to find a bookstore, at the very least we didn't get lost on our way to the hut." Varkhal remarked as he arrived at the location, stopping several feet away from the hut. After a few moments standing around awkwardly and trying to think of a way of calling the healer's attention without sounding rude, the young man opted to do exactly what he was doing - wait - for a while more and then move on to calling before taking noisier measures, such as clapping his hands.

Wait around to see whether the healer appears. In case she doesn't, try to call her in order to ascertain whether she's around.
No traffic came or went from the front of the healer's Varkhal attempted knocking on the door, but again without response. He paced briefly, and as time passed his path got longer. As his strides lengthened he rounded to corner of the house, to see a young woman working in the garden. He felt ridiculous for not having checked there originally, and stopped a moment to collect himself before speaking to her. He needn't have worried though, him working himself up to pacing around had only cost a couple of minutes; Sophia was still gladly dancing around with her sword, unaware of her companion's troubles finding the woman.

"Hi, I just arrived"
"Well welcome to Seawall. I must thank you for your efforts; not many of the newer faces join in when things like that happen. I'm Jaren, and I help coordinate response efforts to these sorts of problems. I hope you weren't hurt in the fire!" He looked her over with a concerned flashing over his handsome features, as though he had just realized that she might need help, and talking to him was not a mere social call.

"Perhaps you can arrange a meeting for yourself, then, and make some money to spend on whiskey or whatever else catches your fancy. As for me, I will be leaving."

Leave. Defensive protocols outlined previously still in effect. Continue job search. Expand query to guard duty.
The woman let Asithi leave without interruption this time, returning to begging. As she left she came upon a place marked as giving out loans, and walked inside to find a fat man sitting behind a desk with a burly man wielding a club standing next to him.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2014, 11:07:27 pm »

"Excuse me, miss." Varkhal said politely, trying to call the young woman's attention to him instead of having her notice his presence and think he could be sneaking on her. "I heard you were having trouble with vermin. I am Varkhal and-" he waved back, towards the energetic Aethen. "-this is Sofia. I thought we could be of assistance in these matters." He rested the butt of his spear against the ground, since it was easier to support it that way when he was standing still.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2014, 11:56:00 pm »

"No no, I'm fine, I just came to introduce myself and offer some help ... I have some small magics"
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 04:18:09 am by wolfchild »
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2014, 01:58:02 am »

"Hi, I'm Asithi Esseth, and I was wondering if there were job opportunities to be had around here, sir! I'm a people person, carry two weapons and tend to be trusted by people I meet. Would you have any openings?"

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2014, 04:09:13 am »

Cara wandered about in the port-area where the population was quite quaint, or in the least populated enough to fancy the sights. Vendors everywhere, she was glad to see many people everyday--a spice of life she savored as she watched and observed how they interacted. They were pretty amusing.

She looked at the drawstring pouch tagged to the rope of her pants and tapped the coinage inside it. Her savings was pretty meager for a person of her state, but most of it was to support her parents. She wondered if there was anything she could buy for an 'adventure', or possibly even a gift?

Deciding to hear out the local folk, she moved around.

Listen in for any possible information regarding prices of travel between nearby ports//within same-island transport and local rumors that seem to be popular enough for mention.

If possible, try to recall any acquaintances I know of beforehand in the area.

Spoiler: Cara Penrose (click to show/hide)

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2014, 09:39:08 am »

Will nods, and heads back into the courtyard, continuing to watch the two recruits spar. Will watches carefully, trying to analyze the fight, trying to observe how the two recruits fight. After they are done sparring, Will heads out into town, going for a walk, to try and learn about this new town.

Watch the two recruits sparring, if they are still out there, and try to see if I can learn anything from them. After that, go for a walk to learn the layout of Seawall.

Spoiler: Will Bayler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Abilities (click to show/hide)
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2014, 01:35:30 pm »

"Excuse me, miss." Varkhal said politely, trying to call the young woman's attention to him instead of having her notice his presence and think he could be sneaking on her. "I heard you were having trouble with vermin. I am Varkhal and-" he waved back, towards the energetic Aethen. "-this is Sofia. I thought we could be of assistance in these matters." He rested the butt of his spear against the ground, since it was easier to support it that way when he was standing still.
She looked at his spear and Sofia's sword. "I suppose you may be able to help. There are giant moles that are digging tunnels beneath my garden and eating my plants. The tunnels are large enough you can stand in them, and the moles are quite large as well. They are not actually as dangerous as that might sound; despite approaching the size of a bear their claws aren't terribly long and they have no teeth. If you could get into their tunnels and follow them to the nest, you could stop them from destroying my garden. It's important for the work I do as a healer."

