Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 39

Author Topic: A Strange Idea about Gender Roles  (Read 55101 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Strange Idea about Gender Roles
« Reply #255 on: July 29, 2014, 11:46:17 pm »

Besides which, I'm pretty sure feminists wanting equal rights came first, rather than extremists wanting some sort of Amazonian pseudo-culture.

Unfortunately... that may not be the case... Though I don't think it matters.

Though Strawmen feminism sure is old. You can even see it in Marry Poppins: "Although we adore them [men] individually, we agree that as a group their rather stupid"
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 11:47:49 pm by Neonivek »

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #256 on: July 29, 2014, 11:46:29 pm »

There are heavy civilian strawman casualties on both sides of the semantics argument.

That's what happens when you drop a bomb like that. I'm just glad there's been so little fallout.

On a side note, I still haven't seen these horrifying extremist feminists everyone keeps talking about. Someone drop a link please? I've tried googling, to no avail.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 29, 2014, 11:49:05 pm »

There are heavy civilian strawman casualties on both sides of the semantics argument.

That's what happens when you drop a bomb like that. I'm just glad there's been so little fallout.

On a side note, I still haven't seen these horrifying extremist feminists everyone keeps talking about. Someone drop a link please? I've tried googling, to no avail.

Mansplaining.

Enough said. It will always be the word that will forever solidify the sexism that has been injected into feminism.

On a more serious note, just look up the forms of feminism. "Extreme feminism" I believe is actually its official name" or was it radical feminism? hmm I can never remember. Wikipedia has it.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 29, 2014, 11:52:27 pm »

Sadly, that word exists because it's an actual thing that happens to people.

The name is fairly descriptive of what actually happens, though using it where it isn't warranted as a means to forego further argument is a bit childish, of course.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 29, 2014, 11:54:01 pm »

Sadly, that word exists because it's an actual thing that happens to people.

The name is fairly descriptive of what actually happens, though using it where it isn't warranted as a means to forego further argument is a bit childish, of course.

No... just no...

Mansplaining simply means a MAN didn't acknowledge that someone was a woman and then tried to "explain" or "say" or "Have an opinion that the woman doesn't agree with" without first saying "I acknowledge you are a woman" first.

No... I am not joking.

It would work as a sort of categorical thing... but when you actually get "Are you mansplaining?" you know immediately what the connotation is...

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 29, 2014, 11:55:07 pm »

Extremeists *do* exist.

In rather small numbers, of course. But some people who are already convinced that feminism is bad will use them to convince themselves that feminism is most definetely bad. That or "lol Tumblr"

They are going through a crate of apples to find the rotten one.

Mansplaining.

Mansplaining is when someone of higher privelage simply dismisses anothers view. ",I as a male, haven't seen discrimination against women therefore it must not exist". It also applies to other situations (rich people's difficulty in comprehending that its hard for some people to feed themselves etc).

Its fustratingly common.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 29, 2014, 11:55:58 pm »

On a similar note as "mansplaining" :
http://timedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/2014-04-10-pltm196.jpg?w=560

Tired of people repeatedly bringing up a decent point that you don't really have any need to respond to if you weren't being ridiculous, but still feel threatened by anyway because it isn't 100% bandwagon jumping?
Solution: make comics that attempt to make it look silly with sarcastic cartoonishness instead of actually responding, then keep them perpetually on your clipboard to paste in every dusty corner of the internet on a moment's notice  ::)

Bonus points for the cartoon indirectly implying that men categorically cannot be right about things as long as they are in the majority position of power.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 12:02:29 am by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 29, 2014, 11:58:09 pm »

Mansplaining is when someone of higher privelage simply dismisses anothers view. ",I as a male, haven't seen discrimination against women therefore it must not exist". It also applies to other situations (rich people's difficulty in comprehending that its hard for some people to feed themselves etc)

You got the definition incorrect.

Don't fancy it up so it sounds more reasonable. Though... your definition actually shows the problem with the word on its own.

So I am not sure if you are being straight forward or subtly satirical... DANG IT ALEX!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 30, 2014, 12:01:43 am »

Neonivek, as an example of Mansplaining in a suitable context, allow me to quote someone.

