Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28

Author Topic: Slingblock: A noob fortress - Free Socks* (Details inside)  (Read 40273 times)

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
Re: Slingblock: A noob fortress - Wells are hard.
« Reply #285 on: September 30, 2014, 05:20:01 pm »

so yeah i've never actually managed a fortress this large/old, but I should be able to start this weekend. Anyone with more free time available to take a turn before Saturday?
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

August

• Bay Watcher
  • "No, Urist. You are the Goblins."
    • View Profile
Re: Slingblock: A noob fortress - Wells are hard.
« Reply #286 on: September 30, 2014, 07:55:05 pm »

so yeah i've never actually managed a fortress this large/old, but I should be able to start this weekend. Anyone with more free time available to take a turn before Saturday?
I wish I could say yes, but I'm pretty busy during the week now that college has started.
Anybody else?
Welcome to the forums, August!
Please leave your sanity on the coat hanger to your left.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
Re: Slingblock: A noob fortress - And now there's a hammerer.
« Reply #287 on: September 30, 2014, 08:51:53 pm »

I have yet to be added to the turn list.

Now would be a good time to add this noob to it.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 30, 2014, 08:53:21 pm »

We need more noobs to fight the good fight and die the poor death.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #289 on: September 30, 2014, 09:03:41 pm »

go ahead and take your turn then, I'll get the update done eventually.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 01, 2014, 05:14:28 pm »

go ahead and take your turn then, I'll get the update done eventually.
Wait what?

Is this another OP that's managed to go AWOL?

I'm even noobier than I thought.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 06:38:32 pm by tonnot98 »
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

August

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 01, 2014, 05:53:33 pm »

We need more noobs to fight the good fight and die the poor death.
Agreed!

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #292 on: October 01, 2014, 10:39:14 pm »

I just don't have any time on my hands at the moment. At least, not that kind of time.
GM of Trespassers V2.

August

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 04, 2014, 06:00:25 pm »

So, any progress?

August

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 07, 2014, 12:48:50 am »

Hey guys, if no one wants to take their turn, I'll go ahead and play.
Let me know if you still intend to to do it, otherwise I'll be starting in two days.

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 07, 2014, 01:22:27 am »

Wait what?  August starts in 2 days?  My phone clock is waaaay wrong !

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #296 on: October 07, 2014, 07:40:32 am »

go ahead, i've got a plethora of distractions
GM of Trespassers V2.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 07, 2014, 12:50:56 pm »

I want my turn!!! Been waiting forever feels like.  :P
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #298 on: October 07, 2014, 04:45:38 pm »

actually, i have some time tonight, lemme try to hammer this out
GM of Trespassers V2.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #299 on: October 07, 2014, 04:53:45 pm »

also, can we NOT upload things as .rars?

Day 1

I've been informed that the previous overseer is stepping down.

Thank the gods.

The first order of business I set about was ensuring that the fortress guard was armed with something that wouldn't kill people that were slated for beatings. I may as well have them become a functional military unit, so I've issued them orders to pick up armor and crossbows.

Day 2

As I was paging through the active work orders, someone told me that a Likot Solonamug created an absolutely outstanding amulet.

I'm not really sure how one makes a menacing spike out of llama wool.

I thought I might try my hand at getting us some magma for our forges, but that's beyond my skill. Instead, I decide to listen to the rumors that have been flying for a while now. Apparently, someone says there's an adamantine longsword buried around here, and I intend to locate it. I've designated a passage to be dug to it.

Day 10

The dig has begun. Perhaps once the blade is retrieved, I will convert the shaft into a series of magma reservoirs.

If these metalsmiths and furnace operators could leave me ALONE about the fact that they need charcoal, I could FIX THE PROBLEM. LEAVE ME ALONE. STOP TELLING ME.

Day 31

Not much is going on. A kobold showed up, saw a hauler, and promptly ran for it's sorry little life. Pity they can't communicate; they leave the most terrible bloodstains around when they get mushed.