"No no, I'm fine, I just came to introduce myself and offer some help ... I have some small magics"
"Magic you say? I hope it's not pyromancy! We've had quite enough of that this morning!" Some nearby workers chuckled quite  loudly at this. Jaren quickly became serious again, however, interested in the prospect of magical help. "I'm glad to hear you are well. So tell me, how can you help? "

"Hi, I'm Asithi Esseth, and I was wondering if there were job opportunities to be had around here, sir! I'm a people person, carry two weapons and tend to be trusted by people I meet. Would you have any openings?"             
The fat man looked her over slowly, a sneer on his face. No matter what faults he saw in her, they had to be less disgusting than the thick black hairs protruding from his pale skin. "I'll tell you what! I do have some work for you. There's some fishers by the docks, every evening. Group of eleven. Tell them they owe Borl money, and you came to collect it." He chuckled at this. The fat man seemed to think it was funny; his bodyguard didn't seem to think at all, simply nodding along at the humor of his boss.

Listen in for any possible information regarding prices of travel between nearby ports//within same-island transport and local rumors that seem to be popular enough for mention.

If possible, try to recall any acquaintances I know of beforehand in the area.

Cara walked casually between a number of different conversations, collecting what tidbits she could.

Quote from: Captains Conversing
Bald Captain: "I'll be heading to Arclow tonight. Have some perishables, so I'll be needing calm water; can't delay this trip or I'll lose the contract."
Fidgety Captain: "I've got me a weather witch. She says tonight's a good night for sailing. Tomorrow might be rough though. Are you sure you wanna risk getting stuck there?.."
Bald Captain: "Bah. Superstitious are you? Folk there ain't done anything 'cept pay me honestly. More than you can expect from them on the mainland; they'll rob you as soon as pay you."
Fidgety Captain: "I'm just saying I wouldn't want to stay on an island of cannibals. I'd rather make my rounds between here, Aetharbor, and Depfant."
Bald Captain: "They aren't drownin' CANNIBALS! Did you hear a word I said?! I'm bringing them food, vegetables all of it. You drownin' idiot, just cause they keep to themselves doesn't mean they eat people."

Quote from: Scholars Speaking
Bearded Scholar: "I've heard the phenomena with the Iseayan wildlife are becoming more frequent and dangerous."
Spectacled Scholar: "It's hard to determine. The activity of the fauna there has been known to fluctuate dramatically, and without any clear events precipitating the change. It seems to me the dynamics of that forest are impossible to guys at, and only direct observation would clarify the issue."

Quote from: Tourists Talking
Wealthy Tourist: "I was able to get from Glowcoast to here for only fifteen coppers, and the captain is about to make a return trip if you're headed that way."
Warty Tourist: "Nah, I've heard that island is mostly industry, I'd rather go to the mainland, and I got a ride for ten coppers from a captain, if I'll tolerate a stop at Arclow for the night."
Wealthy Tourist: "I wouldn't say it's all industry. There are some real gems, of several sorts,  if you venture away from the ports."Warty Tourist: "You don't say..."

Quote from: Intellectuals Interlocuting
  Tall Intellectual: "There's some great books here on geomancy." 
Colorfully-Dressed Intellectual: "Yeah, I've heard there's a lot of information that gets exchanged between here and the mining communities. Good to see this place making money off of its intellectuals, that can be hard to do."

Cara didn't recognize any if the speakers; her family's acquaintances tended to travel a lot, and she guessed there weren't many in town.
My Area

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2014, 02:54:14 pm »

Varkhal listened to the short explanation with absolute focus. "Tell me, do those moles attack people or do they only seem interested in eating plants?" He wondered whether they could use Sofia to achieve a peaceful resolution of the problem - Aethen were famed for being able to deal well with animals and if she did well, no blood would need to be shed.

The rookie adventurer's surprise at the confirmation the healer was a young woman was shown though a slight movement of his brow, part of the blow softened by the fact that when he saw her working on the garden he began to suspect that was the case. Most of the people who worked with herbs were elderly, experienced men and women, though it made sense if she was taught by someone else.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2014, 04:01:20 pm »

Asithi giggles softly, a laugh she perfected at an early age along with her fellow girls in the tribe. It sounds so natural, in fact, that you couldn't tell it apart from a real soft giggle.