THESE ARE COMMONLY EXPRESSED OPINIONS THE OTHER WAY AROUND. I HEAR THEM CONSTANTLY. PEOPLE, STOP TELLING ME THIS SHIT DOESN'T EXIST AND IT ISN'T A FUCKING PROBLEM. I DON'T CARE IF YOU LIVE IN A VACUUM IN WHICH NO MISOGYNY IS EVER EXPRESSED, BECAUSE THAT IS A BUBBLE, NOT THE WORLD.
THESE ARE NOT COMMONLY EXPRESSED OPINIONS THE OTHER WAY AROUND. I HAVE NEVER HEARD THESE SAID IN ANY SERIOUS CAPACITY. PEOPLE, STOP TELLING ME THIS SHIT EXITS AND IS A FUCKING PROBLEM. I DON"T CARE IF YOU LIVE IN A BUBBLE WHERE LUDICROUS STRAWMEN EXIST, BECAUSE THAT IS A BUBBLE, NOT THE WORLD.

EDIT: Sidenote: Your definition of mansplaining is not 'the definition'. The Urban Dictionary's definition of it is not 'the definition'. A single feminist's definition of it is not 'the definition'. Semantics are bullshit and you know it so stop it.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 30, 2014, 12:05:45 am »

Mansplaining is a portmanteau of the words "man" and "explaining" that describes the act of a man speaking to a woman with the assumption that she knows less than he does about the topic being discussed on the basis of her gender

to comment on or explain something to a woman in a condescending, overconfident, and often inaccurate or oversimplified manner

Also WOW... both of these are definition but the congratulations on the sexism.

I mean... I usually don't say the word "Bitching" but APPERANTLY the double standard only works in one direction. So lets bring in the derogatory gender based statements on someone being wrong.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 12:08:15 am by Neonivek »

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 30, 2014, 12:07:48 am »

*checks* My definition is not *entirely* correct (according to wikipedia), but it is an example.

Here is the definition from Wikipedia:

that describes the act of a man speaking to a woman with the assumption that she knows less than he does about the topic being discussed on the basis of her gender

Some blunt strawmanny examples:

Women: "These parts connect to the crankshaft because *reasonable explanation*"
Man: "Awww thats cute. No they dont"
*car explodes*

Women: "As a women I find it hard to get a job based in engineering"
Man: "Women have equal rights, so your just doing it wrong if its hard to get a job. Or its the economy. Or your just not that good. Or any other possible reason thats not related to gender, since I know it can't be related to gender since I have not experienced it myself."

Poor guy: "I can't afford to feed my family on my meager income"
Rich guy: "Thats silly, poor people have been better off than ever. Stop complaining".
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 12:10:43 am by alexandertnt »
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 30, 2014, 12:10:10 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ohh well I'll drop it... If no one sees it, no one is going to. I'll just wait until the stupid "Its ok if you do it to the majority" phase of society wears off.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 30, 2014, 12:10:25 am »

Mansplaining is supposed to mean when a man assumes he is right or takes on an air of superiority in knowledge due merely to being a man talking to a woman.

Which of course does happen. However, the term itself is almost never invoked in situations where there's actual, objective evidence that any such intentions existed. Especially when used on the internet when tone etc. are not conveyed. Thus as often as not it is a mirror on the user, not the accused.  Coming across strongly as indication of insecurity or aimless rage/frustration instead of in response to any actual attack or paternalism, and thus backfiring by suggesting sexism right back again.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 30, 2014, 12:12:32 am »

Mansplaining is supposed to mean when a man assumes he is right or takes on an air of superiority in knowledge due merely to being a man talking to a woman.

I actually looked it up. There is more then one definition.

I've also seen it used... And it certainly did NOT follow your definition GavJ... both times.

However, the term itself is almost never invoked in situations where there's actual, objective evidence that any such intentions existed.

I don't think that definition is being used because it is a very specific situation.

I've seen it used anytime a man tried to explain something to a woman about something involving women (First time)... And where a man contradicted information that a woman presented from personal experience (second time).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 12:15:45 am by Neonivek »

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 30, 2014, 12:15:38 am »

Neonivek...

...What?

If you *really* need a non-male example:

Man: "This baby needs feeding because *explanation*"
Women: "Silly man, you can't look after kids".

And as GravJ said, it applies only when someone is assuming they are more knowledgable or right based on their gender. It does not apply when there is fair reasoning involved. It does not mean in any way men can't discuss feminine issues.

You eat your own head
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 39