Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A good, straight-forward Sci-Fi book/series  (Read 2324 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A good, straight-forward Sci-Fi book/series
« on: July 22, 2014, 07:30:38 pm »

So I did do a search but nothing really came up. Furthermore, this is quite a specific request as I've read pretty much all of the standard ones (Dune, Culture, Gibson, Asmiov).

I'm looking for a book or preferably series which is probably closest to 'Consider Phlebas' or Dune in style - a proper adventure. I detest the philosophical, acid trip, dream sequence-y style stuff that infects so many novels in this genre. 'The Book of the New Sun' series for instance, I just could not get into because there was so much rambling stuff about philosophy, myths and ponderings on reality, which hadn't got much to do with the plot in any concrete way. I detest this so much that I even turned to W40k books because they're so straight forward in their story telling.

I'm basically looking for a really strong 'down to earth' (excuse the pun) sci-fi adventure - any ideas? They don't need to be super science fiction, they could be more near future/cyberpunk or anything really. I'm not a massive fantasy book fan (other than the greats) but I'd be happy with something like Perdido Street Station or 'weird fiction' if nothing
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 05:44:17 am by Retropunch »
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A good Sci-Fi book/series
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 07:53:29 pm »

I know how you feel. I gave up on the Ender's Game series when it became less about fighting aliens and more about exploring our humanity or spirituality some other rubbish.

I would suggest the Worm online serial [link]. Well written with a decent amount of action set in a sci-fi in alternate universe where humans manifest superpowers ala X-Men. Still quite a unique work despite the tropes and the main character is really compelling. Definitely going to take you a few weeks to finish too, even with reading a few chapters a day.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 08:05:02 pm »

Honor Harrington stuff? There's even some of it up for free over on baen's stuff. Could have sworn more of it was released to the wilds at some point, but maybe that got took down, I'unno.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 08:16:12 pm »

Seconding both Worm and Honor Harrington. Granted, the latter is full of Weber's political author-tracting, but to a lesser degree than most of his published work. Also try Harry Turtledove's paired Worldwar and Colonization series -- described as briefly as possible, alien space lizards invade Earth prior to the Normandy landing during WWII, things derail. Notably features: Otto Skorzeny as a likeable person, ginger as an addictive aphrodisiac (for aliens), a certain degree of HFY, and of course the peculiarities of the author's writing style.

As far as down-to-earth sci-fi adventures go, try Niven's Ringworld. Also, of course, Edgar Rice Burrough's various stories of Barsoom and John Carter.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 11:35:59 pm »

I suggest the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 01:31:41 am »

Foundation series isn't really that adventurous (well, the original trilogy isn't, but the other books aren't really good imo)

I'd recommend Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds, it's pretty good.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 01:40:51 am »

Ah, remembered the Uplift series stuff. Only read one or two of them, and I think out of order at that, but I vaguely remember it to be pretty decent.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 05:20:18 am »

Thanks for the outpouring of help!! Some really good suggestions and I'll definitely look into them - more are always welcome! I've read Asimov's foundation (and other works) and Revelation Space and enjoyed both.

Worm has always intimidated me on it's sheer size, although the repeated recommendations have swayed me to give it a stab. Is there an epub/emobi format anywhere? I've poked around on Google but can't find anything even half official.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 06:37:08 am »

Strongly seconding Honor Harrington and John Carter

Depending on how military-y you are, I'd be remiss not to recommend Kieth Laumer's Bolo series. They're somewhat philosophy based at times, but all that philosophy goes through the great characters of the Bolo super-heavy tanks.

Also, take a look at The Martian, by Andy Weir. It's near future hard science fiction with a great story and enough humor to be fun. I recognized the name from a webcomic that Weir did forever ago, then bought it to read at my last field problem. Ended up reading the whole thing that night.  :-\
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 08:32:04 am »

I kinda like the Starforce serie by B.V.Larson. I actually dislike the main character, but the story had me go through the first 4 books in a short time.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 08:59:18 am »

I came across John Scalzi's Old Man's War in a humble bundle and ended up reading three books in the series within a couple of weeks. I have the rest on my to-buy list. Not the deepest sci-fi, but very entertaining.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 10:12:10 am »

Dan Simmons, Hyperion/Endymion series.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 08:50:40 pm »

Thanks for the outpouring of help!! Some really good suggestions and I'll definitely look into them - more are always welcome! I've read Asimov's foundation (and other works) and Revelation Space and enjoyed both.

Worm has always intimidated me on it's sheer size, although the repeated recommendations have swayed me to give it a stab. Is there an epub/emobi format anywhere? I've poked around on Google but can't find anything even half official.

The author blogged about this. He's intending to get the work published as a real book, but says it needs editing and a bit more fleshing out in the middle. Unfortunately this means official plans for an epub are on hold until this is done, though there's unofficial versions floating around. Don't let that or the length put you off reading the story though, since it's well worth the investment.

Also a big thanks to Frumple for his link. There's some solid gold sci-fi reading there.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 09:18:05 pm »

I just finished Leviathan Wakes, which is really good.  It is part horror/part noir.  It centers around a detective based on a station at Ceres, and the executive officer of an ice hauler.  They slowly unravel a conspiracy, which unravels more conspiracy, and so on.  It does have elements of the classic Sci-Fi mindfuckery, but it isn't too bad.  In the authors words, it is a working mans sci-fi, where you deal with the nitty gritty of space travel.  He said he doesn't consider it hard sci-fi, but it is definitely realistic in places (G-Forces are a bitch, and if you undergo high acceleration you have to sit in special seats while you are pumped full of drugs to prevent your insides from being turned into jelly.)
I haven't read the rest of the series yet, so I can't comment on any of the other books.
Also, how is Dune not acid tripping?  I remember it being one of the trippiest books I've ever read. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 09:23:57 pm »

« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 03:44:24 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: [1] 2