Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you prefer seeing a graphics pack over ascii?

No, I use ascii myself, and don't like graphic packs.
- 13 (26.5%)
No, ascii is natural, but I don't mind graphic packs
- 9 (18.4%)
Neutral option
- 10 (20.4%)
Graphics packs are better for people
- 5 (10.2%)
I use and like graphic packs, ascii is confusing.
- 12 (24.5%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: The Last Fort [FIN]  (Read 16876 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Fort: Unconventional Warfare means Everybody Loses
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2014, 09:49:23 am »

Thoughts, Year 07:
-The magma sea took about 10 fps from me, but the lessened amount of corpses/undead about seems to mitigate that somewhat.
-The giant outdoor tomb isnt going as well as it could, I suppose.  I want to complete the walls and build a staircase up into it.  I also want to put all the slabs into it.
-I am debating digging down to the pillars, but I want to set up the forges first for armor and traps.
-I dont know why the migrants aren't coming as fast as they could.  I imagine I should be grateful any came at all considering we are supposed to be neigh extinct.

-I also abandoned the fort to view legends.  Things are here:
Spoiler: dog stealin' kill (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: a mace from what? :? (click to show/hide)

---

And here is a list of my civ's kings and gods.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

-Medtob (fortresses)
 Reg (mercy, forgiveness)

seem to be the most prominent, with

-Logem(mountains and jewels)
 Fath (muck)
 Melbil (Writing)

being second string gods.  The others seem more obscure . . .
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 12:10:23 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Fort: The War Forge Goes Hot
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2014, 05:56:25 pm »

Season 30

Excerpts from:
Journal of the Overseer
  Summer, 1058

With the second, full power knight squad coming towards the military I made the executive decision to dispatch the war dogs in force.  Most were given a master and released from their invisible pastures.  A good portion of the dogs will beeline for their new masters, and hopefully they will arrive to make a difference in battle.

However, before the dogs arrived, a horse zombie came topside from the spiral trap and laid waste to a militia member.  Tough creatures.

---

The humans are displaying an odd combat tactic.  They keep coming at us only to retreat before coming within engagement range.  Are they trying to draw us out?  I wonder, for if there is one thing the humans can do well it is cheat their way to victory.  All's fair, and we ain't moving.  The dogs will arrive topside soon enough.

---

One of the braver blue dudes decided he needed a piece of equipment right away and challenged its owner to a duel.  A hammerman without a mount.  A dangerous choice given the weight of a human maul.  I sent the army to support him.

With support the fight didn't last too long, and we retreated to our previous post outside the Depot.  The humans turned to advance towards us again.

The humans did charge us this time, causing havoc on our line.  When one of their lords fell to us, they routed past our depot, killing a few dogs along their way that were slowing them.  The casualties were heavy for us, with about 7 dogs and 2 additional militia members.

---

An armoursmith has fallen into a mood.  He claimed the newly minted magma forge.  I am giddy with excitement.

The mood has produced a breastplate!  Im mildly impressed.
Its made of . . . billon?  Why would you . . . sigh.  Dont we have anything better on hand?  The weaponsmith is crafting a set of steel poking sticks, and smelting has begun with renewed fervor.

---

A month and a half of nothing.  We complete our tower, sans the green glass windows, and clean up a portion of the dead.  Then the other dead decide to invade.

Almost in precise coordination with the undead, a blood-sucking monster appears below.  I order all our gates shut as the dead pour over the land, stranding our elder beekeeper, a pleb, and a lumberdwarf outside to fend for themselves.  Several adopted boars also die.

Our legendary chef was caught cavernside by the beast, and managed to avoid its proboscis long enough for Hinfantry Alpha to curbstomp it.  As we mustered topside a second siege appeared!
The troublesome goblins have come, and are no doubt surprised to see the foul undead.  We muster in the Depot room and open our gate.

---

From the trade depot we saw the master of the undead; the Reptile Man!  The goblins must have spooked him, because he ran off, leaving us to defend the Depot while a pleb ran inside.  We saved one, at least.  When the order to close the Depot was given, a Seabee tried to grab some trinket and got launched.

