Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Random surface collapse  (Read 10771 times)

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Random surface collapse
« on: July 24, 2014, 01:45:42 am »

I just got back into DF today after over a year of absence, to try out the new version. Shortly into my new fortress, I receive the message "Something has collapsed on the surface", followed by a spectacular cloud of dust, and a couple of holes in the roof of my small sandy loam room. Nobody was injured (pity one of the 5 children that came in migrant wave 1 wasn't there).

This room had been constructed for a while, and nothing had been done to it when this collapse happened. I did a bit of research to see the cause of collapses, and so far I can't find anything that fits what happened to me.

Anyone got any clue what happened? I don't want a repeat of this later in my fort when some real damage could be done
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Random surface collapse
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 01:52:44 am »

Trees. Trees are somewhat bugged as in the randomly fall and some cause tiles to be destroyed, holes formed, dwarfs dead/injured, nothing happening, etc.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 01:55:02 am »

Trees. Trees are somewhat bugged as in the randomly fall and some cause tiles to be destroyed, holes formed, dwarfs dead/injured, nothing happening, etc.

So basically a tree fell onto the roof of the building? So cut all trees down before making stuff close to the surface?
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 02:07:33 am »

I had a tree growing above an area I channeled out.

Every few months in regrows in mid-air.

Every few months it falls down and causes a spectacular cloud of dust.

Verjigorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 02:56:02 am »

So basically a tree fell onto the roof of the building? So cut all trees down before making stuff close to the surface?

Dig deeper.   The collapses seem related to saplings as well, so you will still get them after clear cutting.   Dig down about 3 levels and then start making your fort.   You are now secure from the tree bombers.   I've also taken to embarking with only a square or two of forest/woodland/sparse tree growth:   I'm not sure, but I think trees heavily contribute to FPS drain with all the leaves and fruit they drop.   Given the speed at which tree's respawn and the return from cutting them down, you don't need very many.   

I was able to keep three wood burners making charcoal and supporting a very robust metals industry before something started tearing my fortress apart.   

If you're worried about being able to farm three levels down, a simple solution is to dig a stairwell down to the center of your farm(I use 5x5 farm plots, clustered around a 3x3 seed stockpile), channel the stairs out(ONE LEVEL AT A TIME, please) and designate the open space as a pond, then dump water in it.   Shouldn't take long to get plenty of mud down there and have your fortress going well. 

Worried about enemies climbing down the shaft?   Put a grate on.  Worried about cave-trolls or other building destroyers ripping up your grates and climbing down?   Surround the grates with walls.   

Just watch you that you don't accidentally smooth your floors afterwards, removing mud and killing your farms.  I lost all my sweetpod and cave wheat stocks that way.

Also, if you dig down to where you're on stone, you don't have to worry about eventual cavern fungi growth ripping your fortress apart.   Because currently, once you break the seal on the caverns, expect to get a FLOOD of mushroom trees in soil layers.   And these trees will penetrate through floors up to 8 z-levels high. 

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 06:00:08 am »

Cave-ins are absolutely stopped cold by walls, ramps and upstairs (including up/down stairs) - cave-ins will destroy everything until they reach a tile supported from below. This means only the z level immediately under the surface is unsafe to dig out, if you leave it intact then z-2 will be perfectly safe. As noted, ramps and staircases are not vulnerable to being destroyed by cave-ins as they support the level above, this can be used to create traversable areas that wont get damaged by collapsing trees (it looks ugly, but you can't have everything).

If you need to dig out dirt on z-1, just pave over the surface above to prevent trees growing and bombing the vulnerable area. Floors (and any other construction or workshop - kennels are cheapest), constructed roads, fields, and stockpiles, will all work fine for this (but if you ever remove the stockpile, trees might pop into existence). Constructed walls/upstairs/ramps, not only stop trees growing, but also 'catch' a collapse and stop its propagation downwards.

To handle fungal trees, just don't dig out any area and leave it unutilized. As noted, workshops and fields keep trees in check, stockpiles do too, as long as you don't remove them. Trees appear to cause no damage when they try to grow through things which obstruct saplings from growing. For example, if a tree grows through a bridge, then while it will actually be growing through the bridge, and providing support and stuff to things above the bridge, it wont cause any damage to the bridge either in growth or being cut down. Trees growing from below appear to cause no damage to workshops, stockpiles etc (these things appear to protect the tiles as well) so the strategy of paving or utilizing everything appears to work well.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 08:42:28 am »

Yeahhhh, just happened to me. Digging deeper doesn't nececarilly help, digging smarter does though. I've got a hole in my thouroughfare 7 z levels deep now.

fluffhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 11:02:08 am »

I had some trees collapsing.  Then after the tree collapsed, I had random cave ins around where the tree fell 3 zlevels into my fort.  I cut that thing down and paved the surface over my fort.  I now have almost the entire top of my fort paved and only dig wider than the paved area after I have hit the stone layers. In addition , I paved a bit wider than my fort so that trees don't grow next to it and drop branches on top of it.  One more thing, is that once I hit my cavern, i went ahead and moved up a few floors so that those trees don't accidently puncture the bottom of my base.  They do regrow pretty fast now though and I'm enjoying not worrying too much about having to setup tree farms.