Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Double slit..  (Read 3197 times)

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Double slit..
« on: July 20, 2014, 03:28:00 pm »

I'm going mad trying to use this method to break through an aquifer... any advice?  I've tried following the tutorial on the wiki but this doesn't seem to work.

My builders end up being pushed about and unable to work on the walls despite the site being mostly 1/7... :( 

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
Re: Double slit..
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 04:10:24 pm »

You're going to get a lot of cancellations building the walls, you just need to resume building whenever it happens - as long as they even try to work on it it'll get progress towards being built, it can and will take several cancellations before the wall is done.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 05:09:03 pm »

Yep... If you're using DFhack you can use the command autounsuspend start, which will automatically unsuspend the jobs. If you can't or wont use DFhack, then you just have to manually unsuspend, again and again and again.

If you want to see the process in action, then check the video in my link. Albeit I do it pretty fast. But you can see it does definitely work :).
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 05:19:45 am »

Thanks all, I found part of the problem was that one of my slits wasn't 'deep' enough, (I hadn't dug a second up/down staircase, below the first aquifer layer.

I'm using the current starter pack and dfhack is er missing...

I'd love to temp turn off suspend while doing this!

The aquifer itself, where does the water come from? IT can't be the dug out square or walling it off wouldn't work.  So it must be out of the unsmoothed/unwalled walls of the aquifer squares around the hole?  I ask because I'm close to doing the last two squares and I think there would be less water if I dug both stairs out, then did one wall at a time.  A protruding aquifer square offers 3 sides rather than 1?

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 05:37:53 am »

I now have salmon in my aquifer!   ???

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 06:44:47 am »

And now my fort is dead...

Once the two slits become one, the water pushed the pump opperator off the pump and into the slit drowing him.  Once his body was found the fort went nuts, the epidtion leader is throwign tantrums and I dont think I'll get it back from the brink.

I've no idea what went wrong..

The top level (level above first aquifer level) was dug out from the sides and so the pump spread water a bit..

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 08:24:29 am »

Yep... If you're using DFhack you can use the command autounsuspend start, which will automatically unsuspend the jobs. If you can't or wont use DFhack, then you just have to manually unsuspend, again and again and again.

If you want to see the process in action, then check the video in my link. Albeit I do it pretty fast. But you can see it does definitely work :).

My aquifer works very differently from yours.

So I build a slit into the first aquifer level, and pump water from one slit, dig stairs into the aquifer level below that, and switch the pump round. do the same on the other side.  In your video, the first layer is dry I assume the water is draining into the aquifer layer below?

In my world the aquifer slits remain full unless I'm pumping..

:S

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 08:50:41 am »

You have to remember that there are basically two types of aquifer layers.
1. An aquifer layer that has another aquifer layer beneath it.
2. An aquifer layer that doesn't have another aquifer layer beneath it.

Determining which of the above 2 types you have is the reason you single step while digging the downward stairs.
In case 1 (another aquifer layer below), once you've done the required digging, the layer that you're busy walling up is self draining. No constant pumping required.
In case 2, you need to be careful in your dig order and you need to constantly pump while walling in the area.

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 09:21:00 am »

Well I'm in case 1 and the layer i'm in is not self draining.  If I turn the pump off it fills to 7! I'm messed up somewhere else huh?

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 09:47:03 am »

Level z -1 is flooded unless the pump is turned on but then the water pushes the pump operator down the slit

Code: [Select]
W= Wall P = Pump D = Downstair F=floor X=Up/down stair S= Damp sand/stone U= upstair
Level z non aquifer:

WWWWWW
W PP W
WDFFXW
WWWWWW

z-1
S=Damp sand
SWWSWS
WXXUDW
WXXSXW
SWWSWS

z-2
S=Damp Stone
SSSSSS
SXSSXS
SXSSXS
SSSSSS

z-3
S= Damp Stone
B= black
BBBBBB
BSBBSB
BSBBSB
BBBBBB

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 10:17:52 am »

If I understand your diagram correctly, I see the following.
Level z = non-aquifer
level z-1 = aquifer
level z-2 = what you believe to be an aquifer because of seeing damp stone. However, I believe that it isn't an aquifer because the stone would be damp anyway because of the water at level z-1. The reason for single stepping while digging the up/down stairs in level z-1 is so you can see if level z-2 is damp or dry PRIOR to level z-1 getting flooded by the aquifer.

Exactly what type of damp stone do you see at level z-2? I suspect you'll find it's of a type that doesn't support an aquifer and that level z-1 is the real bottom of your aquifer.

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 10:24:41 am »

Oh... Now I feel so dumb, but I thought I had one steped it..

Limestone... = no aquifer huh?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 10:42:24 am »

read threat title, expected someone to attempt the classic quantum mechanics experiment of the same name using dwarf fortress.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 10:56:08 am »

read threat title, expected someone to attempt the classic quantum mechanics experiment of the same name using dwarf fortress.

So sorry to disappoint!  Whoes for building a dwarf fortres Hadron collider?

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 10:56:58 am »

What would that even be? minecart shotguns firing at one another to test object midair collisions?
Pages: [1] 2