Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28

Author Topic: Slingblock: A noob fortress - Free Socks* (Details inside)  (Read 40234 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Slingblock: A noob fortress - Free Socks* (Details inside)
« Reply #375 on: December 08, 2014, 11:41:10 am »

This is dying. HORRIBLE!!!! August should be finished by now!
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #376 on: December 09, 2014, 10:30:04 am »

But I never even got a turn!  :'(What is going on?  :-\Why must all good things die unexpectedly, while they are going so well? Well, "going well" in DF means not crumbling, esp. w/ noob fortresses, but come on! Please, August, finish your turn! It's taken weeks! :o >:( :(
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #377 on: December 13, 2014, 09:07:30 pm »

Guys? Is this dead? (Pokes thread, and August.) Please? No! (Hits thread.)
Sigtext!

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #378 on: December 20, 2014, 12:50:30 am »

What, this died while I was gone?
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 20, 2014, 02:32:43 pm »

Well, August has had his turn since the 15th of november. His last post here was on the 2nd and last seen (on profile) was the 6th.
That's 2 weeks he's not been about and held the fort for over a month.

So personally i'd suggest skipping August, as that's one heckuva long time to not be logged on since most turns take 2 weeks or at least get updated every few days.

I've worked out how to get DFhack to work, so if it's "unplayable" (let jwood decide) i can have a look. The downside of this (or upside) is that i'll need to update it to 40.19 to do so (latest version where dfhack is usable). I'll ask later exactly what you did to the raws, as i'll need to modify them as they are now to ensure nothing goes wrong (not that it should anyway, but you never know, some idiot somewhere might actually have a tamed ice wolf and if i used raws which didn't allow that.... crash).
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #380 on: December 31, 2014, 07:21:36 pm »

YAY!!!! I though it was dead, but I just looked back at it after Christmas vacation. I'm getting right to it, and will update as soon as possible. YAY!

Edit: Oh. My. God. This is the biggest fortress I have ever seen.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 07:38:02 pm by jwoodward48df »
Sigtext!

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 31, 2014, 07:57:34 pm »

What's this about free socks?  ???
Thou art the very love with which I love thee.
Ear teeth

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #382 on: January 01, 2015, 12:22:39 am »

As I looked out at the fortress, there were many things that I might have expected to see. A building, a castle, even just a hole in the ground. What I did see, and what I was utterly unprepared for, was a gruesome, stinking pile of rotting flesh.

That's right. Along with a couple of towers (presumably for archers to fire from), a trap-guarded building sporting a strange-looking ramp configuration leading to nowhere, and a bunch of foreign bins strewn about the snow, there was a pile of rotten corpses. There was also a lot of dwarven blood, but that might have partially come from the freakish weather in this region, as it was impossible to cover that much landscape with that much blood.

Right?

Anyway, I was to be the next overseer of this (literally) bloody fortress. King's orders. It didn't look too bad. I just hoped it wasn't humongous. I didn't like humongous fortresses.

OH NOOOOOO IT'S HUMONGOUS

When you walk in through the entrance, past the heap of corpses, numerous traps bloody from multiple sources, and a trade depot still piled with bins of cloth, logs, and clay, you are greeted with a pile of cloth next to a bunch of archery targets. The archery targets make a bit of sense, as they are close to the towers, but why are some of them made from COAL, of all things? And why the cloth, which is not in a stockpile? It just doesn't make any sense!

Actually, I've been looking over it some more, and although I may not be able to make a grand thing, I can probably make this fortress... not fall during my turn. Killed a goblin thief in the pit. Bye for now!

More: I've been walking around this awhile, and although the design is a little...make that a LOT different from what I'm used to, I think it's usable. Wait...what's that creepy skeleton-filled maze made from slate SLADE? What is this place?

I think that my addition will be a self-sufficient magma farm lockdown. I really like the idea of that. If I can get some sand down or magma up...

9th Granite: Dobar Semmeb, militia captain withdraws from society and treks down to the bottom of the earth, forcing a strand extractor out of his workshop.

Oh, wait. THERE'S NO SAND. Well, that simplifies things, while making my ideas redundant. Huh.

There's a fire snake running around the magma forge level. Is that bad?

How come there's no craftsdwarf's workshop near the butcher's shop? Fixed that.

Someone ran into my office and told me there were orders to make 30 candy mine carts. That's ridiculous. Got rid of that.

I saw that to get ore and flux stone, the smelters had to WALK UP HUNDREDS OF LEVELS to get their stone. And the staircases are so inefficient! AARRGH!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 12:16:54 pm by jwoodward48df »
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #383 on: January 01, 2015, 08:40:52 pm »

25th Slate, 258:

Shem just ran into my office:

Shem: The' ... pant ... pant ... F'rg'tt'n Best Nel'ra has c'm!
Me: What?
Shem: I said, the Forgotten Beast Nelara has come!
Me: What's so bad about it?
Shem: It's made of vomit!  It's a quadruped with a curling trunk and a bloated body!  And it has a sting!
Me: What does it sting with?
Shem: Dunno.
Me: Hurry!  We must find the breach to the third cavern!
Shem: Whoever said there was a breach?
Me: But ... but ... then ... how did you see it?
Shem: *walks away*
Yep, there was no breach to the third cavern, but somehow Shem Tulonenkos knew there was another Forgotten beast in it. Damned if I know how.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 07:41:25 pm by jwoodward48df »
Sigtext!

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 02, 2015, 01:59:16 pm »

rofl at made of vomit.

Doing great but one thing, a picture can tell a thousand words :P

Take it things are going well otherwise?
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #385 on: January 06, 2015, 12:39:51 pm »

James Woodward cancels Procrastinate instead of Playing Slingblock Because Bored: Strange Mood.
James Woodward, Overseer withdraws from Bay12-ciety...
James Woodward has claimed a Dwarf Fortress!
James Woodward sketches pictures of blocks.
James Woodward sketches pictures of pipe sections.
James Woodward sketches pictures of giant corkscrews.
James Woodward sketches pictures of water MAGMA water. (Magma is too hot and far away. I know nothing dwarfier than magma, but I should try with water before I mess with Armok's hot blood.

Can you guess?

(If you need a hint...)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 12:52:31 pm by jwoodward48df »
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #386 on: January 06, 2015, 01:51:37 pm »

Wait, it's freezing outside! It would clog all the pipes! Well, then, MAAAGGGMMMAAAA it is!

Ummm... Does magma melt ice walls?
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #387 on: January 08, 2015, 06:21:15 pm »

Uggghh... I've never done magma before, so I might not be able to do it. Sigh...

Is there an aquifer? There is "damp red sand," as I discovered using DFHack (I didn't look at anything more than the sand, I promise), and it is not near any water.
Sigtext!

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #388 on: January 12, 2015, 01:57:59 am »

I don't remember seeing aquifer anywhere, but idk. I do know the FB goop needs to be cleaned somehow.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #389 on: January 15, 2015, 01:17:50 pm »

I'm so sorry, guys. I've had so much RL business, and the fort is so slow, that I'm just now finishing spring. SPRING.

But that doesn't mean I'm giving up. By no means. If someone wants it right now, I could pass on the fort, but I WILL otherwise finish the fort, no matter how long it takes! I AM THE INTEGRAL FROM 1 TO X OF ONE OVER T!!!!!!!

umm... calc reference
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 01:40:05 pm by jwoodward48df »
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28