Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My dwarfs are not taking care of the dead and letting miasma build  (Read 1183 times)

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have about 25 dwarfs on idle, 5 open burial sites and a rotten dwarf at the entrance of my fortress spewing miasma in the most traversed walkway on the map, so my dwarfs are going through it a lot. This seems to be a fairly common occurrence, but underground in a cavern. A dwarf will get killed and despite having idlers with hauling enabled and open burial sites they will let the corpse rot well after it forms miasma and a while after this they will finally decide to bury him or her. I am not sure what is going on. My version is 34.11
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 08:34:36 am by ykcud »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My dwarfs are not taking care of the dead and letting miasma build
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 07:41:48 am »

"Place item in tomb" seems to be a very low priority job in 0.40 (compared to earlier versions, where it was extremely high priority).  I've seen dwarves neglect their fallen comrades for a very long time, especially if the first responder gets horrified and cancels the job.  Best workaround seems to be disabling the Burial (under hauling) labor on dwarves who can't stand the sight of corpses, and making sure you have plenty of non-squeamish idlers ready to take over.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 08:34:09 am »

Darn it, I forgot to mention I am using 34.11

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 11:54:18 am »

Oh, in 0.34.11?  Then:
  • Make sure your coffins are actually "activated" for burial of dwarves.  After building them, you have to q them and then press another key to turn them into either tombs (this is for nobility), or regular burial spots for dwarves and/or pets.
  • See if someone is already doing a "Place item in tomb" job, perhaps very slowly, or from very far away.
  • Make sure the corpse isn't forbidden.
  • See if one of the coffins has already been designated as this dwarf's burial site.  That should happen before the corpse is actually in it.
  • Make sure you didn't accidentally give this dwarf a Tomb somewhere unreachable.  (A long shot, but hey.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 05:37:39 pm »

Oh, in 0.34.11?  Then:
  • Make sure your coffins are actually "activated" for burial of dwarves.  After building them, you have to q them and then press another key to turn them into either tombs (this is for nobility), or regular burial spots for dwarves and/or pets.
  • See if someone is already doing a "Place item in tomb" job, perhaps very slowly, or from very far away.
  • Make sure the corpse isn't forbidden.
  • See if one of the coffins has already been designated as this dwarf's burial site.  That should happen before the corpse is actually in it.
  • Make sure you didn't accidentally give this dwarf a Tomb somewhere unreachable.  (A long shot, but hey.)

Checking through the list
1: No. All of my open burial sites are activated
2: I currently have only one dwarf placing items in a tomb. There is a lot of items and I have seen multiple dwarfs take care of a dead body before. In short his job will take fr too long than what I am comfortable with as the rest of the dwarfs are constantly walking through the miasma.
3: The corpse is not forbidden
4: There are 5 open burial sites.
5: The burial sites are all reachable

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 06:19:12 pm »

2: I currently have only one dwarf placing items in a tomb. There is a lot of items and I have seen multiple dwarfs take care of a dead body before.

If all the parts are from one dwarf, then only one "Place item in tomb" job will be done at a time.  Which is a massive pain in the nostrils if your dwarf lost some teeth before dying, because Each... Fucking... Tooth... gets moved... One... By... One.  Possibly before the meaty miasma-y bits get moved.

rjs71053

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 06:26:15 pm »

Could it possible be "Don't gather refuse from outside" standing order?  Maybe try toggling that could help.

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 06:33:30 pm »

Could it possible be "Don't gather refuse from outside" standing order?  Maybe try toggling that could help.

How do I toggle that?

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 12:11:10 pm »

press "o" and look through the list but it shouldn't affect dwarf corpses

Picking up corpses has always been a pain in the neck for some reason

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 09:24:51 pm »

I dont see an option for corpses

Migue5356

• Bay Watcher
  • grisha5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 10:56:25 pm »

It's in the refuse submenu. ("o"rders>"r"efuse">"o"utside)
]hi guys,im back, who was missing me?

Y-you know. I'm just going to leave. You've all managed to thoroughly horrify me...

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 01:32:26 pm »

2: I currently have only one dwarf placing items in a tomb. There is a lot of items and I have seen multiple dwarfs take care of a dead body before.

If all the parts are from one dwarf, then only one "Place item in tomb" job will be done at a time.  Which is a massive pain in the nostrils if your dwarf lost some teeth before dying, because Each... Fucking... Tooth... gets moved... One... By... One.  Possibly before the meaty miasma-y bits get moved.

I strongly suspect this is why. Although there is no teeth that has fallen out there are quite a bit of meaty bits in a one pile. Then again I could have sworn I saw a while ago at least 2 dwarfs picking up pieces from a single dwarf.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 04:26:12 pm »

It's in the refuse submenu. ("o"rders>"r"efuse">"o"utside)

I had a dozen dead elves stinking up my farm and horrifying the peasants until I fixed this. Its definitely dwarves set to not clean up outdoor refuse.