Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28

Author Topic: Slingblock: A noob fortress - Free Socks* (Details inside)  (Read 40257 times)

hatesdigimon

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp, I am.
    • View Profile
Re: Slingblock: A noob fortress - And now there's a hammerer.
« Reply #300 on: October 07, 2014, 07:59:19 pm »

nice post

August

• Bay Watcher
  • "No, Urist. You are the Goblins."
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 08, 2014, 07:09:26 pm »

RIP August II

With people running down there and getting themselves killed, should we... maybe block it off?
Welcome to the forums, August!
Please leave your sanity on the coat hanger to your left.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #302 on: October 08, 2014, 11:23:34 pm »

Attempting to. I didn't expect to find people down there because everything was forbidden, but idk.

I should mention that we still haven't technically popped the clowncar, so still watch it if we mine any candy.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Nail

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud hypocrite
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 09, 2014, 11:11:09 am »

Journal of Nail, captain of the guard.
As jury, judge and offended party I have sentenced another insolent fool! This time just to a long stay at our penitentiary, since he wears a metal helm.
As a reward our new(old) graceful king, his majesty Murdoc(and I was so shure we had a queen...), gifted me a ticket to the circus, though I lost my two companions somewhere in the caverns when they went looking for some pre-show attraction. That's what happens when you don't wear high quality circus-going boots, made by SlingShoe™ Inc., a shoe for every occasion!
left eye

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 09, 2014, 01:21:23 pm »

The otherworldly spirit known as Skullsploder sits at his adamantine desk and frowns out the clear diamond window in front of him at the events of the mortal realm. The other spirits don't know why he continues to obsess himself with the doings of the residents of Slingblock, but nonetheless, there he sits, fretting and worrying over the actions of the mortals. A ghostly shout rings out.

"ONE YEAR?! It took them ONE YEAR after I organised them a nice safe well defended fortress to go opening a doorway to HELL ITSELF? Oh, Armok, I'm going to have to take control down there again."

Immortal spirits have a lot of time on their hands, the others reason. Let him obsess with those noobs for now. Sooner or later all their souls would be joining them. Or not.

So yeah please sign me up for another go :)
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 09, 2014, 02:01:46 pm »

Dunamisdeos' Log: Stardate - Dead o' clock, apparently.

So, I talked to the other spirits here. It seems that after my term as overseer I went into some sort of fugue and did ridiculous things like "Leaving my bedroom for anything but food and booze" and "trading things that are not falling blocks for the elves goods". I then finished up with walking into a tomb full of the living dead and got turned into dwarf pudding.

So that's that, then. At least I don't live on the blood cube anymore. I'm told the opportunity will arise to oversee the fortress again as a reward for good behavior. This is like saying that if I want to I can lick a cactus, but only if I'm good.

The Dwarf afterlife isn't so bad, though. Moradin, Thorin, Doc, Happy, and Grumpy are throwing another kegger in half an hour at Armok's place. Log complete.

~Dunamisdeos
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #306 on: October 09, 2014, 09:12:13 pm »

well that minotaur was named and titled, and was lame as hell

cmon get your shit together

edit: i don't understand, everything was fine and then all of a sudden we have people falling over dead in the hallways
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 11:11:03 pm by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Nail

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud hypocrite
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 10, 2014, 07:56:24 am »

Check if there are contaminants that aren't blood(or vomit) somewhere on the map. You fought some clowns and a forgotten beast, those frequently come with deadly illnesses. Check the fortress' health. If anybody shows any symptoms(like fever, rotting or paralysis) you're dealing with beast sickness.
Report back for more advice.

left eye

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #308 on: October 10, 2014, 08:02:47 am »

I saw a goat with a fever outside.
GM of Trespassers V2.

Nail

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud hypocrite
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 10, 2014, 08:19:50 am »

There are only two ways it could have gotten a fever(as far as I know: Beast sickness or a wound, and the latter is unlikely. FB and Clowns often come with diseases. You can tell by their description if they have one: Beasts with Noxious Secretions, Poisonous bite or sting, Spit, Toxic blood, vapor, or gas and Deadly dust can carry syndromes ranging from harmless to instant death. Beast sickness can easily destroy a fort and there is no way to cure it.
If I remember correctly you recently fought one with Deadly dust, so check the dwarves that engaged it and the place where you fought for coatings of dust.
A start would be to search for where the goat could have gotten the disease, since it's movement is probably easier to reconstruct than your dwarve's.

Contaminants are left by Noxious Secretions, Toxic blood(I think vapor too but I'm not sure) and Deadly dust. Contaminants can be found by looking for miscoulored tiles or through loo[k]ing.

To combat the spread of disease, make sure all dwarves are wearing shoes, though full clothing is obviously even better, since most cases of beast sickness are contracted by walking through a contaminated tile. Ensuring your dwarves have a place to clean themselves is also helpful, but be careful, because the contaminants will be washed onto the floor there. Items can also be on items, so if you don't find any contaminated tiles or even after cleaning up people become infected, check frequently used items as well(this is usually food. There is a story somewhere on these forums where one particularly tasty egg roast was contaminated and the player only managed to find it after almost the entire population had bitten the dust(see what I did there? 8))).

Contaminated tiles are routinely cleaned by your dwarves but it is a very low priority labor so it can take a while if you don't dedicate some dwarves to it. Cleaning dwarves or dwarves touching contaminated items get infected if they aren't wearing gloves or mittens, so these are important as well. You can also wash contaminants away with water or completely destroy them with magma, but this requires a lot of engineering.
As a last ditch effort there is a DFhack command to clean all contaminants from the map.

It's also good to know the symptoms of your particular case, since not all diseases are fatal.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 08:59:38 am by Nail »
left eye

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #310 on: October 10, 2014, 05:08:45 pm »

The goat I looked at was also filled to the brim with pus, so yeah I think the death-lizard had more of an effect than I realized.
GM of Trespassers V2.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 11, 2014, 01:36:08 am »

Has the goat died yet? It maaaaay be possible that it's a non-lethal affliction despite the pus. If it's causing necrosis or something, well shit. Start putting in production orders for shoes, cloaks, mittens and hoods either way.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 11, 2014, 10:25:13 am »

I think severe enough swelling can cause necrosis, can't it? Might be a potentially lethal but not always lethal syndrome.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Nail

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud hypocrite
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 11, 2014, 12:10:31 pm »

A good hospital can prevent a lot of deaths. I think the only thing it can't do anything against is paralysis.
That is of course if the idiots bother to go there.
left eye

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #314 on: October 12, 2014, 01:08:09 pm »

Bye nail.
GM of Trespassers V2.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28