"Understood, sir. Anything else, perhaps?"

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2014, 04:27:25 pm »

Varkhal listened to the short explanation with absolute focus. "Tell me, do those moles attack people or do they only seem interested in eating plants?" He wondered whether they could use Sofia to achieve a peaceful resolution of the problem - Aethen were famed for being able to deal well with animals and if she did well, no blood would need to be shed.

The rookie adventurer's surprise at the confirmation the healer was a young woman was shown though a slight movement of his brow, part of the blow softened by the fact that when he saw her working on the garden he began to suspect that was the case. Most of the people who worked with herbs were elderly, experienced men and women, though it made sense if she was taught by someone else.
"No, they've left people be for the most part. I mean, I think if you gave one a hug it would probably get unfriendly pretty quickly. But they only eat plants unless you really go after them." She saw his look of surprise and gave a small sigh. She seemed to have gotten these looks a lot. "I was the previous healer's daughter. My father had me in the garden from an early age. When you're young you pick up on a lot quickly, and what I don't know off the top of my head I have in books he's left me. So no, I'm not to young to know what plant to give you for your sniffles."

Asithi giggles softly, a laugh she perfected at an early age along with her fellow girls in the tribe. It sounds so natural, in fact, that you couldn't tell it apart from a real soft giggle.

"Understood, sir. Anything else, perhaps?"
He looked taken aback that she hadn't left yet. "Well, erm, I suppose if that goes well you could, uh, visit the Hairy Bear. They're near here. Every so often they host visitors with more than a bit of contraband, and I keep it safe for 'em. Recently they haven't paid their dues for that; they know I don't have any items at the moment. But the dues are owed whether or not the service is used. Perhaps you could convince them of that?"
My Area

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2014, 04:35:50 pm »

"Perhaps I could indeed. Your name would be Borl, yes? Do you have a more official name, sir?"

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2014, 04:38:13 pm »

"Perhaps I could indeed. Your name would be Borl, yes? Do you have a more official name, sir?"
At this he snapped. "You won't be needing anything more than Borl and if you ask questions like that my brother here will have to take care of you. This part of town, you're always on a first name business. Or whatever name they give you first. Asking questions like that'll get you killed. Now get out of here before I decide to get a head start on that."
My Area

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2014, 04:41:34 pm »

"Very well, sir. I will attend to the aforementioned business with due diligence!" Asithi says excitedly. Death threats were quite interesting to her in many ways, oh yes.

If it's evening, go look for the sailors. If not, go to the Hairy Bear and look for the people I'm probably supposed to be looking for.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2014, 04:48:37 pm »

"You got very close to what I had in mind. Am I that easy to read?" Varkhal asked, keeping his smile while scratching his right cheek. "I actually thought that was the case, to be sincere. Herbalism is usually taught to one's children and I'm not one to doubt you've been taught well, judging by the fact I've been told your work is important for the people who live here. I'd also accept your plant if I had the sniffles."

He just wanted to avoid a line of conversation that took to the former healer's - her father's - fate, since he was presumably dead. "Any holes left by the moles close by?"
>Yes?

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2014, 04:56:07 pm »

"You got very close to what I had in mind. Am I that easy to read?" Varkhal asked, keeping his smile while scratching his right cheek. "I actually thought that was the case, to be sincere. Herbalism is usually taught to one's children and I'm not one to doubt you've been taught well, judging by the fact I've been told your work is important for the people who live here. I'd also accept your plant if I had the sniffles."

He just wanted to avoid a line of conversation that took to the former healer's - her father's - fate, since he was presumably dead. "Any holes left by the moles close by?"
"You're no easier to read than anyone else. When you get the same look from everybody who is looking for the healer and find you, you learn how to respond to that look. As for the tunnel, they aren't usually apparent, but nor are they hard to find. Just come over here and jump around a little." At this she gave him a sly wink and took the herbs she'd gathered into her hut. She called over her shoulder, "Oh, and while you brave adventurers are playing in my garden, please avoid the plants that look like they've been relatively unmolested." Varkhal could hear the smile in her voice as clear as if he'd been able to see her face.
My Area

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11