He landed atop the tomb, after gliding like a bearded flying squirrel.  He has surely broken bones on landing; we must save him!

---

The goblins have broken the zombies, leaving us to fend them off.  Frankly I think I prefer them to the zombies.  Topside, we have just finished the construction of the staircase to the roof of our tomb.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 06:33:03 pm by pisskop »
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Fort: The War Forge Goes Hot
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2014, 12:10:41 pm »

Season 31

Excerpts from:
Journal of the Overseer
  Autumn, 1058

Our fort is no longer under siege, I don't know what happened.  The goblins were fighting and killing the zombies, but more kept coming.  Eventually the goblins left, leaving the significant population of zombies roaming around and scaring the occasional corpse hauler.  We did, at least, save our wounded seabee.

We locked our military in the block room and opened the depot, with the intent of drawing the zombies into the traps.  It was mostly an utter failure, and several cats and adventurous children ran topside to test the zombies resolve.

One of the children ran into a zombie ogre and was pasted.  The ogre than saw our migrant wave, and ran after them.
All things considered, we lost much more from our attempt than we gained.

I have been so lost lately.  Life has lost its luster, and time passes ever slower.  I shall hand the reins over to another, perhaps more ambitious leader.  For my own, I wonder what magma feels like.

Spoiler: epilogue (click to show/hide)

PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Fort: I Wanna Be The Migrant!
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2014, 09:03:37 pm »

Adventurer Segment 01

Spoiler: Prologue (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: skills (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: start (click to show/hide)

On my way to the town, I found two lairs.  Both bore the discussions of monsters, talking of eating flesh or draining blood.  I decided that being naked was not the ideal condition to be hunting these monsters.  I moved on to the grand city.

---

I arrive in town, with my hair serving as my clothin'.  It made sense I was a dwarf, I was always so capable of growing this fine fur coat all over my body.  The peasants and guards let me be, though their eyes followed my in that nervous, uncomfortable way you find the the hunted do, always darting back and forth.
  Inside, I heard stories of olm men and conquest, of horrors and warriors.  I found a sheepskin bag and a nifty bronze mallet thing.  I took it up, and identified it soon enough as more capable against flesh and steel than iron and wood.  A war hammer, perhaps?

Either way, I was told that there were rumors of 'small, wild men' beneath the city, and that I might find some supplies down there as well.

---

Below, I found a trail of corpses and sleepy men on guard.  They were quite easy to sneak by.  the dead, struck down with the spear and bolt.  Odd though, the velocities of the bolts should have been much greater.  No matter, I found a dead dwarf with a robe and gloves.  Since anything was better than my current state, I quickly grabbed them and a coinpurse,  readjusted my posture.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 10:16:22 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2014, 10:03:57 pm »

Adventurer Segment 02

As soon as I crossed the threshold to the door I was assaulted by a lone swordsman.  Wielding the blade with the drunken confidence of the foolish he knocked me aside and forced my hand.  As I was naked, all I had on me was my recently acquired coinpurse, which I threw at him.  Well gods smile upon me, the purse crushed his bones and crippled him for me.

Dispatching the human easily, I crossed around a pit.  I should have been paying more attention, because a bolt flew out of the darkness and smashed into me
I hid and crawled away,. hoping he would be unable to follow.  two hours later, I was feeling better and resumed my progress.
  I was, however, growing hungry.  I must find sustenance somewhere . . .

---

Below me, at the bottom of the pit, I found old and discarded armor discarded haphazardly.  Picking up a boot, I threw it at the crossbowman, who had assumed a relaxed posture.  I missed, but the second boot found its mark well.
  The target was easily taken care of after that, and his quiver made me capable of storing goods for the first time since I left town.  Oh, I miss it, the simple pleasure of the hamlet-life.

---
With my wound taken care of and the bolt removed I moved on.
  In the next section, I came across a room full of moderately valued loot.  It lead to a second room which I heard voices from.  Inside,  I saw a living dwarf ahead, talking quietly with a companion of some sort.

