Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DF unplayable (FPS)  (Read 3188 times)

Kluten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF unplayable (FPS)
« on: July 18, 2014, 05:04:08 am »

Hey guys. I was really excited about the new version but after playing for a while it really started lagging. I had around 60 dwarfs with no rivers and ive only hit 1 underground cave.
Now why do i have 2-20 FPS? Any ideas on what to do? On 0.30.14 i could have atleast 150 dwarves on my old computer. Now i have a high end gaming PC and its really sad that i still cant play DF without having FPS issues.

Any tips on how to fix this? Build smaller forts?

The map im playing on is Small, Medium History.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF unplayable (FPS)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 05:55:30 am »

Short history seems to make a massive difference. I'm having no problem maintaining 80-100FPS with 90 dwarves, on a small world with worldgen stopped at 50 years.

lianopbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 06:29:10 am »

40.03 is still VERY unstable, there is pathing issues with climbing and new trees

I spend time making a world and finding a cool embark  but my 20 dwarves fortress is unplayable, I have some insane FPS drops sometimes and  then the game crash

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 07:12:08 am »

I had over 100 dwarves and maybe 150 years history and it still ran faster than the last version in the same situation. I retired the fortress, returned and it was too slow to play. So unretiring seems to cause massive FPS drop.

Wumpi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 10:47:50 am »

Small map, short history (125years or so,) 3x3 or smaller embark. Patch up any water leaks. Wall off old mines and maybe the cavern if you have no need of them. Limit pathing and maybe even paint down some hints for the game's pathing system. set your dumpzone under an atom smasher to help with item overflow. If all else fails, you can start looking into disabling weather or temperature.

Gaming rigs don't help overmuch with dwarf fortress. All you need is a fast processor. I hear dwarf fortress isn't designed for multicore usage.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 10:52:04 am »

i get 30 FPS at much at the start and then reduces to like 15 FPS.... we have to wait the next patches as bugs and other problems get fixed.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 11:46:56 am »

Only processor architecture will really improve game speed. The living world for this version is sure to weigh it down, too, its gonna be slower, even once the bugs are fixed. Get a Has well, that's what I'm doing

Dorf and Dumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 12:45:00 pm »

What I don't get is why FPS drops from 35 to 20 based on whether you are looking at the surface or an internal rock layer.  It sure doesn't seem like drawing the screen is that slow when you flip up and down the mineshaft.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 01:42:51 pm »

Fliers will kill your fps too, just station military near them to chase them off.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 02:49:50 pm »

Fliers will kill your fps too, just station military near them to chase them off.
Or wait for the trees to claim them.

Small map, short history (125years or so,) 3x3 or smaller embark. Patch up any water leaks. Wall off old mines and maybe the cavern if you have no need of them. Limit pathing and maybe even paint down some hints for the game's pathing system. set your dumpzone under an atom smasher to help with item overflow. If all else fails, you can start looking into disabling weather or temperature.

Gaming rigs don't help overmuch with dwarf fortress. All you need is a fast processor. I hear dwarf fortress isn't designed for multicore usage.

A while ago someone wrote an elementary multicore implementation of the SDL library for dwarf fortress(I don't know the details of how it works). In a rare instance of Toady One using community code, he picked it up. So DF runs on precisely two processes.

The only other time I can think of is the real-geology mod that tweaked melting points/densities/etc for rocks to match their real-world equivalents, making gabbro, basalt, etc magma-safe.

In the bad old days, there was only bauxite. -shudder-

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 04:56:49 pm »

I think some of the new FPS problems can be avoided to some degree such as those created by long histories but the pathing related ones aren't as easy to fix. Always kill or chase fliers off your map immediately. Their pathing is so buggy it can actually crash the game in addition to the massive FPS hit. Their pathing has been broken for years but when the new versions additions were piled on top of it the problem was multiplied.

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 05:19:09 pm »

Here you guys are complaining about 20 fps with 60 dwarves, And I get 40 fps with just the starting 7 and short history.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Gukag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 06:42:47 am »

That, I've been using the starter pack, there's the option for graphical fps cap, setting it to 25 from 50 improved my fps tremedously.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 08:10:01 am »

DF, much like Starcraft 2 seems to have its performance determined more by shifts in the ether than actual hardware. I mean, I just bought a shitty average work laptop and I ran a stable decentish FPS fort for years until everyone inevitably drowned themselves trying to climb the volcano.

Dorf and Dumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 07:55:37 am »

I _think_ "cull unimportant historical figures" on world gen settings helps, maybe capping number of civilians lower also; I capped the number of dwarves at 40 but that got ignored; I tried "standard" instead of "2d" but I don't know if it helped.
Pages: [1] 2