Day 34

WHY DOES NO ONE TELL ME THESE THINGS
One of the military dwarves stopped by my office today and told me that there is a  TOWERING BLOB COMPOSED OF SALT WALKING AROUND IN THE CAVERNS. THIS IS NOT SOMETHING YOU DON'T TELL PEOPLE ABOUT.

Day 41

I've ordered all of the trees in the area cut down. Enough is enough. The elves can deal with it; we'll just tell them that the swords are sung out of the ground or some ridiculous nonsense and that trees get killed by the frozen blood. I've assigned a hauler to woodcutting in the hopes that another hand will speed the process.

Day 43

Some half-wit reported a reindeer cow as missing. I tried to let him down gently; apparently the previous overseer ordered them all slaughtered.

We've also hit a slight snag in my little project. Apparently there's another cavern layer that we bypassed entirely on the way to the magma sea. I'll have it sealed off and the dig will continue elsewhere.

Day 45

A hauler met a polar bear face-to-face earlier. It took one step and walked into a cage trap.

I'm going to have a new pet.

Day 47

Oh gods.

SHITWHATDOIDOIMNOTAMILITARYCOMMANDERIJUSTWRITESHITINTHISBOOK

ITSRIGHTOUTSIDETHEFUCKINGFORTANDIDONTKNOWWHERETHERIGHTLEVERIS

I ordered all of the markdwarves to attack at once.

Reconsidering my first course of action, I tell them to gather in the trap hall first. After the beastie decides to go for a swim rather than munch on my haulers, I decide to call the marksdwarves off for the moment. Maybe the giant shelled hairy lizard is friendly.

Day 53

The miners hit a strange wall today. I'm not sure what it's made of, but it can withstand the assault of a pickaxe. The blade is down there, supposedly, so I'm ordering more of it dug out.

Day 54

The dead walk! There seems to be some sort of strange, zombie-filled fortress down there! I've ordered our troops to clear them out.

It appears Dunamisdeos didn't make it away in time. One of the living dead smeared him all over the excavation.

Day 65

The dead went down fairly smoothly, though a few brainless haulers took wounds and two of them lost their heads. I've had that glowing floor removed while I decide what to do with the blade. There's some soil; I'm going to have it dug away so we can see what's under this fortress. Surely it must be important.

Day 70

All that was down there was some stone cavern. Nothing else to report, other than an irritating lack of war training on that polar bear.

Day 71

A hideous monster came boiling out of the hole! It promptly lit the miner who discovered it on fire. It apparently can both throw fireballs and breathe a cone of flame.

I've ordered the squads to station at the entrance to the fortress and ordered the civilians to stay inside. Hopefully we can beat back the beast, and any more that follow.

More beasts followed.

In the middle of the staircase, Lokum Tongssyrups, Captain of the Axe, engages the miner-slayer in single combat!

I order the rest of the melee squads in but I doubt it will save his brave soul.

But wait!

He's getting a nice tomb and a personal bedroom for sure.

Since the immediate threat has passed and the demons seem content to wander about in their holes, I take a look at the prison.

Nail promptly earns the position of militia captain. He'll serve as excellent bait reconnaissance.

Day 102

Not much has happened. People are getting proper burials but there's nothing that's capable of threatening our incredibly helpful ex-mayor. Elves showed up, I bought most of their wood and some booze with our trade goods.

Day 109

A child started gibbering about something today. Probably another thrice-damned possession. More useless rings and amulets, yay. Some miller jumped into the water with the death-lizard. I'm sending Nail to "deal with it."

Day 116

Nail remains frustratingly alive but somehow two recruits and August II have fallen to a Forgotten Beast. Luckily, it seems that the monster bled out in the process.

Day 137

That boot-loving imbecile became the mayor again, somehow. A demon snacked on a lye maker and then wandered off into the caverns. Nothing new.

Day 142

Ordered an area for forges dug out above the magma sea. If I get another request for charcoal, someone is going to die.

Speaking of, a ranger wandered down into the strange caverns below the fortress to retrieve a corpse and is most likely going to become one himself, along with the dog and the doctor that followed him down there. I have no idea why people keep deciding to go down there, but hopefully this will leave us with a population possessing a higher average IQ.