As I passed the doorway I was scarcely able to utter a greeting before I was under attack from the dwarf and human.  Not the smartest types, the were quite easy to dodge, and a well aimed toss of the my dagger was enough to send the human running away without his hand.

He seemed so frightened by the loss of his hand he stopped the fight and ran off while I dealt with the dwarf one to one.  The bandit lay, beaten and battered at my feet, breathing his last breathes.  I asked him of our home.  Between his groans, I gathered we were scattered and destroyed by the elves of the south.  He had heard rumors of a new fort in the south, however, and said the mountainhomes might well live on 'in the land of the goblin kings, where the dead meet those who wish to emulate them',  Whatever that means, Ill deal with it after I get some gear.

As the dwarf slipped into unconsciousness I ended his plight with a quick tap to the head.  A noble death, to die with a weapon in hand.  The human who ran off left a small trail of blood leading deeper into the dark.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 10:23:57 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2014, 10:10:55 pm »

Adventure Segment 03

The trail led me into an elongated room packed with small gems and little figurines.  Looking around, I saw the blood trail lead to a door to the south.  Entering it attracted the attention of an elf, who fought as the human ran further away.

The human was finally cornered the next room over.  With nowhere to run, he fought with all of his strength.  Although he lost his spear, he had a shield he was determined to beat me to death with.  And with his size bonus he made a decent run at it, especially given my poorly armoured state.

Finally,. he collapsed and I was able to finish him.  I was now on a mission to find either decent armor or food.  It was dunny, I felt almost as if I had been here before.

Somehow, I knew I was close to something I would prize and keep.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2014, 12:56:01 pm »

Adventure Segment 04

The next room contained the body of a well equipped dwarf.  Although he had no armor on him, he had redundant clothing and almost fifty iron bolts.

I dont know who he was or why he was here, but I am glad to have found him.  With his gear I organized my own inventory and armor layers and prepared to go back topside.

---

I may or may not have forgotten to sneak back topside.  It wouldnt be a thing, except for the bolt that was aimed at my face.  Thankfully the door was still open and I scrambled through it to the darkness.

The figure who walked through the door wasn't a bowman, but rather a pikeman.  Apparently there were two of them in that room.  I was quickly seen in my corner, however, I was also prepared with the new iron bolts I had. 
A bolt later, he was on the ground and I was ready to disarm him.  Gah, I also forgot the shield.  Hopefully not a deal.

Well, it let me play with a pike, so Im okay with no shield.
Now onto the crossbowman

---

Sneaking slowly into the room, I got a good sight on the human before he got his first shot off.  What followed after was what amounted a sparring practice, with me dodging shots and failing to wrestle the man.  I even tried to bash him into submission, however he was more than agile enough to dodge.  Several minutes later, and after I had climbed up and back down a statue for the sake of survival I got tired and threw a bolt at him, dart style.

Now to get out.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 12:59:48 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2014, 01:18:35 pm »

Adventure Segment 05

Sneaking to the floor above, I find myself surrounded by new hostiles.  Apparently the ruler of these criminals was holed up in a rather inconspicuous room with several friends.  He seemed to know I was here, and sent out new patrols after threatening to kill me.  Not referring to any name or species, he called me 'us', so I doubt he knows that much at all.
right by the door?, not fair.  Know what else isnt fair?  Getting tangled with a dwarf and falling over.  Cause that evens us out.

---

The next room found me even more trouble.  A second swordsman ambushed me, crippling me immediately.  My legs was split open like a log in a firepit, and was sure to leave a nasty scar.  Worse, I was being stabbed in the gut.  A chance throw of the iron bolt  lands on his kneecap, ending him to the ground and we took turns hitting each other and passing out over the exertion.  Every time I woke up I praised my gods, err the human gods, for their continued blessing and trying again to save my own hide.
Finally, it was over, and I dared not sleep again until I left the sewer.  Avoiding one more patrol, I crawled to the staircase topside, sleeping in it for fear of the patrols.