Day 143

*A smudge that matches an ink stain on the Overseer's forehead is found here.*
That creepy-ass child finishes his project.

I get excited when I hear "axe," but it fades quickly. I'm beginning to wonder about Her Majesty, though.

Day 147
JUST BUILD THE FUCKING WALL ALREADY BY ARMOK'S BEARD THE SOCKS ARE NOT WORTH BEING TORN TO BITS BY DEMONS
Day 148
you know what he might actually be more useful than the last migrant wave

She attacked Nail, and my hopes soared-

Well that wasn't very exciting.

Day 151

I've recieved five reports of animals being found dead, bled out. It appears that the blood snow is melting and doing this to them. I'm not sure how this wasn't noticed for seven Armok-damned years, but I don't know how to stop this.

Day 155

Not much is going on. I almost had the hell-cavern walled up but no less than four people managed to seal themselves in there.

Day 156

Huh?

NAIL IS DOWN IN THE CREEPY CAVERNS HELL YES I ACCIDENTALLY SEALED HIM IN

Day 158
Designated a quantum stockpile in the magma forge area-

I've ordered some of it dug out.

Humans arrived too.

Day 160

I wonder why.

(There is also a page of the eagle fiend breaking like four different limbs via wrestling.)

Day 167

pff whatever let them have the little bastards

Master Thief my ass. Looks like we have another dining room decoration.

The broker bought plenty of booze from the humans. We also picked up some cheese and a couple bins of leather, since we've been running short of it.

Day 171
An ambush! Curse them!

The new mayor got caught outside. The military's down in the bloody caverns for no good Armok-damn reason, so I doubt he'll live. Pity, his mandates would have been easy to fulfill and he likes raw adamantine.

Just as the military arrives, the mayor gets shot in the head, putting an end to what would have been a painful death. Then the axe and sword squad start making ☼minced goblin bowmen☼ in short order. It's quite astonishing, actually, how every swing removes another limb.

To celebrate the victory, I order some new quarters dug out above the magma level. I plan on removing our normal forges and replacing them entirely with magma forges eventually, as well as moving more of our supplies into the new quantum stockpile. Hopefully, we'll get tree farms and normal farms set up down here too, so we can get things done more efficiently, especially when we get a crack at that adamantine.

The two larger areas are a dormitory and a dining hall. Ideally, the smiths will stay down here.

Another snatcher now decorates the original dining hall. Perhaps I'll have our "immigrants" displayed in the new one instead?

Day 172

A child bled to death outside. I think it's the corpse of that Forgotten Beast; the only casualties have been animals wandering around outside until now, and that thing is sitting right outside the entrance.

((OOC: I just realized something kind of touching and sad. A dwarf still has dead acquaintances and friends listed under their relationships, and the list doesn't differentiate. My dwarf is still friends with the rest of the starting 7, every single one of which is dead except for him.))

Day 183

We sighted some more adamantine today. As much as I want to dig it all out, we need to get the forges prepared. I've realized the area dug out thus far is entirely too small for our purposes; I plan on expanding it eventually. I also fixed some notation that should tell people to use the quantum stockpile. A farm has been designated, and I have started an area above it so it can be muddied and prepped for agriculture. I wonder what magma-heated plump helmets taste like.

Day 186

Ordered a few of the older smelters deconstructed. Another snatcher wandered into a cage trap; I'm having the current decorations in the dining room taken down in anticipation for the construction of the new dining hall.

Another child dropped dead today. I have no idea why; I ordered that Forgotten Beast dumped down the garbage chute. All of the deaths seem to be occurring in the same area. The child was absolutely dripping with pus when he died, similar to the other victims.

Day 188

A suturer withdrew from society today. Wonder what he's up to?

AHA! I've found the source of all the mysterious deaths: the bridge and some of the surrounding area has somehow been coated in extract. A stoneworker apparently ended up sockless and stepped in some. I'm having him observed carefully.

He also has a fever. As he shuffles further inside, the condition turns from "dripping" to "running" with blood. He's actually leaving a trail of blood behind him as he walks to the hospital. There are a couple dead pets inside, too; they're covered in blood and not extract.

His condition moves to "spraying" blood. I doubt he will survive.

Before he reaches the hospital, he goes pale, soon to collapse and die simply for the want of socks. I've ordered sixty pairs of shoes made; I will not have further deaths if I can prevent it.

Day 189

Ordered another thirty pairs of shoes and an expansion of the magma forges. Hopefully, we can move everyone down here eventually - or at least the metalsmiths and those supporting them.

Day 193

Migrants arrived today. As if on cue, it started snowing blood again. We've got a new milker, leatherworker, armorsmith, mason, weaponsmith/doctor, suturer, and bone doctor. Not sure why a milker would come here, to be honest. Our resident suturer started his project today, too. Not sure what he'll do with leather, steel, and rock, but who knows. Near the end of the day, a weaver went melancholy. I think his pet cat melted due to the death-lizard extract.

Day 194

Oh hell yes.

I would have made the thing out of steel and decorated with leather, but I'm not the genius here, so I don't know. Truly a shield for the ages, however.

Day 196

One of the fortress guards said he was depressed by the long patrols, so I gave them a break from their duties. In fact, I might just leave them on break forever. Bloody idiots, throwing hammerdwarves in prison for not making boots.

Day 210

Sandstone passed without many events. We're down to a nice, low number of idlers; it averages out to about three at all times. Impressive, if I may say so myself. It's going to take a lot of hauling to get all of that stone down to the magma, but it'll be worth it, just you wait.

Day 217

The expansion is going well.

The bedrooms won't nearly be enough for the fortress population, but some people should be able to stay down there for now. There's also plenty of room to expand upward if and when needed, though the bottommost levels are reserved for magma-powered industry. We've got ten smelters, five forges, and two glass furnaces thus far. I plan on adding another glass furnace and two kilns, as well as a few more forges. That should be enough to move away from fuel entirely, except when needed for the creation of steel.

Day 220

Caravan arrived today. I've been told the greenskins usually show up shortly afterward, so I've put the military on high alert.

Day 221

Taking a while to unload the goods. I let the military go off alert, and one of the captains somehow got infected with that rot and bled to death. Armok damn it. I'm hoping the rest of the idiots don't decide to remove clothing in the middle of the lizard sauce.

Day 222

Merchants finally got comfortable and the broker came off of his break. Didn't really know what we should be trading for, since we're set on pretty much everything, so I traded a bunch of rags and some trinkets for fresh cloth and leather. Also took all of the wood they brought with off of their hands; we need the charcoal.

I think an elf just died.

Day 258

It was uneventful until Nail decided he wasn't done being an annoying shit.

Fucking nobles. I'm not memorializing you.

Day 267

Ordered the catacombs expanded. The new bedrooms have been dug out almost completely, and work progresses now on the dining room. I'm having the "guests" brought down as soon as construction is complete.

Day 281

No sign of goblins. The dining room's about 3/4 dug out. After that, I hope to begin the mining of adamantine and the construction of the farms down here. We need to get food and drink staying down there; lots of people getting hungry and thirsty during long hauls.

Day 287

As a reward for my efforts, I've been appointed baron of Slingblock! Of course, there is a bit of paperwork the mayor has to do, but I've had a bedroom prepared in the magma level.

Day 330

Not much to say. Things are slow, but good. Dining room's furnished but not smoothed, and we haven't gotten any adamantine out of the ground yet.'

Day 350

Got a bit of adamantine mined, finally. I wonder how much of it we can actually get. Most of it feels hot to the touch, hotter than it really should. That goes away once you get it away from the vein, but still, it makes a dwarf wonder.

Day 355

Damn it all! A squad of axegoblins showed up! Fortunately, a good third of them wandered into traps, and the rest were disassembled by our military. More decorations for the dining hall.

Day 360

Well, that's it for my spiel. I hope the next overseer finishes my tomb. It's next to my new bedroom; feel free to give the old one to someone else. That pond also needs to get finished, and. . . Well, you read the log. You should know what to do.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 01:19:32 am by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28