---

I also found an ear of a man I killed two or three rooms and a z level up from the deed.  I recognize it, but I never took his ear.  Odd.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 01:43:41 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2014, 01:35:39 pm »

Adventure Segment 06

Emerging from my pit as the Sun rose over the Eastern Seas I found myself unable to stand.  'What was wrong?' was a fleeting question for me, as the massive scar that took up half my leg indicated it would never support my weight again.  My foot was a jumble, and there was probably some tendon or another down there that had failed.

The Lords of the keep, of which there were many, would offer me no crutch upon which to stand.  Instead they offered a recruit crossbowman to guide me to 'the land of dead goblin kings and those who emulate it.'  Or whatever that dwarf had said.  They said they knew where it was, and as repayment for my deeds they would grant me passage to see its fall.
  I was quite confused until they explained how the fortress had killed an olm man who was visiting.  They told me they had been encouraging freelancers to attack the dwarves in revenge, and were actually thinking of sending a peaceful envoy as a means of re-establishing trade.

Since I was a dwarf and I had done them no favors down in the sewer (they claimed the men murdered were wanted by other civilizations, in 'far off lands') they would consider this my just payment.  I was reluctant to agree, but in the end I had little choice in the matter.  I took the recruit with me and scoured the town for a carpenter.

There were several imported good shops and shops full of cheap and oversized clothing, but no carpenter existed within the town, it would appear.  A metalsmith was present, selling only cheap copper bolts, and a weaponsmith was selling various qualities of weapons.  I picked up a silver hammer and scoffed at the abundance of copper.  Apparently tin and iron were both much scarcer than copper, for even their armorsmith carried only large copper wares.

As I finished my rounds, I was resolved to make it to this 'woodwitches' one way or another.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 01:47:49 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Fort: Leg Like a Hole
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2014, 03:56:41 pm »

Adventure Segment 07

Outside of town, we stopped by lairs we passed by.  There should be crutches somewhere in the world.

Lairs gave way to abandoned fortress and city-sized tombs.
Which were either cursed or abandoned.  We moved on into a serene forest filled with caves.  A whole society of elven cavern dwellers, all hostile to me and all in need of cleansing vengeance.

One by one or two by two we went from cave to cave smashed their heads in, with hammer and crossbow.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 04:00:13 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2014, 03:59:49 pm »

Adventure Segment 08

They eventually grew desperate, and charged out of their pits to die.

Some were better equipped than others, but all fell before the reincarnate wrath of the dwarves.  through it all my companion spent his bolts and gained a new title and occupation.
Spoiler: My companion (click to show/hide)
Thola and Ur, Two hammerers fighting against the pompous elves.

Halfway through, the elves sent in their wolf pack.
We sent the wolves back, and cleansed another pit . . .

And found a prize worthy of my taking.
A crutch!  My stars, I could stand again!  I shall spend the day training.

I then prepped my inventory and juggled my crutch and hammer into one hand; then we spent the rest of the day jovially, dining on the last of the plump helmets I found in the sewers on that body.  Tomorrow we march.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 04:14:15 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2014, 04:33:55 pm »

What's with the cave elves? Are they just a giant collection of elf outcasts that happens to live close to eachother?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2014, 04:44:15 pm »

What's with the cave elves? Are they just a giant collection of elf outcasts that happens to live close to eachother?

Yup, most of the caves seem to be filled with elves.  Not by my modding.  I expect as all the supernatural cave dwellers died out the elves moved in.  A few even had hero names.  I did jam the caves into that particular world gen spec.  To try to mitigate the loss of semi-megabeasts and kobolds.  I imagine that as immortals they were able to commit more crimes and flee away to live alone as hermits or couples.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 05:29:43 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2014, 05:53:48 pm »

Could it be that they were werebeasts and vampires? I guess some of them were naked...
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2014, 07:52:33 pm »

I suppose.  Now Im kinda sad.  I guess I could raid some at night.  There's bound to be more.

---

LOL

« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 08:14:26 am by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7